Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluetick

Old school sticks

Most of my equipment is old because I'm well, old.   If things wear out, I replace them with new stuff. No problem. But it's getting harder to find the one piece of equipment I'm especially fussy about; the stick.  I play with a Fontaine Carbon shaft with a Montreal 9 blade.  But I also like the Sherwood 5030 featherlite sticks. You can still find them in plenty of patterns, which is what I'll do if the Fontaine ever breaks.  Any other old schools stickhandlers out there with similar stick preferences?

I hung on to Montreal blades for a long time because I loved the European pattern.

I also loved those Fontaine shafts and the Louisville ones that looked and felt pretty similar back in the day. I'm pretty sure that I used your favorite setup years ago. 

I didn't have a problem finding shafts that I like. I'm still using mostly 2-piece setups. My favorite shafts are TPS shafts that are around 10 years old...maybe more.

I'd love to find a new old stock Vic 4050 like I used to love back in the mid 90's.  I also used and loved Montreal blades.  With today's sticks it has taken a bigger investment to find what I like but I've really enjoyed the benefits of the new technology.

I still use Easton shafts (ultralite, z-bubble, t-flex) with composite blades. I recently found some t-flex blades and decided to give woodies another go. The feel was just dead. I find it amusing that the best compliment people give to new sticks is, "the blade feels like wood!" but actual wood is ruined for me now after using composite blades for so long. 

On 5/27/2016 at 3:41 PM, bluetick said:

Most of my equipment is old because I'm well, old.   If things wear out, I replace them with new stuff. No problem. But it's getting harder to find the one piece of equipment I'm especially fussy about; the stick.  I play with a Fontaine Carbon shaft with a Montreal 9 blade.  But I also like the Sherwood 5030 featherlite sticks. You can still find them in plenty of patterns, which is what I'll do if the Fontaine ever breaks.  Any other old schools stickhandlers out there with similar stick preferences?

Have you tried Frontier blades? They look like Montreal's ABS core with wood laminate outside...not quite as good of a finish, but similar construction.