Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

CCM Super Tacks Skate Initial Thoughts

im in the market for either the Super Tacks or new Jetspeeds FT1 when they release (whichever one fits better). ive always had Grafs and swap Tuuks on to them. was just curious as to the swap. my current Graf 9035 with Edge holders and LS4 steel is a great combo. im hoping the ST or FT1 can match with the +4.0 holders and black step steel, your thoughts?

2 hours ago, JWells said:

im in the market for either the Super Tacks or new Jetspeeds FT1 when they release (whichever one fits better). ive always had Grafs and swap Tuuks on to them. was just curious as to the swap. my current Graf 9035 with Edge holders and LS4 steel is a great combo. im hoping the ST or FT1 can match with the +4.0 holders and black step steel, your thoughts?

According to CCM, the forward pitch of sb+4 holder itself is the same as tuuk. If you to believe that, switching sb+4 to Edge holders on SuperTacks should produce no change in feel.

JR, please confirm above as you are SuperTacks with Edge holder, assuming you ever tried the skates with SBs.

Other than that, boot cut forward lean is the factor. I do not know how FT1 and SuperTacks are cut, but Graf boots are similar if not the same as JetSpeed forward lean. Perhaps FT1 will replace your Graf+Edge combo nicely.

On 4.2.2017 at 1:45 AM, MCornell said:

How is everyone finding the stiffness? Know I was nervous of a one piece composite boot but can anyone compare stiffness to a Bauer? Thanks !

Having used top of the line Bauer skates for many years, switching from 1X to SuperTacks was a smooth transition. I instantly felt the improvements - better agility, and seamless fit. Regarding stiffnes SuperTacks provide all the great support you demand from a stiff skate though on the other hand are excellently balanced in a way they provide more agility / flexibility to me without sacrificing any lack in support, durability etc. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, markush said:

Having used top of the line Bauer skates for many years, switching from 1X to SuperTacks was a smooth transition. I instantly felt the improvements - better agility, and seamless fit. Regarding stiffnes SuperTacks provide all the great support you demand from a stiff skate though on the other hand are excellently balanced in a way they provide more agility / flexibility to me without sacrificing any lack in support, durability etc. 

I am a little surprised that the switch to the SuperTacks was so smooth because aren't they for a different foot profile than the 1X?  Were you always in Vapors?  How long have you been in the Tacks?

• Like 2

On 6.2.2017 at 2:41 PM, proth0303 said:

I am a little surprised that the switch to the SuperTacks was so smooth because aren't they for a different foot profile than the 1X?  Were you always in Vapors?  How long have you been in the Tacks?

Well it is indeed different - though not that much. You won't believe how different the fit even within the Vapor line is from top-model line from season to season. So from X60 (former top-model) for example to APX or from that to 1X. I have a wider forefoot and and need quite some volume in the boot. Having used Bauer / Vapor skates the last few years (starting from X60) and now switching back to CCM was a good decision. Now I am in the SuperTacks since June and will never change back :-) Have to say that especially the 1X was the best Bauer skates i have been using (and was able to compare 4 different top of the line models X60/APX/APX2/1X) over the years ... the SuperTacks just provide the perfect fit (which is probably due to the new 360 degree complete moldable technology). 

Edited by markush
  • Like 1

I'd also like to know about the pitch difference. I am on the Easton Mako with Tuuk Edge holders and a 3mm lift. Wondering if I would need a 3mm lift as well when transitioning to the Super Tacks, although it seems like the Super Tacks boot is slightly shorter and canted forward compared to the Mako.

On 2/18/2017 at 1:29 AM, salibandy said:

I'd also like to know about the pitch difference. I am on the Easton Mako with Tuuk Edge holders and a 3mm lift. Wondering if I would need a 3mm lift as well when transitioning to the Super Tacks, although it seems like the Super Tacks boot is slightly shorter and canted forward compared to the Mako.

How is the fit compared to your Makos?

