Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

So I recently made an impulse buy and picked up a Perron OPS with the same pattern as BASE is looking at producing. Stay tuned for a comprehensive review, but I can tell you all right now that this pattern is deceptively user-friendly. Hopefully we get a few more orders so we can start producing the moulds!

Any potential for a P46? I've been hunting for a PM9/E28 without realizing that's precisely the P46. CCM's not going to keep it around much longer, I know it.

6 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Any potential for a P46? I've been hunting for a PM9/E28 without realizing that's precisely the P46. CCM's not going to keep it around much longer, I know it.

Hey there's always potential to bring any curve to retail, as long as there's enough interest! It worked for the BC14 Shanahan, and it's looking pretty good for the Kovalev/Perron (although we do need a few more orders). If you can find enough like-minded P46 fans, I don't see why it couldn't happen.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 8:53 AM, flip12 said:

P46 does not match either the PM9 from bauer or the E28...What am i missing???  Th eP46 is really more like taking the P88 and tweaking the toe by opening it and giving it a lil more toe curve.  Its really the most pro-curve a retail curve has ever been.  Now some years back (2012) the landeskog (102-2) when it was first introduced was different than the later years (2013 and later is a 196-1).  So maybe your looking at an earlier landeskog curve.

5 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

P46 does not match either the PM9 from bauer or the E28...What am i missing???  Th eP46 is really more like taking the P88 and tweaking the toe by opening it and giving it a lil more toe curve.  Its really the most pro-curve a retail curve has ever been.  Now some years back (2012) the landeskog (102-2) when it was first introduced was different than the later years (2013 and later is a 196-1).  So maybe your looking at an earlier landeskog curve.

Good question. I'll explain how I've been plotting it in the blade space...To be clear, I mean the current P46, the ones labeled Landeskog or Bergeron depending on the model year of the sticks I've been seeing.

Shape: If you compare the blade faces of the PM9 and P46, they're the two closest you'll find on the retail market. P46 is just a touch longer and has a toe-shooter's launching slice removed in a gesture toward the E28 but not as drastic.

Lie: The P46 lie is just a hair higher than the PM9 on the toe-half of the blade, but the heel rocker and lie matches up almost exactly. Compared to a P88, there isn't the second lie zone on the P88 like there is on the PM9 or P46. PM9 is deceptively more rockered than it gets credit for. You can feel it when shooting with it versus the rockered heel then flat toe blades like the P88 or W10.

The lie and shape for me are crucial. If a blade's not low enough, I'll have to chop my sticks so short, they're extreme to shoot with, so I look very carefully at the lie profile of a blade. The shape on the other hand does a lot for how the puck feels on the stick for me. I think it has to do with counterbalancing the blade weight and it's easier for me to do with a consistent height blade. The P46 matches the PM9 in those two respects much more than it does any other blade. 

Curve: P46 has the heel curve of the PM9, but it curves again around the mid-toe. I've curved some PM9's at home and the ones that don't break get smoothed out, with a more continuous or gradual curve, just like the P46. The blade face ends up roughly as open as well--that is, a bit, but not so much as an E28. That would really depend on how much you want to emphasize the blade opening up, though, and I personally just like it a little more neutral. Curve wise, I see why you'd put it next to the P88. There are a lot of similarities there.

To me that sounds like what you're describing: a pro-made variant of a longer PM9. I've been wondering if it isn't originally Bergeron's pattern, actually. His pro pattern looks like a near neighbor to the P46, but I haven't been able to find many examples of game used or return sticks from him online. I know Bjugstad's supposed to be the P46's "designer," but hasn't he gotten credit for the E28 too, which also has an alternate origin story with either Kamil Kreps or Ovechkin by way of Kamil Kreps? I'm suspecting potentially another similar story.

However, I wouldn't necessarily agree that its potential for being a pro curve that has trickled into the retail market is the same as it being more "pro" than retail. There are tons of pros who use tamer curves than retail curves. There are also many that use exact retail curves. There just aren't so many non-pros tinkering with their composite blades as there were non-pros tinkering with wood blades back in the day.

