Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

Low end stick help.

Yeah, finding what you want in pro stock can be problematic, getting them consistently can be another issue. However, it's still pretty good bang for the buck, especially for those on a budget.

All of those same issue apply to sticks on close out. Which is why I said it's hard to be choosie when you're on a budget. 

FWIW, if I were in the OP's position, I'd go with a shaft/blade combo or go back to wood. It's easier to experiment with curves and lies.

9 hours ago, Zac911 said:

If you can find a pattern and flex that work for you.... And then if you can get your hands on them consistently.  OR you could just find a company that makes their Retail Sticks the same way as their Pro Sticks.

Well, like I said earlier: I don't think I would be able to find sticks in the 55 - 60 - 65 flex range, and then finding them consistently, like you said, all within my price range. And I don't know any companies that make their retail and pro stock gear the same way.

Side: ABHS: How is it? Their Juniors are Intermediate sized for 70 bucks. I've heard complaints about durability and such, but are they good for $70?

17 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Well, like I said earlier: I don't think I would be able to find sticks in the 55 - 60 - 65 flex range, and then finding them consistently, like you said, all within my price range. And I don't know any companies that make their retail and pro stock gear the same way.

Side: ABHS: How is it? Their Juniors are Intermediate sized for 70 bucks. I've heard complaints about durability and such, but are they good for $70?

You are not likely to find much in the way of a Pro Stock Stick in the 55-65 flex range.  

Like I mentioned earlier even with all the trial and error of finding something you like in Pro Stock you will likely spend alot of money-  I refer to this as The High Cost of Saving Money.  I have seen guys buy dozens of different Pro Sticks... Once they finally find one they really like it's hard to get another one.  

Is there a reason you are married to $70 as your ceiling?  

There are alot of really good sticks out there for $100 that you can consistently get your hands on.  Bauer N7000 comes to mind.

I like the idea that with a shaft and blade combo in terms of finding a pattern you like;  however,  with a massive knot of materials at the connection point you lose alot of the performance of a 1-piece stick.  It's a big reason Bauer has worked very hard to thin the wall thickness of their fused sticks ( excess materials create a spike in the flex profile ).

TRUE uses AXENIC in every stick they make-  $299 all the way down to $69.99,  so you get true one-piece performance at every price point.  

5 hours ago, Zac911 said:

You are not likely to find much in the way of a Pro Stock Stick in the 55-65 flex range.  

Like I mentioned earlier even with all the trial and error of finding something you like in Pro Stock you will likely spend alot of money-  I refer to this as The High Cost of Saving Money.  I have seen guys buy dozens of different Pro Sticks... Once they finally find one they really like it's hard to get another one.  

Is there a reason you are married to $70 as your ceiling?  

There are alot of really good sticks out there for $100 that you can consistently get your hands on.  Bauer N7000 comes to mind.

I like the idea that with a shaft and blade combo in terms of finding a pattern you like;  however,  with a massive knot of materials at the connection point you lose alot of the performance of a 1-piece stick.  It's a big reason Bauer has worked very hard to thin the wall thickness of their fused sticks ( excess materials create a spike in the flex profile ).

TRUE uses AXENIC in every stick they make-  $299 all the way down to $69.99,  so you get true one-piece performance at every price point.  

-Yes, I am married to $70, more likely less, because it's all I can afford and care to spend for a stick for what will most likely only need to carry me through summer camps and maybe the first month or two of fall Bantam / JV hockey.

-I like most companies' $100 dollar price point offerings, regardless of the line (X700, N7000, S170, HD / QR4, C7.0, Ribcor 46k / Tacks 4052 / 4092, etc.) However, that obviously contradicts my budget, so no dice.

-I looked, and the closest thing to a 55 - 65 flex pro stock is Brendan Gallagher's QR1, with some wack curve that I can't even tell what it is.

-I'm not against a two piece, the only problem is Intermediate shafts / blades don't exist and I don't want a 3 piece (shaft / plug / blade), or a cut down Senior to compound the problem of having below average arm strength.

