Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farnarkler

What are the most protective shin guards for dropping knees on the ice

I'm 46 so the knees have a lot of mileage. I'd like your opinions on what you think are the most protective and comfortable shin guards currently on the market for those occasions when you've dropped on your knees. I've got MX3s, however, the knee donut just doesn't feel right and I'm looking at the Bauer 1X and 1N and the CCM ultra tacks.

Any of those will do the job, it's just a matter of trying them on and finding the one that best locks your knee in place, fits the shape of your leg and you are comfortable with the strapping system. 

Yeah, leg and knee-shape play into it most. Assuming everyone uses tape to fix their shins, the straps don't matter that much.

E.g. for me the Easton EQ PRO work best, while the Reebok 20k (twists) and the Bauer Nexus 1000 (slides) don't work at all when it comes to landing on the knees - even though all are similar overall shapes. So YMMV. 

Echo what Vet88 said.  Shins like the ultra tacks/20k, 8k pro/7k pro, dynasty ax1 tend to have solid knee padding/protection.