Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akravetz

Thoughts on the Sher-Wood T85 Gen II stick

It seems too good to be true. My son, 10, (plays D, rightie, 4'3, 64 pounds, PeeWee minor) likes this stick and it's only $39. Tried it out (without a puck) at a local TH and seemed to like how it felt. Better, the curve (Stasney) is named after his favorite player (other than Subban). Anyway, other dads on the team, when I mentioned I was going to get the sticks for him, said no no, it's a bad stick, he needs something else. He is currently using a Tacks 5052 (nugent-hopkins) which he just broke at a tourney (on the blade, can't fix). Anyway, I say he's too little and not strong enough to really use the technology that is built into these sticks. I say if he continues to develop his form, he'll be fine and I can get two sticks for the price of one. 

Others are telling me that I have to buy higher end sticks. He's never had a new stick, always using old, used ones or hand-me-downs from dad or others (cut down of course). 

I realize that in an ideal world, spending more to get a higher-end stick is super. But if you aren't loaded, what's wrong with a $39 stick. We get two and he has a spare. Thoughts?

It's a somewhat heavier stick.  The materials seem decent though. If he likes it, I say go for it.  At 10 years old, he'll be growing quickly so you'll probably have to buy a new stick within a year anyway. At $39, if it doesn't work out you didn't lose much.  That said, the 5052 is a better stick.

I wouldnt worry about what the other dads are saying. At the end of the day the money is coming from your pocket, and you dictate what is and is not purchased.

For $39 a stick, why not? I was going to suggest keeping one uncut, so that when he does need a longer stick he has one available. That said, its always good to have a backup on the bench if needed. You can always extend it with wooden end plugs if necessary.

Edit*

Would you be able to salvage the 5052 by cutting off the broken blade and inserting a replacement blade? You could use that as a backup and keep the second T85 at full length. Or even have it as a practice stick for at home/driveway etc.

Those dads are the guys who post on here talking about how to cut 15 grams off of their skates, or purchase helmets because they look good and show off their sick flow.

Dont go to those guys for advice on anything. Well, maybe how to restructure credit card debt, but nothing hockey related. 

First off, I am of the opinion that kids at the age of 10 should use wood sticks. They can't use the technology in most cases. That said, I appreciate all the thoughts. we are going to get those two sticks and yes, I had planned on leaving them uncut. in fact, we aren't going to cut them down until august as he's off the ice (we are the rogues here. we go outside in the summer and play baseball.. The horror!) As for the weight, I think it's good. It'll make a bit stronger and it's not that much weight to matter really. thanks to all.

Andy in Peoria.

Just saw this and I decided to put my input in.  At the price I would buy it, and save the money from that for a top of the line stick once he hits 12-13.  When kids are that age all they should be able to do is flex the stick the right way, spending money on a top of the line stick at that age is a huge waste since he will be growing rapidly at therms of the day it's your money not theirs