-My teammate has an HD5 that I've gotten to use for a few games, and the one piece construction is certainly nice. Having a two - piece isn't the end of the world. Was it the Ultra Tacks that was a fused two piece?

2 years ago while I was with Bauer we had an on ice session with nearly every mfg and nearly all price points.  We shot pretty much every mfg stick and I was shocked at just how bad some companies $60-$70 stick was.  Many of the sticks were like wet noodles with ZERO recoil.  You would try to load it up and it was so hard to hit the net because,  there was nearly zero recoil.

Many reps I know are relatively good at giving a sales presentation based off of a powerpoint presentation,  but have no idea how many of those details really come into play as a hockey player.  I always made a point to get much more info.  I always made a point to dig deeper.  I have a very strong understanding of the construction on many of these sticks.  

Many $60-$70 sticks are fairly poor construction.  I would strongly recommend spending a little bit more... My grandfather would always tell me--  Buy what you need / want the first time and you will save money.  While he is long gone and I have aged... Those words ring more true every day.

Based off of my experience and what I have seen-  Many MFG's really rely on their brand name to carry the lower price points and really don't do a very good job.  That said many don't need a $300 hockey stick.  There is a point of diminishing returns as well.  I would be happy to share more via DM if you like.

True A4.5. No question. Super Light, Well-Balanced, Lively puck feel. Its a steal for $65-$70

With the 30-35% off coupons  that HM runs, it would be right in your range. 

17 minutes ago, kovalchuk71 said:

True A4.5. No question. Super Light, Well-Balanced, Lively puck feel. Its a steal for $65-$70

Agree completely. 

10 hours ago, kovalchuk71 said:

Yep, without question. Hell of a stick even at full price.

Any opinions/experience with the Easton Stealth CXST and C7.0? With the current sale at HM both can be gotten for around/below the OPs target price, heck I am even tempted to grab a C7.0 for less than $50 if it's a decent stick.

So. I would like to start by thanking everyone for your help and opinions. However, I was  short on time, and had to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend sales, and the fact I would need the stick by Saturday at the very latest, I pulled the trigger on a 26K / 60 flex / P46. I went to plenty of LHS over the long weekend, and couldn't find a stick that was perfect. 65 flex was too stiff, the E28 wasn't for me, the Vapor X80 only had the PM9, etc. Until I felt the Ribcor and saw the P46, there wasn't one that was right for me. So the Ribcor should be here this weekend, about $40 tax and shipping included. I don't regret buying it, and I don't think I will. 

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

So. I would like to start by thanking everyone for your help and opinions. However, I was  short on time, and had to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend sales, and the fact I would need the stick by Saturday at the very latest, I pulled the trigger on a 26K / 60 flex / P46. I went to plenty of LHS over the long weekend, and couldn't find a stick that was perfect. 65 flex was too stiff, the E28 wasn't for me, the Vapor X80 only had the PM9, etc. Until I felt the Ribcor and saw the P46, there wasn't one that was right for me. So the Ribcor should be here this weekend, about $40 tax and shipping included. I don't regret buying it, and I don't think I will. 

Thanks again.

Hope it all works out for you.  With all the product that has been forced into the market place over the last few years there are some great deals out there for sure.  Good luck!

Howdy,

7 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Let us know how it works out for you!

Ditto.  This was a good thread.  Hopefully as people run into other good 'reasonably priced' sticks, it'll continue to be used.  There's no way I'm the only guy who refuses to pay more than $100 for a stick.  :-)

Mark

Hello, 

Package arrived at around 7PM today, opened it before I ate dinner. Stick came perfect, no dings or blemishes. 

First impression: The curve is like a deeper Kane. The stick is much lighter than I was told online (570g). The end cap has a hole in it. (Why?)

All taped up and ready to go for tomorrow's game.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Computer is being a pain, so no pics.