Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Stephen7

Base Hockey shafts, blades and new features

Hello,

I am Stephen, a rep from Base Hockey. This topic is to add information for a new line of products and features from our company. My first post was in the Roller Hockey Equipment forum as one of our new retail features is "blade flex" that was inspired by there not being a blade designed for a lighter inline hockey puck. This new feature is not roller specific however, and adds a new option to combine with stick flex and kick-points. All of the Base Hockey curves are now available in (R) Regular, (S) Stiff, and (XS) Xtra Stiff.

In addition to offering blade flex, we also now offer a tapered .520 shaft in models Supernatural (mid kick) and Nasty R (dual low kick). These shafts can be ordered in flexes 75-120 in variables of 5.... 75, 80, 85, 90 and so on. Finishes are customizable with options of

• Clear gloss
  • Clear Powder Matte
  • Grip Gloss
  • Grip Powder Matte

The new blade flex feature can be ordered in either a OPS, shaft and blade combo, or .520 tapered blade.

These features have been offered to NHL players for years and adds a new variable for the retail public. All 3 blades play completely differently when used with the same shaft flex and kick point.

I am located in the Southern California area if anyone wants to see these products and features in person.

The bottom two shafts in the following photo are for demo purposes and not the standard graphics. Name and number can also be added to the sticks or shafts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: I have received a lot of inquiries on how to order shafts and/or blades. The following link is where we are directing customers at this time..

http://www.basehockey.ca/shafts-blades

ui3W8v0.jpg

Edited by Stephen7
  • Like 7

Great to see you here @Stephen7

I love Base products are have found them very durable and reliable with solid performance. Even though I've tried 4 of your patterns now, I'm still to find something perfect for me, but I do applaud Base for offering so many unique offerings. It's amazing to see a company still offering Polarfibre grip, my favorite by far!

Can you elaborate about the how the different blade flexes effect the feel and performance? Can you compare the feel of the different flexes to how other retail offerings?

I've found the Nasty-R blade was similar to a One95, but slightly more crisp and the regular blade similar to the old SE16 IMO.

I love Base products are have found them very durable and reliable with solid performance. Even though I've tried 4 of your patterns now, I'm still to find something perfect for me, but I do applaud Base for offering so many unique offerings. It's amazing to see a company still offering Polarfibre grip, my favorite by far!

Can you elaborate about the how the different blade flexes effect the feel and performance? Can you compare the feel of the different flexes to how other retail offerings?

I've found the Nasty-R blade was similar to a One95, but slightly more crisp and the regular blade similar to the old SE16 IMO.

I used a BASE BC71 Malkin Pro blade for awhile, I cannot recall the style- Supernatural or something like that. The blade was very stiff (which was fine), but also thick. It was so thick that stickhandling felt awkward. How thin are your blades now, compared to the standard (Bauer, Warrior, etc.)?

Also, I loved the Malkin Pro, except that it had just a bit too much toe, again making stickhandling a bit awkward. I loved how closed the face was, and I loved the curve otherwise (toe curve or mid toe), just felt like I was trying to stickhandle with a banana.

Do you have this curve available, but toned down so that the curve is about half the size?

I notice that the blades on my SuperNatural and Nasty sticks have the checkerboard appearance like your Xtra Stiff blade whereas my Savoy Specials look like the other blades. I'd like to know what blade stiffness my sticks have. Thanks.

On 4/28/2016 at 3:04 PM, Larry54 said:

I notice that the blades on my SuperNatural and Nasty sticks have the checkerboard appearance like your Xtra Stiff blade whereas my Savoy Specials look like the other blades. I'd like to know what blade stiffness my sticks have. Thanks.

The Supernatural and Nasty sticks have a very stiff blade. The Savoy has a softer blade than both of those and is still slightly stiffer than our new (S) Stiff blade.

• Like 1

Is there any chance to try Base sticks in Europe/Germany or are there plans to sell them here? Read about the sticks in this forum years ago and always wanted to try them. Especially when i see Tyler McNeely play with them here in Rosenheim.

On 4/28/2016 at 10:09 AM, malcb33 said:

The (R) and (S) blades are something completely new. All of these new blade features are top notch materials and you are not choosing budget vs performance vs durability. The blade flex is simply an added feature to factor in as you would shaft flex and kick-point. The blade flex feature allows for a softer feel and you to have the ability to load the blade a bit into your shot.

During the testing phase of these blades I mixed and matched shaft flexes many times to dial in exactly the right combination. I am personally a shaft and blade guy. I love the fact that I don't have to see a new stick come on the market and hope I get the right combination of kick-point, stick flex and blade flex or softness. Being able to separate the blade from the shaft allows you to mix and match and dial it in exact. And if you get it wrong, it's not a lifelong commitment... you could try one blade flex on a shaft flex and if it's not correct for your game, mix it up until it's right. Mixing combinations for me was fun and eye opening and a variable I believe shouldn't have been exclusive to professionals only.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2016 at 3:41 PM, Tom90 said:

Is there any chance to try Base sticks in Europe/Germany or are there plans to sell them here? Read about the sticks in this forum years ago and always wanted to try them. Especially when i see Tyler McNeely play with them here in Rosenheim.

