Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimizk

Show your spine protector idea

I'm thinking to make some additional protection for back bone. Often we can see such this spine protector in a video of pro's dressing room.

So I want to see examples for it. It doesn't matter if it is not your setting. Your friend, pro's... please show examples of additional spine protector.

http://imgur.com/hm4Ux3D

i have seen that Tackla one before, multiple times, and looked for it. Not available retail as far as I can tell, but if someone can help me find one I'd love to give it a try.

I have been meaning to go through my old equipment and cannibalize it for additional spine, and also some lower thigh, protection. I'll show it off when it's done.

Eagle offers "extended pads" like that Tackla one: http://eaglehockey.com/accessories/extended-pads/

I was planning on cannibalizing some padding from my old Easton UltraLite shoulders when I got new Warrior HD1's this year, but the Warriors were already 5-6" longer so I didn't need to add anything at all actually.

51 minutes ago, DRR said:

I have been meaning to go through my old equipment and cannibalize it for additional spine, and also some lower thigh, protection. I'll show it off when it's done.

They also have extended bicep pads that could potentially work for the top of the shin-thigh area pad: http://eaglehockey.com/accessories/extended-bicep-pads/

My shins have extended hd-foam that covers the bottom 1/4 of my thighs. It's long enough that it never gets hung up under the bottom of my pants like shorter thigh protection seems to do on a lot of people. The longer length seems to help them sit perfectly under my socks actually.

For both of those Eagle pieces, I can't find any online retailers that offer them. Maybe an LHS could order it for you if they have an account with Eagle?

I have these from my old CCM Supra shoulder pads from the early 90's.  This is an add on piece that had velcro flaps that you wrapped around the shoulder pads original straps.  Not sure how useful these are these days, since these were for the lower spine area, which effectively is more or less protected by the backpad on most hockey pants.

iLO4xG2.jpg

While I no longer use this setup, I took a pair of pants I found in a lost and found bin, gutted the spine protection, flipped it upside down, and added it to the shoulder pads.

Worked well when I used the Supreme TO girdle. Since switching to the MX3 girdle, it just got in the way.

qznvqrL.jpg

4H0dWFi.jpg

Currently in the process of making another set of franken pads with a slightly larger/longer chest piece to eliminate gaps.

6 hours ago, A2rhino said:

How did you apply the lower back protection to the shoulder pads?

If you were asking me... Velcro. I used some industrial Velcro with adhesive & some Gorilla glue. I adhered (comes with a sticky backside) Velcro to the bottom of the shoulder pads, then I Gorilla glued some Velcro to the top of the spine protector.  I used glue for the spine protector because the Velcro didn't adhere well enough to hold because of the uneven surface.  The reason I used Velcro instead of stitching was so I could easily remove it if I decided I didn't like it mid-game.