Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Ok, so in my other thread I was getting requests for possible future curves. Pro Kovalev and the classic Coffey are examples of requested curves not currently offered by Base Hockey. This thread is for customer feedback and I will definitely keep a tab on all of the requests, whether it be curve, lie option, or a modified existing curve. Here at Base Hockey, we listen to customers and welcome feedback on all levels. With that said, blade molds are not cheap and there are no guarantees that these will ever become retail. So have it, let's hear your requests. The more heavily a blade is requested, the more likely it could become a reality.

Edit: Interest in this topic has lead to BASE introducing a Shanahan/P10/Kane pro. I can be contacted at the following link for ordering information..

http://www.basehockey.ca/shafts-blades

Edited by Stephen7
  • Like 1

The old Warrior Smyth curve (W06) and the Gionta curve (W10) (the Sherwood PP01 Smith was almost an exact clone of the Gionta as well) would be two I'd be interested in.

• Like 2

I have spoken to the owner of our company, and this topic could very realistically become reality. I have been asked to perhaps request pictures and collect specific lies and details.

I specifically discussed the pro Kovalev blade. Currently it is left hand only and .620 as Kovalev never liked OPS or .520 tapered. Would you like to see this curve converted to .520 tapered or would the public prefer Kovalevs .620?

The sample Shanahan curves we have samples of are two different versions. Which version would the public like to see retail?

Photos and more specifics the better.

• Like 3

On May 4, 2016 at 2:05 AM, the iceman said:

Innovative Mogilny/Bauer P89/Easton Darby/Warrior Vanek

I was surprised with the Inno background Base didn't have an option with the 'Mogilny' curve.

2 hours ago, Stephen7 said:

pro Kovalev blade. Currently it is left hand only and .620 as Kovalev never liked OPS or .520 tapered. Would you like to see this curve converted to .520 tapered or would the public prefer Kovalevs .620?

The sample Shanahan curves we have samples of are two different versions. Which version would the public like to see retail?

Definitely the .520 version which could be used for tapered blades and OPS make ups

The old retail Easton Shanahan curve would be great. Ideally round of the square toe slightly 

• Like 1

BC28/Kreps but lower lie, around the Easton E4's 5.0 lie. Every X28 I've seen is closer to 5.5 in the heel "low lie" section. Otherwise that curve is perfect. Even lower could be good, around 4.5.

I'd get behind the (left hand mirror) Kovalchuk too if it's a low lie. 

• Like 2

I think that what I am looking for, is the discontinued Warrior Gionta/ Sherwood Smyth, but as I have never actually seen or used these curves, I will spell it out:

I. (I and II describe the same thing, from different starting points):

A toned down BC71 Malkin Pro. Specifically, if the curve were about half as big, then this would be ideal. 

Specs that I like about the BC71:

Lie: 5.25

Face: CLOSED (so hard to find closed faces; even though the closed face was the only offering when I was a kid, and when I last played hockey from like 1984-1994)

Rocker: it's there, but it is not big enough for the puck to slide under the toe on passes and wrist shots (Again, "the blade" that I grew up with, had such a small amount of rocker, that this was something that I never had to worry about, until I got back into hockey recently)

Length & Height: seems about average/ medium (just like what I grew up with)

The only thing that I would request to change, would be the curve. The BC71 hook is so deep- great for firing wrist shots; I can get huge velocity by spinning the puck along this thing. Stickhandling though, is a bit of an adventure as I need a more straight paddle to move the puck along the ice with. For a super skilled guy wth great hands and proper technique (like Malkin or a pro), I can see how the curve would may not pose a big problem for stick handling. However, I am definitely not a "super skilled guy wth great hands and proper technique," and thus, a toned down curve would suit me better.

II. If I were to compare the specs of what I am requesting, with a W88 Warrior Zetterburg (which I currently use, and which suits me pretty decently), then I would say identical in these regards:

Lie: Warrior says it is a 4 lie, but I think it is the same as a 5.25 in Base

Rocker: I love the W88 rocker- very subtle- big enough that I can rock the blade when needed to handle what comes my way, but not so big that anything slides under the toe.

Length & Height: seems about average/ medium (just like what I grew up with)

What I would modify:

Face: CLOSE IT !!

Curve: I would like a reasonable toe curve. Something big enough that I can start my wrist shot at the middle of the blade, and then spin it along a nice little toe curve. Not so big though, that is gets in the way of stick handling. The W88 curve, if moved down to the mid toe area, would like be a little bit big. Something about 1/2 the size of the W88, would be nice. I want the very end to bend a bit more intensely than the rest of the curve, as I theorize that this will let me be more accurate (just a theory, you can see I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff HAHA). I have seen this on some pro curves or mods, but I do not have a picture. I will be on the lookout for one, and post when I find it.