I will definitely see if that is an option and keep you posted.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2016 at 0:18 PM, Cosmic said:

I used a BASE BC71 Malkin Pro blade for awhile, I cannot recall the style- Supernatural or something like that. The blade was very stiff (which was fine), but also thick. It was so thick that stickhandling felt awkward. How thin are your blades now, compared to the standard (Bauer, Warrior, etc.)?

Also, I loved the Malkin Pro, except that it had just a bit too much toe, again making stickhandling a bit awkward. I loved how closed the face was, and I loved the curve otherwise (toe curve or mid toe), just felt like I was trying to stickhandle with a banana.

Do you have this curve available, but toned down so that the curve is about half the size?

No the blades are not thick. I have not personally handled the BC71 pro blade. But I know Malkin is specific in what he has requested from us. Perhaps that is how he wanted them, and probably remolded from something he already had and liked. All of the demo blades I have on hand are on par with what you see from other manufactures.

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The Nasty R has the thinnest blade out of all the sticks we currently offer, so if you're looking for a thinner blade that is as stiff as the SuperNatural, you might want to try that. Your best bet is a fitting session, where you'll be able to try out different sticks, blades, shafts, flexes, curves, etc. That way, you'll know for sure if you like a blade, shaft, or stick before you buy it. Soon, you'll be able to try out different blade stiffness as well, so stay tuned.

As for another closed toe curve that's not as deep: I don't think we currently offer a curve exactly like that. The BC10 Russell (a taller Hossa pro) has a straight heel which is good for stickhandling, but it's a lot more open and still very deep right at the toe. Are you a lefty or a righty? There are a few pro curves that are only offered in one handedness, so there might be an option for you there.

There's also a certain "classic" closed mid-toe curve that we don't offer right now but that I inquired about recently. That might be exactly what you're looking for: A stickhandler's dream. We have a spare blade with that curve, but we'd have to digitize it first in order to offer it on our sticks and as tapered blades. Again, stay tuned for a lot of new developments in the next few months!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrData said:

The Nasty R has the thinnest blade out of all the sticks we currently offer, so if you're looking for a thinner blade that is as stiff as the SuperNatural, you might want to try that. Your best bet is a fitting session, where you'll be able to try out different sticks, blades, shafts, flexes, curves, etc. That way, you'll know for sure if you like a blade, shaft, or stick before you buy it. Soon, you'll be able to try out different blade stiffness as well, so stay tuned.

As for another closed toe curve that's not as deep: I don't think we currently offer a curve exactly like that. The BC10 Russell (a taller Hossa pro) has a straight heel which is good for stickhandling, but it's a lot more open and still very deep right at the toe. Are you a lefty or a righty? There are a few pro curves that are only offered in one handedness, so there might be an option for you there.

There's also a certain "classic" closed mid-toe curve that we don't offer right now but that I inquired about recently. That might be exactly what you're looking for: A stickhandler's dream. We have a spare blade with that curve, but we'd have to digitize it first in order to offer it on our sticks and as tapered blades. Again, stay tuned for a lot of new developments in the next few months!

I am Right Handed.

I am far from a "stickhandler" or dangler; which is why I require something pretty specific. I am presently in a W88, which suits me well enough, I just wish that the face was more closed and that the curve was a bit more toward the toe, as my shots have a tendency to sail exceptionally high with something like a P92, "highish" with my W88 (I have to really focus to bring my shots down), but with the BC71 or the Kovalchuck retail, my shots were pretty much perfect. As mentioned, the BC71 gave me handling issues, and the Kovalchuk retail as well was a problem with handling due to its high lie and complete lack of rocker. (I like a mild to moderate rocker, as in the W88, which is perfect for me.)

So yes, I am interested to see what you have in store regarding the closed mid-toe curve. Sounds like a Gionta retail, perhaps? I have never used, but everyone tells me that it would suit my mechanics (or lack thereof). And with the Malkin, of course, I figured you made it for and to his liking. If I had more skill/ hand eye coordination, then I could likely manage the big hook when handling, but what can ya do?

Question RE: blade stiffness options -

How do the 3 new options compare to your older blades, specifically replacement blades?  (I use a two piece set up as well.)  Where do the older blades fit on the stiffness scale?

Also, how will the stiffness affect blade feel, specifically receiving hard passes? One of the things I love about the Base blades I have is the puck doesn't bounce off of them.  (I have stone hands, particularly when catching hard passes.) 

