Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

On 2017-06-30 at 11:22 AM, Thirdlineplug said:

any chance of getting a crosby prostock made up? I like the idea of a lower lie stick with no loft and a bit of toe. 

For reference I currently have the bc14 and bc27 in a nasty r. The bc14 is my fav curve at the moment but i find the lie to be a little high for my skating position. 

Of course if you offered the bc14 in a 4.5lie i would probably buy as many as i could carry

Definitely doable if there's enough interest and if we can find a sample blade, but I feel like the Crosby curve is going to be difficult for most people to use effectively. It is quite extreme in its mildness (lol).

1 hour ago, MrData said:

Definitely doable if there's enough interest and if we can find a sample blade, but I feel like the Crosby curve is going to be difficult for most people to use effectively. It is quite extreme in its mildness (lol).

How different is it from a PM9 lie 4? I'd be curious to see them side by side. I've seen a side-by-side with the Crosby and Crosby 2 and one looked like the curve of a PM9 and the other just looked a little straighter.

On 2017-07-18 at 8:44 AM, chippa13 said:

if you're thinking Crosby then the closest existing that I know of would be the Kariya Pro, and the Crosby is even flatter than that.

I was under the impression that the crosby pro was flat in lie (4 in bauer nomenclature) straight from heel with minimal loft till the toe in which there's a slight kink. 

There's usually a fair amount of Crosby sticks on eBay. His old wood blades look flatter (another) but his recent sticks look to have more rocker, both on the heel and the toe. They're not extremely rockered blades, by any means, but they don't look flat.

Curve on this one looks a helluva lot like a PM9.

On 2017-01-31 at 2:19 PM, Giraffe14 said:
On 2017-01-31 at 11:01 AM, malcb33 said:

I picked up 2 Nasty's and one blade in the stiff flex. Personally I found the the blade to have a dead type feel, not dampened like the One95. I didn't like it much at first but after using it more I'm starting to get used to it. I couldn't imagine how dead the regular blade flex feels.

@Sid @Giraffe14 How is the finish around where the blade inserts into the shaft? I just looked at mine today and noticed a decent sized chunk missing off one side. I've had a bunch of Base tapered blades before and know they normal taper out leaving a gap, but this is way more extreme and only on one side

The last 3 blades I ordered had a better fit into the shaft.  There is still a bit of a gap, but not as bad as some of the blades I recieved in the past.  I had to take a sander to one once.  That said, I have never had any performance issues or breaks at the connection point.  

i just picked up a base blade (BC14) to go in my true 6.0 shaft and noticed the gap. i take it that this is normal? how big of a gap should it be?

i kept trying to smash it in and hopefully didn't hurt the shaft. it started to bow out a little so i stopped.

that being said, i took some shots yesterday and it felt good.

Edited by ryanmonty

Despite mine having a large gap on one side (where the blade inserts into the shaft) it feels solid and works well. 

I do think this is something Base should clean up though. Sure it still works but it looks like crap and for a new-ish up and coming company it doesn't help their reputation when someone first receives thier long awaited custom stick or when friends are checking out Base for the first time. The little things do matter......

• Like 3

There is a small gap on with all of the Base blade and shaft combos I have used.  I have paired them with shafts from True, Warrior, Bauer, Reebok, and Base. I haven't had any issues with Base blades at the connection point of the shaft.  

The gap used to bug me so much that I taped around it with black tape so it didn't look so obvious, but I've just gotten used to it. It would be nice if they would align flush like the Bauer blade & shaft combos I have.       

I think the problem is that these shafts and blades are designed to be assembled into one-piece sticks with solid epoxy filling the gap. They just happen to offer the pieces separately for those who want to make two-piece sticks out of them.

On 8/26/2017 at 8:08 AM, ryanmonty said:

i just picked up a base blade (BC14) to go in my true 6.0 shaft and noticed the gap. i take it that this is normal? how big of a gap should it be?

i kept trying to smash it in and hopefully didn't hurt the shaft. it started to bow out a little so i stopped.

that being said, i took some shots yesterday and it felt good.

The gap is normal. It's the result of differences in how BASE shafts and other manufacturers' shafts are made. BASE blades and shafts are engineered for a tighter, stronger fit, so BASE blades don't sit the same way in other manufacturers' shafts. However, BASE blades are just as strong as other blades in non-BASE shafts. The difference is purely cosmetic. Check out this blog post for more info:

http://www.basehockey.ca/blog/the-two-piece-stick-an-underrated-solution-for-the-budget-conscious-player

On 8/26/2017 at 9:45 AM, malcb33 said:

Despite mine having a large gap on one side (where the blade inserts into the shaft) it feels solid and works well. 

I do think this is something Base should clean up though. Sure it still works but it looks like crap and for a new-ish up and coming company it doesn't help their reputation when someone first receives thier long awaited custom stick or when friends are checking out Base for the first time. The little things do matter......

Our blades are designed to fit with our shafts, so we can't guarantee a perfect look with other shafts. There should be no performance or durability problems though. Here's a comparison of a BASE blade in a BASE shaft (right), versus a BASE blade in another manufacturer's shaft (left):

21148449_10159144229365507_523003503_n.j

I haven't had any performance issues with other manufacturers' shafts.

• Like 1

This is interesting to learn about and the above pic helps show the concern some have.  I can tell the shaft on the right was heated and slapped together with the installer then nibbling around the hosel to remove the excess glue.

Here's a possible solution to this.  Heck this may be a reaso to buy a Base blade and check into it myself...