• Like 2

I cannot edit posts (as mentioned in another forum), so apologies for multiple posts. I just found this in an old MSH thread about curves:

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-07%20at%2011.02.

This is what I am talking about. A nice, gentle toe curve on an almost closed face (does not need to be 100% closed, then open/ closedness of the Malkin Pro BC71 was perfect- ever so slightly open. This Roberts Pro looks a little more open than the Malkin, but I would prefer this over the Malkin (if I had to choose one), simply because the hook is not so extreme.

Note, I am RH (this pic is of a LH), assuming that any curve that is made will become available in RH and LH.

• Like 2

On May 4, 2016 at 9:39 PM, althoma1 said:

The old Warrior Smyth curve (W06) and the Gionta curve (W10) (the Sherwood PP01 Smith was almost an exact clone of the Gionta as well) would be two I'd be interested in.

100% agree with this. Though the sherwood had a lower lie slightly. The other one I would add is Jagr's pro curve for right shots. 

• Like 1

I'll throw my hat in the ring as another vote for a few mentioned above:

Kovalchuk pro, Kovalev pro (or Perron pro if you need a righty / can't mirror the Kovy), P10, and Gionta would be awesome!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

This is what I am talking about. A nice, gentle toe curve on an almost closed face (does not need to be 100% closed, then open/ closedness of the Malkin Pro BC71 was perfect- ever so slightly open. This Roberts Pro looks a little more open than the Malkin, but I would prefer this over the Malkin (if I had to choose one), simply because the hook is not so extreme.

That look pretty close (maybe slightly more mild) to the old Warrior Gionta.

It seems to me that a lot of people are asking for the same thing, a toned down BC10, Warrior Gionta, True TC3 are all very close. Slight differences but they basically play similar and in my mind it's a very versatile curve which is easy to transition to from a P88 type curve if you want more of a toe.

Here's a pick of a few for you guys

IMG_0348_zps148l2nu0.jpg

Top to Bottom, Warrior Gionta, True TC3, Warrior Kreps, Base Russell (Hossa) and pro Kovalchuk (old style before he moved to a Kreps).

Note- The difference angles when trying to take a picture of so many curves together at one time. The TC3 and Gionta are very similar IRL 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, malcb33 said:

It seems to me that a lot of people are asking for the same thing, a toned down BC10, Warrior Gionta, True TC3 are all very close. Slight differences but they basically play similar and in my mind it's a very versatile curve which is easy to transition to from a P88 type curve if you want more of a toe.

Note- The difference angles when trying to take a picture of so many curves together at one time. The TC3 and Gionta are very similar IRL 

Old guys who post at MSH just want the curve that we grew up with, but with the curve pushed a bit down the paddle, toward the toe.

Is the Warrior Gionta as open as the P88? I always thought it was more closed, but you sound like you are finding it to be a bit more open. 

The Gionta is slightly open at the toe. It's been a while since I had a P88 but from memory it opens up maybe a hair more, but way further back towards the mid pocket. 

2 hours ago, malcb33 said:

That look pretty close (maybe slightly more mild) to the old Warrior Gionta.

It's funny how the curves that people say they want are always the worst selling ones from years past. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chadd said:

It's funny how the curves that people say they want are always the worst selling ones from years past. 

I think that makes sense - people are nostalgic about curves that they used to use but can't get anymore. That's the advantage of our production model: we don't have any pressure to ditch a certain curve or flex as soon as it decreases in popularity, since everything is factory direct. No SKUs to cut down on, no overstock to put on clearance.

• Like 2

That Gary Roberts Warrior posted above (if mirrored for a righty) looks good.  The curve actually looks a lot like the BC71 Malkin, which I also have.  The BC71 doesn't really work for me due to the rocker, or lack thereof, in the toe.  I found the BC71 to be almost exactly the same as the P88 in terms of outline and rocker.  The lie was slightly lower on the BC71, and the curve location is obviously different. 

I saw a True TC3 in person once, and if I recall it also didn't have much rocker at the toe, but I could be wrong. 

How did the rocker on the old Gionta  compare to say a P28, BC10, or P92?

I would love for someone to bring back the late 80's Titan Clark curve.  I can't even find a pic of it because I think it was discontinued before the birth of the modern internet!  I loved that curve.  If my memory is correct, probably the closest thing out now is a P88, but definitely not the same.  It was almost impossible to take a bad shot with that thing.

Take the E28 blade shape and rocker ... keep straight till 3/4's towards the toe,  then a nice closed toe curve no bigger than gionta with with a 4 lie.

This sounds perfect in my mind ;)

• Like 5

So pretty much a TC3 with a Kreps blade shape. That would one beautiful curve and that would get my vote too!

Not sure if Base would do something like this though as there is no sample. 

Why not offer all of the standard blade patterns but with the option to max out the height or a tall version?

Eg like the pro stock P29M, P28M etc :)

• Like 1