Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GQRDY

Reps & Sets in the Gym

Wonder if anyone here would know.

Currently doing sets of 3 for 10 reps, which I think is more aimed at size. Would switching to 3 sets of 5 reps more aimed at strength transition better to on ice?

Thanks.

What specific exercise?

by and large, you only gain mass the last few reps when you're fatigued. 3/10, 4/8 sets/reps are fine as long as you cater the weight. Do more sets and reps at lower weights to work on being mean and strong with endurance. And make sure you are in proper form. Adding weight does little if form is poor

Pure strength, ie how much you can bench/squat etc would be gained by keeping reps low and weight high... think 3-5 reps at maybe 80% of your one rep max. 

Keep in mind though that there's much more than raw strength required in hockey. A player in "good hockey shape" will have a combination of strength, explosiveness, and endurance. You don't have to squat 405 for reps, but you do need to be able to accelerate quickly to beat a guy in a footrace to the puck (explosiveness), deliver or ward off a check (strength), and then recover quickly enough to do it multiple times in a 45 sec shift (endurance). Know your strengths and weaknesses and tailor your program as such.

A good summer off-ice program will therefore include weightlifting, plyos/Olympic lifting for explosiveness, and running/biking for endurance, typically as sprints or intervals . There's a ton of info out there on the internet for that. Any questions just ask.

Something worth mentioning is to focus on "exploding" through each rep regardless of the exercise. I.e. aggressively force the bar up during bench press (without sacrificing control or form) and then allow the weight to come back down to your chest between double or triple the amount of time it took for you to push it up. This is how you get that explosiveness lampliter87 is referring to, which is very situationally relevant for corner or net battles. 

1 hour ago, IW Team - Chase said:

Something worth mentioning is to focus on "exploding" through each rep regardless of the exercise. I.e. aggressively force the bar up during bench press (without sacrificing control or form) and then allow the weight to come back down to your chest between double or triple the amount of time it took for you to push it up. This is how you get that explosiveness lampliter87 is referring to, which is very situationally relevant for corner or net battles. 

Yes exactly. Programming that features exercises like box jumps and full cleans emphasizes this explosive movement by recruiting fast twitch muscle fibers... essential for a quick, powerful stride.

thanks.

I mean I play ice 3-4 times a week roller once, do HITT cardio, box jumps & weightlifting, so I think I have all the parts covered.

Was just the rep ranges I was confused about, will try doing 3x5 instead of 3x10 on most lifts and focus on exploding.

6 minutes ago, lampliter87 said:

For the strength training portion, look into 5x5 Stronglifts:

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

yeah I looked at that, was just going to adapt my current program to 3x5, but il take another look thanks.

I do 3 sets, 15-12-10, all the same weight. But I also don't go to the gym, I just work out at home. I also really like rowing machines. I hate running so this is a good full body thing for me. 

For strength, keep the reps low, 3-6 reps and 5-6 set.. rest enough between each set so you are fully recovered and can go max in each set.. you're not supposed to make the muscles fatiqued.. For optimal strength gains, you should allways have 1 heavy day, and 1 explosive day.

For size.. 6-8 reps, 3-5 set.. Choose a weight you can max out 6-8 reps from in 3-5 set.. 

A typical strength gain schedule for Bench that iv'e used for many years.

Say your max bench is 220lbs and your new goal is 240lbs. You allways put your workout weights from your new goal. But be realistic, dont set your new goal to high. Max 25lbs in a 7 week period.

Heavy                           Explosive

w1 70% 5set*6reps     80% of heavy 5*2

w2 70% 5*5.                 80% of heavy 5*2

w3 75% 5*5.                 80% of heavy 5*2

w4 75% 5*3.                 80% of heavy 5*2

w5 80% 5*3                  80% of heavy 5*2

w6 85% 5*2                  80% of heavy 5*2

w7 warmup + Max      Rest