Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

CCM Super Tacks Skate Initial Thoughts

I just got the new super tacks as well and was thinking about getting tuuks put on mine as well. the_game, were you able to get 272 on your 7.5 supertacks with not much overhang or issues with the structure in drilling new holes? I ask because I am trying to get 263 tuuks mounted onto my 6.5 that came with 255 speedblades. 

9 hours ago, the_game said:

Yup 272 on 7.5, no problems. New holes needed of course but that's it. The 272 fon't hang they fit perfectly.

I noticed you didn't shim the heel. I thought the CCM holder was 1mm taller than the Edge holder. I assume that wasn't an issue during the remount?

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

I noticed you didn't shim the heel. I thought the CCM holder was 1mm taller than the Edge holder. I assume that wasn't an issue during the remount?

I thought about shimming the heel but with added height on the Lightspeed plus the LS3 I decided against it. Wanted to keep the set up as close to what I had on my APX as possible, so this was/is perfect.

Mine did not require new holes. Used exactly the size it required.  Remember that SB 4.0 has same rivet pattern as Tuuk.  As long as you match the holder size you should be good.

Had to expand on one of the holes. 

IMG_1567.JPG

• Like 3

Does anyone know how the Super Tacks fit in relation to the Ultra Tacks?  I went to a LHS and they didn't have the Super Tacks in the size I wanted to try, so I tried the Ultra Tacks in a 6.5D and they fit well.  However, considering that the Super Tacks are a significant difference in construction, wondering if the two models fit differently.  FWIW, I tried a Super Tacks in 6D and it was too small in length as my big toe was pushing against the toe box.  Also, wasn't interested in the Ultra Tacks.

when getting my supertacks I tried on the Ultratacks in both the 6 and 6.5. The 6 felt a little tight especially in terms of width where the toebox is attached to the rest of the boot. Since I was told that in the Supertacks that I would have to go up a 1/2 size, I got the 6.5 Supertacks ordered for me and they fit perfect. For reference I was in a 6.5 D APX2 with the big toe area of the toebox punched out a little on my left skate, while I fit fine in a 6.5 D Supreme 1S without having the toe box altered. The Supertacks for me were perfect and even better after baking, no pressure points and would say that for me atleast the heel lock has been the best I've ever had.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bearcathockey14 said:

when getting my supertacks I tried on the Ultratacks in both the 6 and 6.5. The 6 felt a little tight especially in terms of width where the toebox is attached to the rest of the boot. Since I was told that in the Supertacks that I would have to go up a 1/2 size, I got the 6.5 Supertacks ordered for me and they fit perfect. For reference I was in a 6.5 D APX2 with the big toe area of the toebox punched out a little on my left skate, while I fit fine in a 6.5 D Supreme 1S without having the toe box altered. The Supertacks for me were perfect and even better after baking, no pressure points and would say that for me atleast the heel lock has been the best I've ever had.

Thanks for the response.

You referenced how the Ultra Tacks in 6D felt.  How did the Ultra Tacks in 6.5D feel for you?  Would you say that they are same/similar fits between models (i.e. if I fit in a 6.5D Ultra Tacks (which I did) that the 6.5D Super Tacks would be the correct fit in that model boot?)  

I also tried on a 6.5D Supreme 1S and that fit too, but I preferred the heel lock on the Super Tacks (even in the crammed 6D)

24 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Thanks for the response.

You referenced how the Ultra Tacks in 6D felt.  How did the Ultra Tacks in 6.5D feel for you?  Would you say that they are same/similar fits between models (i.e. if I fit in a 6.5D Ultra Tacks (which I did) that the 6.5D Super Tacks would be the correct fit in that model boot?)  

