Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatestAmericanBeardo

Tucked or un-tucked?

ok, I'm sure i'll get some crap for this, (kinda the reason i'm asking it) but here goes.  

So how do you rock your hockeying sweaters?  tucked or untucked? and why?

heres the reason i ask...   last night played a pretty chippy team. (we puled out the W) and we have every right to hate the way they were playing. (7 trips to the sin bin for them 1 for us BTW) I was putting in work against the boards lifting sticks and sweeping the puck.  and being a general pain in the a$$.  nothing dirty, just playing hard and getting them of the puck when i could.

LAST face off of the game, I line up with a guy who WAS playing D earlier in the night. (maybe out to goon it up) Before the puck drops, the dude says, "man, i don't know why, but my whole team HATES you!" so i'm like "what WHY?"   puck drops, its gets cleared and we follow it. i ask him again "why"  dude: "don't know, they were just so pissed off every time you're on the ice"    

So i'm thinking it may have a little to do with my look.  yes i do a half tuck (gretzky'ish) on the right side, but its more the front then the back. and no i'm not any where near the great one. that said, being a lefty, i've gotten the end of my stick tied up in the bottom of my jersey before, so i've learned to tuck the right side. It if functional for me. to add to that, is the 6 inch beard blowing around with a half shield to cover my beautiful green eyes. i'm not wearing 99, or 88, or 66. running this season with #13 (unless theres now a datsyuk stigma attached to 13, but who could hate on a guy who has so many Lady Byngs.

GAB  

I had the same thing happen last year, regarding being told a team hates me.

I was once told an entire team hates me because they have a girl on their team and that "last time we played you, you grabbed her tit" (direct quote).

I guess it wasn't from taking the puck from her every time, or knocking her down numerous times because she can't skate and has no balance... No, she hates me because apparently at some point during the course of a game I may have put a gloved hand on her shoulder pad covered chest. 

Ive said it before and I'll say it again: I don't check to see if you have a ponytail before I make a play. 

People's fashion decisions on the ice would not nearly be enough to annoy me, as a skater or goalie.

Although there's one guy on my team and I wish so much that he would just go buy new pants because they're so battered and shredded and missing huge chunks of the nylon and it offends my sense of order.  But he's a decent guy and an excellent player so what really annoys me is how often he gets the puck past me.  ;) 

I suspect JW is right, that or the guy is just trying to throw you off a bit by saying his team hates you.

27 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

I suspect JW is right, that or the guy is just trying to throw you off a bit by saying his team hates you.

yeah, this was also my thought, but i didn't think so, since it happened with 0:23 left on the clock.

then the pest i shall be  :wink:  

3 hours ago, badger_14 said:

People's fashion decisions on the ice would not nearly be enough to annoy me, as a skater or goalie.

Although there's one guy on my team and I wish so much that he would just go buy new pants because they're so battered and shredded and missing huge chunks of the nylon and it offends my sense of order.  But he's a decent guy and an excellent player so what really annoys me is how often he gets the puck past me.  ;) 

Always seems the guys with the crappiest gear tend to be the best players. 

I like to try new things too much to have my gear get old like that. I also hate damaged stuff so there's that too.

6 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

I was once told an entire team hates me because they have a girl on their team and that "last time we played you, you grabbed her tit" (direct quote).

I guess it wasn't from taking the puck from her every time, or knocking her down numerous times because she can't skate and has no balance... No, she hates me because apparently at some point during the course of a game I may have put a gloved hand on her shoulder pad covered chest. 

Ive said it before and I'll say it again: I don't check to see if you have a ponytail before I make a play. 

scrimmaged a guy last week with a longer ponytail then the girl who's line i skate on.  (yes, its HER line. she owns it out there)

Don't take offense but maybe it's the way you play. What can be playing good strong hockey to you may be seen as cross checking, slashing, etc. Add to that the way you look and people start to think you're out there gooning it up. We play against a team that has one player no one on our team likes and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything good about him that wasn't on his team. He's average at best but thinks he's a lot better than he is and is the first one to take a cheap shot but won't man up when you confront him.

Personally, I don't care what a person looks like as long as they are good human beings. Our goalie has the nastiest dread locks that go to his waist. One of our better players looks like a homeless guy with skates on (his gear is tattered). Both guys are good people and good team mates. Who cares if your shirt is tucked or untucked, whatever works for that person.

I always wear a tuck in the back just so the jersey is out of my way to stretch out for passes. I've always liked a tighter fitting jersey so if it isn't tucked in the back I normally can't extend out as far with my stick. 

37 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

Don't take offense but maybe it's the way you play. What can be playing good strong hockey to you may be seen as cross checking, slashing, etc. Add to that the way you look and people start to think you're out there gooning it up. We play against a team that has one player no one on our team likes and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything good about him that wasn't on his team. He's average at best but thinks he's a lot better than he is and is the first one to take a cheap shot but won't man up when you confront him.

Personally, I don't care what a person looks like as long as they are good human beings. Our goalie has the nastiest dread locks that go to his waist. One of our better players looks like a homeless guy with skates on (his gear is tattered). Both guys are good people and good team mates. Who cares if your shirt is tucked or untucked, whatever works for that person.