I am also interested in whatever new toe curve you may have available.  (Hopefully for righties.)  I currently use the BC10, my only issues are 1.) it is a little too open, and 2.) the lie is slightly higher than I would prefer. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

Question RE: blade stiffness options -

How do the 3 new options compare to your older blades, specifically replacement blades?  (I use a two piece set up as well.)  Where do the older blades fit on the stiffness scale?

Also, how will the stiffness affect blade feel, specifically receiving hard passes? One of the things I love about the Base blades I have is the puck doesn't bounce off of them.  (I have stone hands, particularly when catching hard passes.) 

I am also interested in whatever new toe curve you may have available.  (Hopefully for righties.)  I currently use the BC10, my only issues are 1.) it is a little too open, and 2.) the lie is slightly higher than I would prefer

Thanks!

Join the club - I often feel like I've swapped out my gloves for cinderblocks before hitting the ice. The softer blades will accentuate the deadening effect on passes to a greater extent than the current blades. There's a video in the works to visually show the difference in pass reception between the three blades, but it's a bit of a technical challenge, so it might be a while. These blades were inspired by a lighter inline puck that just bounces off stiff blades, but they'll also help the average ice hockey player (who doesn't have hands like Kane) catch passes. After all, most of the time in a game you won't have the puck without catching a pass first.

As for the BC10's lie, that may be a rocker or stick length issue. It's a lie 5, which is definitely on the low end of the scale. But hey - personal preference is the name of the game.

This thread makes me so happy.  I have been using easton tapered blades (synthesis, synergy 2, synergy elite, se16, mako2) for years, but i only have one left and cannot find anymore in my pattern (E3/sakic).  I have tried Reebok and they were okay, but those are not around anymore either. Based on what i can see, would the stiff option be my best bet if I were going for the easton style of blade?  Also, are there different finish options for the tapered blades?

Thanks.

• Like 1

For 2 piece players...This is really great to read.  Many previous options have disappeared in the market.  But the reality is many people do not realize the benefits of the 2 piece.  I even have to let other parents know that they can extend their kids old stick with a shaft extension (amazing really)

1st.  I have seen Base Fitting sessions in the Chicagoland area rinks.  I do not live the the Chicagoland area, but we play alot of games in the area.  Do you guys have a rep in the area and who would that be?  I have used a Broken Savoy special stick as a 2pc set-up and it has the "Flexxiness" that I think all sticks should have.

I am interested in learning more on your 2 pc options.  Is your website up to date or should one look at Facebook or somewhere else?

19 hours ago, MrData said:

I'm guessing this "classic " closed mid-toe curve has a square toe?

If it is the curve I think it is, I would be so much much desirable if the toe was rounded off a bit. I think introducing that curve is very smart considering how a few very popular players use it.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

For 2 piece players...This is really great to read.  Many previous options have disappeared in the market.  But the reality is many people do not realize the benefits of the 2 piece.  I even have to let other parents know that they can extend their kids old stick with a shaft extension (amazing really)

1st.  I have seen Base Fitting sessions in the Chicagoland area rinks.  I do not live the the Chicagoland area, but we play alot of games in the area.  Do you guys have a rep in the area and who would that be?  I have used a Broken Savoy special stick as a 2pc set-up and it has the "Flexxiness" that I think all sticks should have.

I am interested in learning more on your 2 pc options.  Is your website up to date or should one look at Facebook or somewhere else?

Our guy in Chicago is out of Wisconsin, so he's not always there. I'll PM you his contact info and you can give him a call yourself in order to figure out a time that works for both of you. He'll have a bunch of shafts and blades as well as OPS that you can try out at a fitting.

As for the two-piece options that we offer right now: We have always offered Savoy Special blades and shafts, so you might like those. The other three sticks (Nasty, Nasty R, SuperNatural) have blade+shaft options coming up, but aren't yet available as of today. Stephen is the expert there so he'll have the details when they're fleshed out.

On 4/29/2016 at 7:02 AM, JoeyJ0506 said:

Any chance that Kovalev's blade pattern becomes available at any point?

I actually asked the same question when first joining Base as I know this is one of the popular pro curves going back to the Innovative days. If I recall correctly, it is a standard .620 and not .520. At this point I think it's fair to say that it is not a retail option. However, if there are enough requests perhaps this is something that could happen in the future.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2016 at 7:22 AM, hawkeyfan said:

As per MSH guidelines I cannot post direct contact information for me. However, we are in the process of getting a link on the Base website with the new products as well as my contact information. I think I own every quality shaft ever made in the last 20 years. If there's one thing I love it's sticks and how they impact your game.

On 4/29/2016 at 6:48 AM, Jrbears10 said:

Also, are there different finish options for the tapered blades?

I will have to double check but I believe the standard finish is called clear gloss or clear matte.

Shark Skin is the other option, which has a sandpaper like feel and adds strength without adding much weight. My demo blades all have this finish.

On 4/29/2016 at 9:16 PM, MrData said:

I hope this comes in lefty!  would love to know the name of this curve when it is available for order.