Edited by flip12

Dohh...and years ago I passed ojn the oppurtunity for NOS PM9 blades at $9.99 at a rink proshop during a tournament...I knew to just grab a few at that price...But I didn't

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

Also, rereading my original post that you quoted @hawkeyfan, I should have been clearer on saying I was on the hunt for a hybrid of the PM9 and the E28 and that's exactly what the P46 is. (That's what I meant by "PM9/E28.")

I am attempting to work with a customer interested in getting his pro stock Ovechkin released as a BASE retail LH and RH. As with other patterns that we have released, I am gauging the support to see if there is enough interest to move forward. I have been told by the customer that this is NOT the crazy Ovechkin and that this pattern is more playable. I will attach pictures of the sample he would provide. If interested please chime in and also spread the word so we could make this happen and available to everyone.

DWaJ8Af.jpg

kvZfkVR.jpg

k6l0jd4.jpg

Edited by Stephen7
  • Like 1

Just now, Healthyscratch said:

If I live in the North East US, where can I go to visit a BASE location? There used to be 4 or so, now there is none. 

No, I'm not driving to Toronto. 

We went separate ways with some of the locations out there. At the moment there is not a good answer for you. Our product is still available to order, and I can help you with that if you have an idea of what you are looking for. As far as fittings, there is always a possibility of a mobile fitting, where we come to you. If the numbers make sense we could likely arrange something. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neo5370 said:

How is the kovalev pro different from a retail p28?  Seems like the same idea, mild heel wedge, straight mid-blade, open toe kink, rockered bottom. 

The Kovalev is quite different. The rocker is more extreme: while the P28 has a relatively flat rocker on the heel with a more rockered toe, the Kovalev has an aggressive rocker from heel to toe. Also, the Kovalev is a lot longer than the P28. It's also not as open or as deep as the P28, and while the P28's curve starts gradually from the middle and curves smoothly all the way into the toe, the Kovalev has two distinct 'kinks': one at the heel and one at the toe. I wouldn't say the P28 has a mild heel wedge - it's straight in the heel until about mid-blade.

Overall, the only real similarity they share is that they both have a pocket at the toe. I have played both, and I would say that the Kovalev feels more forgiving for stickhandling and heel shooting. I prefer the Kovalev, but the P28 is very playable for me as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrData said:

The Kovalev is quite different. The rocker is more extreme: while the P28 has a relatively flat rocker on the heel with a more rockered toe, the Kovalev has an aggressive rocker from heel to toe. Also, the Kovalev is a lot longer than the P28. It's also not as open or as deep as the P28, and while the P28's curve starts gradually from the middle and curves smoothly all the way into the toe, the Kovalev has two distinct 'kinks': one at the heel and one at the toe. I wouldn't say the P28 has a mild heel wedge - it's straight in the heel until about mid-blade.

Overall, the only real similarity they share is that they both have a pocket at the toe. I have played both, and I would say that the Kovalev feels more forgiving for stickhandling and heel shooting. I prefer the Kovalev, but the P28 is very playable for me as well.

Gotcha.  Was hard for me to tell just by the pics as I've never seen a Kovalev pro in person. 

On 11/8/2016 at 3:58 PM, flip12 said:

I'll get on it :)

The P46 stick I have is about 5 inches too big, but the curve is great and I wouldn't mind seeing a P46 coming to retail from Base considering CCM is scrapping it.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 7:25 PM, Stephen7 said:

I am attempting to work with a customer interested in getting his pro stock Ovechkin released as a BASE retail LH and RH. As with other patterns that we have released, I am gauging the support to see if there is enough interest to move forward. I have been told by the customer that this is NOT the crazy Ovechkin and that this pattern is more playable. I will attach pictures of the sample he would provide. If interested please chime in and also spread the word so we could make this happen and available to everyone.

I'd be interested, especially in LH.  I've been wanting to pick up something crazy like this to mess around with for awhile. 

34 minutes ago, the_game said:

I know everyone loves their huge Toe kink, Crazy Ovi, blah blah blah but what about making some OG Gretzky patterned blade or even a Crosby pro curve?

That'd be great. We need more low lie options!