On April 26, 2017 at 2:20 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I've heard that the Super Tacks is a very difficult skate to punch/stretch due to it's stiffness.  Anyone have experience stretching or punching out a hot spot?

I was wondering this as well 

now that the FT1 has been released, has anyone had a chance to compare them?

W the one piece style boot in both the Jetspeed and Tacks skates, does one need to punch them out?

Ive seen pics floating around that indicate punching out isn't recommended ..... some clarification would be awesome

Im still on the hunt for some new wheels, my S190's didnt pan out :( 

On 8/19/2016 at 7:41 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Mine did not require new holes. Used exactly the size it required.  Remember that SB 4.0 has same rivet pattern as Tuuk.  As long as you match the holder size you should be good.

Had to expand on one of the holes. 

IMG_1567.JPG

Got a pair of jet speed skates.  Love the boot but not the blade/holder.  I can not get use to the pitch either.  I want to trade out the holders for Tuuk light speed.  My current skate is a size 7.5 EE.  the holder size on SB 4.0 is 271.  To keep from having to drill new holes what size tuuk holder would you use? 272?  I don't see bauer offering a 271 size holder

sent my jet speeds off to JR and got Lightspeed holders put on them.  They look great.  Love the Jetspeed boot but felt off balance with the ccm holder.  Skated many years in Bauer skates, which is probably the reason, but I just could not adjust.  Hoping this helps  Thanks JR

• Like 1

On 6/24/2016 at 11:20 PM, kovalchuk71 said:

Not as wide, MUCH narrower heel pocket. The heel pocket width is on par now with the Jetspeed, which I would say is equal to the Vapor ( "A" width heel). 

You seem like you may know this.  Looking back at older posts I loved the ccm super racks when we demoed them at summer jam.  I found a pair and found a pair of as3 pros that are a good price.  I was using VH skates and makos.  I blew through VH and makos really fast as well as trues.  In terms of fit profile did the super racks and as3 pro change?

On 8/8/2023 at 10:55 AM, iceman8310 said:

In terms of fit profile did the super racks and as3 pro change?

I never wore the supertacks, just tried them on. I did wear the 1st gen jetspeeds (D) and I also have AS3 pros (D). The big difference for me between the supertacks / jetspeeds and the AS3 pro is the heel width. the AS3 is a lot wider. After the first 2 weeks or so of wearing them the padding reduces significantly and I have now resorted to baking under the ankle and wrapping and clamping them. I'm not that happy with the fit and am going to try to build something along the lines of a ccm fit machine and use air bladders. Overall the AS3 pro is a bigger fit.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:32 PM, Vet88 said:

I never wore the supertacks, just tried them on. I did wear the 1st gen jetspeeds (D) and I also have AS3 pros (D). The big difference for me between the supertacks / jetspeeds and the AS3 pro is the heel width. the AS3 is a lot wider. After the first 2 weeks or so of wearing them the padding reduces significantly and I have now resorted to baking under the ankle and wrapping and clamping them. I'm not that happy with the fit and am going to try to build something along the lines of a ccm fit machine and use air bladders. Overall the AS3 pro is a bigger fit.

So I should find a pair of super racks if I liked those compared to the as3 pro skates

9 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

So I should find a pair of super racks if I liked those compared to the as3 pro skates

If you liked the fit of the super tacks then I'd be staying with those unless you are prepared to mod the as3 pros to get a better fit. I'm not trying to knock the as3 pros, they are a great skate, I love the wider forefoot (no pain out of the box) and the stiffness of the skate, but the heel width is an issue that I am continually working on.

3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If you liked the fit of the super tacks then I'd be staying with those unless you are prepared to mod the as3 pros to get a better fit. I'm not trying to knock the as3 pros, they are a great skate, I love the wider forefoot (no pain out of the box) and the stiffness of the skate, but the heel width is an issue that I am continually working on.

Thank you.  I had VH/trues and when I demoed the super tacks I loved feel and fit.