I also tried on a 6.5D Supreme 1S and that fit too, but I preferred the heel lock on the Super Tacks (even in the crammed 6D)

the 6.5 in the UltraTacks actually felt a little bit long for my liking which is why I went with the 6.5 supertacks. If I had liked the 6.5 Ultratacks I would have ordered the 7 Supertacks. May just be a mental thing for me now that I love the feel of  my baked Supertacks, but I recall the 6.5 Ultratacks feeling fine width wise but a bit longer than how my unbaked 6.5 supertacks felt. If what you are saying is that you liked the general length feel of the 6.5 Ultras, I would order the 7 Super.  I loved how the 6.5 1S skates felt but the Supertacks had a better heel lock for me out of the box even before baking, and this ultimately led to me reaffirming that the 6.5 Supertacks would be perfect for me. Hope this helps and if others can add to their experience it would be great.

10 hours ago, bearcathockey14 said:

the 6.5 in the UltraTacks actually felt a little bit long for my liking which is why I went with the 6.5 supertacks. If I had liked the 6.5 Ultratacks I would have ordered the 7 Supertacks. May just be a mental thing for me now that I love the feel of  my baked Supertacks, but I recall the 6.5 Ultratacks feeling fine width wise but a bit longer than how my unbaked 6.5 supertacks felt. If what you are saying is that you liked the general length feel of the 6.5 Ultras, I would order the 7 Super.  I loved how the 6.5 1S skates felt but the Supertacks had a better heel lock for me out of the box even before baking, and this ultimately led to me reaffirming that the 6.5 Supertacks would be perfect for me. Hope this helps and if others can add to their experience it would be great.

Sure does help.  Really appreciate it.

I'm about a month or so in with the Super Tacks and have to say so far I'm very happy with the skate. I had a short rough patch of intense foot pain with skates, centered on the arch area and forefoot of the skate. It made skating pretty unbearable but I pushed through each skate trying to tie my skates loose, leaving the top eyelet undone, etc. Ultimately I swapped out the footbeds for the CCM Medium Arch footbeds and haven't experienced any pain or discomfort since. When I was experiencing the foot pain it was when using my custom Superfeet and the new Carbon Superfeet. I intend on going back and giving those footbeds another try but for now the CCM insole is what I am sticking to. 

Outside of that the skate has been fine, no hotspots or blister areas or lacebite. The other thing that I've been really impressed with is the liner of the skate, I've skated in some pretty hot rinks and I sweat like crazy but every time I take the Super Tacks off the liner still feels bone dry. 

2 hours ago, the_game said:

I'm about a month or so in with the Super Tacks and have to say so far I'm very happy with the skate. I had a short rough patch of intense foot pain with skates, centered on the arch area and forefoot of the skate. It made skating pretty unbearable but I pushed through each skate trying to tie my skates loose, leaving the top eyelet undone, etc. Ultimately I swapped out the footbeds for the CCM Medium Arch footbeds and haven't experienced any pain or discomfort since. When I was experiencing the foot pain it was when using my custom Superfeet and the new Carbon Superfeet. I intend on going back and giving those footbeds another try but for now the CCM insole is what I am sticking to. 

Outside of that the skate has been fine, no hotspots or blister areas or lacebite. The other thing that I've been really impressed with is the liner of the skate, I've skated in some pretty hot rinks and I sweat like crazy but every time I take the Super Tacks off the liner still feels bone dry. 

How did you find skipping the top eyelet? I used to on my old skates but the supertacks don't come up as high.

21 hours ago, GQRDY said:

How did you find skipping the top eyelet? I used to on my old skates but the supertacks don't come up as high.

Didn't really make much of a difference to me. Obviously more forward lean but I messed around with it when tying my skates loose to try and alleviate the foot pain. 

