Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Warrior QRL - monty22

First off I'd like to thank  JR/MSH and Warrior for the opportunity to do this long term review.

I play mid level adult league ice hockey 1-2 times a week and coach as well. This is summer, so I'm down to once a week. but it's a good skate. 

My current sticks are a CCM Speedburner P29 in and an 11K , both in 85 flex.  I feel that the current "gold standard" for blade feel is the True XCore, and I typically use 85 flex (75 in CCM)  so that's where i'm coming from preference wise.  

Review Stick:  2016 Warrior Covert QRL grip 85 flex W03 curve LH 

a03b42a5-ca3c-48db-9694-23231fe07ec5_zps

Blade 

Warrior20QRL20002_zpscegoedad.jpg

Initial impression: Graphics package looks better in person than most of the pics I've seen.  The Teal /orange /white  graphics look good on the black background. This stick in Made in Mexico. My scale is on the fritz,  but it feels at least few grams lighter than the Speedburner. Balance seems good just handling it off ice.  The grip isn't overly sticky, and there are small raised ridges on the upper 3/4 of the shaft.

I'll be skating Friday and will be able to provide my on ice impressions then.  

a>   a>a>

Used the QRL last night for the first time.  Balance is very good. The stick weighs  approx 406 grams, and handles well on ice. Puck feel is very good, and when receiving  hard passes the puck doesn't rebound off the blade like with the CCM Speedburner.  Shooting wristers in warm ups and during the skate I found the stick to produce excellent accuracy and velocity.  I was only able to take a couple slap shots due to time constraints, and will need to find the "sweet spot" for lower had placement. 

Warrior QRL 008.JPG

Was able to get this stick out for a couple of pick ups , and my wife rented an hour at a local 1/2 rink for fathers day.  Spent most of that time putting the QRL through it's paces.  So far I really like the feel of the stick. The weight and balance are excellent. Shooting is where the QRL shines, with very good kick and quick release. Took about a dozen or so slappers and a ton of wrist shots. Durability thus far has been good, no chips or cracks.  Keep in mind that"s just pick up wear, not really game type use and abuse.   

Used this stick another half dozen times since my last update. It's really a great shooting stick. Puck feel is very good as well. It's not Xcore9 good , but it's definitely a  strong contender.   Other than the expected cosmetic scuffs and paint transfer the stick has held up quit well.  

Just a quick update, Stick is holding up well. No damage other than cosmetic scuffs and abrasions.  Still  kicks like new.  Alternated last game between this and the True XCore9.  The QRL blade is definitely stiffer, I think shots come off it a bit harder than the True (could also be due to lower kick point).  Puck feel is better with the True, but the Warrior QRL is no slouch in this department.  

It's been about two months since my last update. I've been  been on the ice 3-4 times a week in that time playing and coaching.This stick is still holding up great. Still kicks like new. Minimal cosmtic damage. Warrior hit a homerun with this stick. 

My QRL is still chugging along. It has a few chips and other cosmetic damage but nothing significant or structural.  I skated last night at a mini rink with a buddy and spent an hour just shooting. One timers, snap shots and wristers, I don't feel like the shaft is anywhere close to whipping out. Blade is still stiff and lively. It has been my go to stick since I received it.  Once this one goes I won't hesitate to replace it with another identical stick.