On a standard 2 peice when I assemble... I wrap both the shaft and the blade with masking tape.  Then after heating up the glue and assembling.  I take a scrap of wood (a 1x2 x 12) and clear off the excess glue from the shaft area.  I then wait a minute or two and then peel off the tape.

This allows for a very clean installation.  BUT I think that the void COULD get filled with the glue and it would be different, but better.  I have taped my connections myself, but have done that as a safety measure of keeping the blade on, if the glue bond gets broken.  It used to when I first started with 2 pc sticks...then I learned to use more glue (which you then have to wipe off) and learned my process.

The only thing that would make this even better is if you could find a black glue stick.

13 hours ago, MrData said:

The gap is normal. It's the result of differences in how BASE shafts and other manufacturers' shafts are made.

I don't remember ever seeing on the website or CS that Base blades are specifically designed for Base shafts before.

Having used around 9 or 10 Base tapered blades in various shafts I am very use to the "normal" Base gap, but like I said my Kovalev blade has a much larger gap on one side (see below).

The blade was like this from the day I got it. It's obviously used now but it hasn't chipped away or anything, this is how it looked when I put it in new. Personally I think this is a quality control issue, but I'm not going to cause a fuss as I don't want to through the hassle of sending it back etc.

ErElh5.jpg

I really like Base as a company and think it has a solid place in the market, however I really do think there is a few small things holding it back. Personally I'm way more focused on the results of a product over the way it looks (Base and VH user) but I do feel Base is reputation is hurting due to lack of polish and marketing. I understand completely that none of that is your fault @MrData.

19 hours ago, malcb33 said:

I don't remember ever seeing on the website or CS that Base blades are specifically designed for Base shafts before.

Having used around 9 or 10 Base tapered blades in various shafts I am very use to the "normal" Base gap, but like I said my Kovalev blade has a much larger gap on one side (see below).

The blade was like this from the day I got it. It's obviously used now but it hasn't chipped away or anything, this is how it looked when I put it in new. Personally I think this is a quality control issue, but I'm not going to cause a fuss as I don't want to through the hassle of sending it back etc.

ErElh5.jpg

I really like Base as a company and think it has a solid place in the market, however I really do think there is a few small things holding it back. Personally I'm way more focused on the results of a product over the way it looks (Base and VH user) but I do feel Base is reputation is hurting due to lack of polish and marketing. I understand completely that none of that is your fault @MrData.

We do appreciate the feedback, and Ron is always striving to tighten up QC. Let me know if you have any performance/structural issues with your Kovalev blades and I'll pass it up the chain.

On 8/28/2017 at 3:48 PM, malcb33 said:

I think you really nailed it here, I have always thought my BASE sticks feel like a proto type / unfinished product. They just lack the fit and finish + graphics package of other retail offerings.

I absolutely will keep using them because I am hooked on the MC71 Malkin curve though.

11 hours ago, itslunchtime said:

I think you really nailed it here, I have always thought my BASE sticks feel like a proto type / unfinished product. They just lack the fit and finish + graphics package of other retail offerings.

I absolutely will keep using them because I am hooked on the MC71 Malkin curve though.

What curves were you using / had you tried before that one?

16 hours ago, flip12 said:

What curves were you using / had you tried before that one?

I started out using mostly p88's but wanted more toe, switched to a e28 but that has more rocker than I would prefer and it is rather open - BC71 seems to blend what I like about both of the other curves

Maybe I should give the new CCM p30 a go next?

after using my 2 pc a bit more the blade feels kind of soft when shooting. when i really lean on it, the blade seems to open up and i lose my power on the shot.

my blade is the XS. i'm used to using the True A series 1 pc.

so a few questions.

-is this because it's a 2 pc? 

-or are base blades softer than normal?

-or unlike a fine wine, my hockey skills do not get better with age?

thanks!

On 9/9/2017 at 8:22 AM, ryanmonty said:

after using my 2 pc a bit more the blade feels kind of soft when shooting. when i really lean on it, the blade seems to open up and i lose my power on the shot.

so a few questions.

thanks!

That shouldn't happen with the XS - our blades are quite stiff unless you get a Stiff or Regular. It's possible the blade is cracked/soft (try to flex it with your hands and see if it makes any noise or has any give). It being a two piece has no bearing on blade stiffness, but it does allow you to replace the blade alone if that's the problem with the stick. Finally, if the specs on your 2-piece are different than those on your one-piece, it might be a technique or familiarity issue. Maybe different lie, different curve, different stick length, flex, etc.

• Like 1

On 2017-09-09 at 9:52 AM, ryanmonty said:

so a few questions.

thanks!

I went from using the True A-series to using the Nasty OPS and True shaft with a Base tapered blade and found the same issues as you did. 

The Base stick or combo definitely opens up more when shooting which does effect shot velocity but I found hurt my shot accuracy more so. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MrData said:

That shouldn't happen with the XS - our blades are quite stiff unless you get a Stiff or Regular. It's possible the blade is cracked/soft (try to flex it with your hands and see if it makes any noise or has any give). It being a two piece has no bearing on blade stiffness, but it does allow you to replace the blade alone if that's the problem with the stick. Finally, if the specs on your 2-piece are different than those on your one-piece, it might be a technique or familiarity issue. Maybe different lie, different curve, different stick length, flex, etc.

21 hours ago, malcb33 said:

I went from using the True A-series to using the Nasty OPS and True shaft with a Base tapered blade and found the same issues as you did. 

The Base stick or combo definitely opens up more when shooting which does effect shot velocity but I found hurt my shot accuracy more so. 

thanks guys!