Hey guys,

Just had my first skate with my Super Tacks after baking and profiling the steel yesterday. All I can say is man are these things nice... Coming from Vapor 1X that I was skating in for about a year which fit well up until about 3 months ago when only my right heel started to slip out of the heel pocket which started to cause Haglunds bump:/, so I decided to give the Super Tacks a try. I had the steel profiled to a 9ft radius with a slight toe down pitch to match what I had done on my LS3 runners... The first thing I noticed was that I had no pain at all (which is crazy to me on the first time out with them) and the great forward flex I was getting, after a little warm up we got a little small area scrimmage going and I honestly just felt more agile and felt like my tight turns, starts, and stops were more effortless. I have a tier II mens league game tonight and before I tried out the Super tacks today I told myself that I would just wear my 1X's for a few more games until I got used to the Super Tacks but SCREW that noise I'm Repping the new Jets and feel great about it! 

One thing I was considering before I even bought the Super tacks is throwing a pair of Tuuk Edge holders on them... But as it stands right now I might not even do that, We'll see.

accidentally posted this in the wrong section

Thinking about snagging a pair, currently in APX2 that are pretty broken down and shot and had makos for a bit but needed a stiffer skate due to some ankle issues with my one foot.  I'm into the tech of a monocoque designed boot, and was thinking VH but pretty interested in this package.   Anyone come from an APX2 skate?  negative space drives me crazy and have found a decent way of dealing with it thanks to powerfoot but miss the wrap of makos.   I know I need to get to a shop to try these on, just trying to do some research before I take a 2hr drive to a local shop.  Thanks guys

• Like 1

The Super Tacks are still the best skate I've ever worn, but I have to say I'm pretty pissed off at the fact that I am having some stitching issues after having them for less than 6 months and skating on them only 1-2 times per week.  

The stitching in the tendon guard on the left skate and the stitching near the right skate bottom eyelet.  It wouldn't be so bothersome to me if I didn't spend almost $1k on them :angry:. It's my first pair of CCM skates since I started playing 27 years ago, I have to say I am disappointed, as I never saw QC issues on any Bauer skates I used (3000, 4000, Comp, One95).

IMG_2951.jpgIMG_2952.jpgIMG_2953.jpg

Yeah, I got to see Leon one last time in December and shook his hand and wished him well.  Gonna miss that guy and everything he did for all of us out here.  I'm wondering if my stitching issues could be covered under warranty though... gotta check on that.  

For you guys that are skating in SuperTacks now, how are you finding the protection?  I love my Makos, but they seem to offer exactly no protection for my feet against shots.  Shots to the quarter that I never would have felt in my One95's are borderline debilitating in the Makos...

If you love the fit and performance of the Makos, but don't like the protection then getting shot blockers for your Makos would seem to make more sense than buying new skates that may or may not work for you as well.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, althoma1 said:

If you love the fit and performance of the Makos, but don't like the protection then getting shot blockers for your Makos would seem to make more sense than buying new skates that may or may not work for you as well.

Totally agree for the most part. Tried on the super tacks and they fit me very well, and I have the opportunity to pick up a pair for a ridiculously low price. So just thought I'd check and see if they hold up a bit better in the protection department.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I haven't worn them, but did handle and try them on. The Super Tacks didn't fit as well as the Makos in the toe area, but the heel lock was good. I don't think they would wrap as well and I think I would miss the flexible tendon guard,  but I do think they would be more protective.  That's only speculation though.  Hopefully someone who has used them can answer your question.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2016 at 7:20 PM, kovalchuk71 said:

I'm still curious why CCM would pick their "Revolutionary" Skate to be the fit that doesn't seem to work for a lot of people, width wise. I would have assumed they would have made this skate to be more of a Jetspeed/Supreme fit.

They already had the jetspeed. You dont want to introduce competition/confusion by having two products that fit the same. Also who says the fit doesn't work for a lot of people? With the new narrow heel I think it would fit a lot more people than the past tacks fit. 

On 8/19/2016 at 4:41 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Mine did not require new holes. Used exactly the size it required.  Remember that SB 4.0 has same rivet pattern as Tuuk.  As long as you match the holder size you should be good.

Had to expand on one of the holes. 

IMG_1567.JPG

whats the advantage of running the edge holder over the +4.0? you can get all same steel for them... is there a strength or fit aspect im missing?