Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
A2rhino

Tydan blades

3 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

I bought a pair of Tydan steel from JR as part of the ProSharp project. They are noticeably better than Bauer factory steel in every way. I would estimate the Tydan blades hold an edge about 4x as long compared to the Bauer. If you're still using Bauer factory steel, I would consider the alternative for economics alone. The performance benefits are a bonus. The only small change I'd make in the Tydan would be to put a logo on at least one of the blades to make it easy to identify left/right blade if you switch out a lot. 

Isn't the blade length etched on the "tangs" on opposite sides of the two blades?

10 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Isn't the blade length etched on the "tangs" on opposite sides of the two blades?

Why would you need to know the difference between right and left steel? They should be 100% the same. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Why would you need to know the difference between right and left steel? They should be 100% the same. 

I never said I needed to know the difference between right and left steel.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Nicholas G said:

No. Between sharpenings, your edges wear differently. For most, inside edge will wear quicker. If you invert the steel, that puts the duller edge on the outside edge.  As I said, small negative, but can easily be rectified by stamping a logo on. My Tydans have size stamp in same spot on both blades, so you can't tell right/left.

5 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

No. Between sharpenings, your edges wear differently. For most, inside edge will wear quicker. If you invert the steel, that puts the duller edge on the outside edge.  As I said, small negative, but can easily be rectified by stamping a logo on. My Tydans have size stamp in same spot on both blades, so you can't tell right/left.

Then get a sharpie and color the top of one of the blades, let's say the right one, so you'll know that the colored one always goes on the right.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

Then get a sharpie and color the top of one of the blades, let's say the right one, so you'll know that the colored one always goes on the right.

Please reread my post. Focus on the word "small".

• Facepalm 2

Been using Step runners for years and find them Great,Just wanted to ask anyone that has tryed Tydan blades and also Step blades,are the Tydan blades height the same as Step..and if not can you ask Tydan for extra 2mm on the runners....Also heard that Tydan steel is stronger steel....

12 minutes ago, George said:

Been using Step runners for years and find them Great,Just wanted to ask anyone that has tryed Tydan blades and also Step blades,are the Tydan blades height the same as Step..and if not can you ask Tydan for extra 2mm on the runners....Also heard that Tydan steel is stronger steel....

Currently using Tydan and STEP ST steel. Yes, the Tydan steel is tall like LS and STEP. I can't say if they are the same height or not. The STEP had been sharpened a bunch when I got the Tydan. Strength wise, I find it behaves much like the STEP. 

On the down side. My Tydan moves front to back fairly easily in my holders, much more so than the STEP. 

I picked up a pair of the New Ccm Xs holders,and I am looking into the Tydan runners....thats my only issue that I wanted to know for the height on the runners to be the same height as Step....As for the hardness of the Steel and edge life I would think they last the same..

I need runners and Step does not have the size yet in stock but Tydan has them,but I have never used Tydan before .Does anyone one know if Tydan will be as good or even better than Step...or just wait for Step to get the runner size back in stock...

2 minutes ago, George said:

I need runners and Step does not have the size yet in stock but Tydan has them,but I have never used Tydan before .Does anyone one know if Tydan will be as good or even better than Step...or just wait for Step to get the runner size back in stock...

Tydan is great. There is no difference between Tydan and STEP steel. 

10 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

There is no difference between Tydan and STEP steel. 

lol, the marketing depts of both companies are sure to love this comment....

• Like 1

I just pulled the trigger on 2 pairs of Tydan Xs runners,my first time to try Tydan,been with Step for 4 years but since Step does not have my size in stock will try Tydan...Hope they are good as Step...will find out soon

8 hours ago, George said:

I just pulled the trigger on 2 pairs of Tydan Xs runners,my first time to try Tydan,been with Step for 4 years but since Step does not have my size in stock will try Tydan...Hope they are good as Step...will find out soon

How much were they?

Tydan makes a good product, definitely on par with Step.

My only gripe with Tydan is they're a bit pricey. Looks like that's not a problem here though.

• Like 1

I agree,but only on the DLC blades blacksteel...if you go with the stainless steel or the Mirrior finish blades prices are reasonable..Even with Step I had the Black steel runners and also Step vsteel(Mirrior)runners the only difference I found was the Blacksteel runners did not show nicks and scratches like the Mirrior runners do,other than that edge life was the same every 3 or 4 games or practices I would re sharpen them..

Funny this thread popped back up.  On a whim, bought a 2nd set of steel for my daughter this morning.  Some DLC.  

Anyone have input as to how different it is radius wise from standard LS5?