No offence taken.  But I DO try and play a bit if a gentleman's finesse type of game   I'm all but 5'9' 160 so goon is not what I'm about.  More of a pest like JW said.  I was talking with a coworker today (who plays on another team) he said I'm very distinguishable out there.  It took him two seconds to spot me on the ice after his game ended on the next rink over. Guess I do look like no one else in the league, TOTALLY. Ok with that ;)    Handshakes with every other team (but this one) are usually "great beard", and "BURNSY!"  

Also heard, these guy used to be top of the league for years and have fallen off. Maybe their lack of step gets directed at the guy you can pick out of a line up...  Not that I've ever BEEN in a line up.  

Edit: remember my coworker's quote: "you're like a Brand out there". Were both graphic designers.

5 minutes ago, tedpenguins said:

I always wear a tuck in the back just so the jersey is out of my way to stretch out for passes. I've always liked a tighter fitting jersey so if it isn't tucked in the back I normally can't extend out as far with my stick. 

So that's why guys do that...

20 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

Also heard, these guy used to be top of the league for years and have fallen off. Maybe their lack of step gets directed at the guy you can pick out of a line up...  Not that I've ever BEEN in a line up.  

Oh, must be the Rockets......  #9 is one of the largest douches I have ever had the pleasure of playing against.

you probably shouldve known you were in for it when you played a team called the Phillips Norelcos.

23 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

scrimmaged a guy last week with a longer ponytail then the girl who's line i skate on.  (yes, its HER line. she owns it out there)

lol

I'm guessing it's the beard.  It's definitely longer than six inches.  Have you measured it?  Anything that makes you stand out as a player, expect to be chirped for it.  Haha, I knew to ask if you were the Greatest American Beardo because of it.  I don't tuck my jersey, but because of my pants it gets tucked in the back sometimes.

The guy with the pony tail's an awesome dude, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  And I was told to shut her down at the scrimmage, but it was a scrimmage so I half-assed it and didn't bother actually putting pressure on her.  I normally step up on people who try that pull it through their legs and bounce it off their inside edge move. She did have two goals if I remember correctly.  I want to ask Paul if his 88 is for Lindros or Kane.

1 minute ago, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

lol

I'm guessing it's the beard.  It's definitely longer than six inches.  Have you measured it?  Anything that makes you stand out as a player, expect to be chirped for it.  Haha, I knew to ask if you were the Greatest American Beardo because of it.  I don't tuck my jersey, but because of my pants it gets tucked in the back sometimes.

The guy with the pony tail's an awesome dude, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  And I was told to shut her down at the scrimmage, but it was a scrimmage so I half-assed it and didn't bother actually putting pressure on her.  I normally step up on people who try that pull it through their legs and bounce it off their inside edge move. She did have two goals if I remember correctly.  I want to ask Paul if his 88 is for Lindros or Kane.

yeah that guy is super mellow, but you have to admit he's like one of the Allman Brothers out there (HA! like i have room to talk) and yeah the beard is just about 6 from the chin. its the width they gets'em.   and i expect and get the chirps, but usually its "hey Brent Burns!"  

i do the bounce it of the inside move, but its usually b/c i've lost it off my stick and HAVE to kick it back up.  

For me, I look at it as a practical thing.  Untucked, the sweater flops in the air creating drag.  I know some will say that said drag is miniscule in nature but honestly, try it both ways and you will see that 'untucked' the sweater acts like a sail and does increase drag.  Sure, you aren't going to gain 5 more miles per hour by having it tucked in -- probably less than 1 mph to be frank, but it is easier to skate IMHO.  Also, try it when the sweater is wet with sweat!  Like carrying around a wet towel!.  However, for me anyway, untucked, I feel cooler (temperature-wise -- I am a nerd -- so I did not want to give off the idea that it had to do with my social status! XD) when I skate.  However, when tucked, there seems to me anyways, less ocurrences of snagging the sweater on the butt-end of someone's stick.  However, when tucked, there's less chance to get 'undressed' if you don't have or aren't using a fight strap (I always thought that there was some kind of sexual innuendo in calling it that...)  For me, I just usually keep it inside my belt-line/kidney area of my hockey pants.  Just seems to work out better that way.

If the wind resistance of an untucked jersey hurts you in any way chess may be a better sport to play. Modern jerseys don't soak up and hold water like the old school, wool sweaters. I've never felt or seen an untucked act like a sail unless it is way to big. As for tucked vs untucked in fighting, they are both getting grabbed a hold of just as easy since you pretty much grab at the shoulder or collar.

IMO it's all about comfort and habit.

On 4/5/2016 at 9:47 AM, OptimusReim said:

I never understood this. I've played teams with women on them. These teams get mad if the ladies get bumped into on accident. If women want to play with men, I'm all for it. That's great. At the end of the day though, if they get bumped into, just like everyone else, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's hockey. It's going to happen. That's why everyone wears pads. It's hard to sometimes notice who you can play rough with and who you can't.

I start with it untucked, but the back almost always ends up tucked behind the spine protector on my pants.  I'll fish it out every once in a while, but it seems to just find its way back.  I don't really notice it so I just leave it that way a lot of the time.

5 hours ago, LoneStar77 said:

I start with it untucked, but the back almost always ends up tucked behind the spine protector on my pants.  I'll fish it out every once in a while, but it seems to just find its way back.  I don't really notice it so I just leave it that way a lot of the time.

I had the same problem, except the fact that it tucked itself bothered me. My poor man's solution was to modify a cheap pair of hockey suspenders to run from the back of my pants up to my shoulder pads. Kinda like a fight strap (which my jersey doesnt have). That prevents it from tucking on the fly.