Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krisdrum

Knee issue... being proactive

While at S&P last Sunday with my son, I  dislocated my kneecap (initial diagnosis, fingers crossed no other damage) while falling trying to avoid another young player.  Been in an immobilizing brace since, as well as icing to reduce swelling.  Day by day the pain and instability is getting better and better, slowly.  However, I am concerned with potential future issues.  Anyone have similar existing/acute issues?  If so, what has been your experience?  Anyone regularly play with a knee brace under your shins?  If so, what type are you using?

This is my first injury needing medical attention in all my years playing sports (tennis, soccer, alpine skiing, skateboarding, cycling) so it definitely has me a bit gun shy.  

My right knee is wrecked from years of skateboarding, moshing, playing hockey without pads, etc. I play with a knee brace under my shins sometimes. It's a higher end one you can get at a grocery store pharmacy so nothing super fancy, I think it was $25. Velcro with some flexible but stiff inserts in the sides for stability. Anything heavier duty than that may require some pad modification.

Howdy,

I've started playing with a shock doctor 875 knee brace under my shins.  Years back I tore my meniscus and if I'm on my feet a ton it bothers me.  I started skating / hockey about a year ago and noticed my knee was feeling "looser" recently, so I started wearing the knee brace.

I've liked it so far, no real issues.  It certainly takes up a little more space under the shin guard, but outside of the straps being "set longer" or whatever, I've not noticed any other issue.

Mark

I basically signed up for the forum just to comment. I also dislocated my kneecap while playing hockey, and it resulted in early arthritis, which has been extremely disabling. I'm able to hobble around the ice once a week, but pay for it for days after with an aching knee.

You don't mention that you've seen an orthopedic surgeon, but I strongly recommend getting some scans done to see if it has damaged any of your articular cartilage behind your kneecap. If you have caused damage, and continue scrape at it, you could do further permanent damage, like I did. I've had two osteotomies, 4 scopes, and now looking at a replacement.

Also, get an xray and determine if you have patellar alta (high riding kneecaps) - which pre-disposes one to disclocations.

Basically, consider me a worst case scenario of what can happen if this isn't taken seriously. cheers.

Thanks gents.  Been a week  + a day since the fun began.  Swelling is down nearly to normal.  Sleeping with the immobilizer brace on, but during the day using a shock doctor sleeve I picked up at my local sporting goods store.  Still some pain/limited range of motion at the extremes of the normal knee path.  Up stairs takes some thinking/effort.  Down stairs is still pretty challenging for the impacted knee.  I try to ice it once a day as well.  Feeling stronger/more stable day by day.  Given that progress in a week I am less concerned about permanent damage.  Also not concerned about a predisposition given this is my 1st knee issue in 30+ years of agility sports.  But this is all good food for thought and definitely stuff I will continue to monitor.  

What shin guards were you using (if any) when the injury occurred? I'd be considering the best fitting and most protective pair I could find to help prevent further injury. If you still want to pursue the knee brace option, message fatwabbit (http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/profile/1082-fatwabbit/) and I'm sure he will help. I know he has been in a few braces over the years (talking proper braces here, not just a sleeve arrangement) and pretty much knows what works and doesn't under shin guards.

And yes, an MRI is about the best thing you could do to evaluate the injury. It will tell you exactly what is going on with your knee internally. You have done 30+ years of agility sports, sadly age and wear and tear catches up on all of us at one time or another.

good input vet.  Thanks.  Shins are original Vapor APX 13" (I'm little).  Truth be told I could probably go up to a 14".  New shins is something I am thinking about.  I find the knee pocket to be a bit shallow at times.  I quickly tried on some low level Supremes the other day and felt the knee cap had much better depth and wrap.  

Knee feeling better and better day by day.  I am traveling  for business next week, so that is another week of rest and guaranteed to not have time to skate.  

I'll definitely look into the MRI from a "let's make doubly sure" perspective.  And yes, age and wear and tear catches us all I suppose.  

I have had issues with my right knee for about 15 years.  First, I partially tore my ACL and had it scoped to clean it up, that was followed by wearing a custom fit carbon fiber knee brace for many years (I'd add a knee pad to it that was made for it, then remove the knee padding from my shinguards to make it all fit well).  Well, after so many years that didn't hold up and I ended up completely snapping my ACL playing one night.  6 or so years later I finally had my ACL replaced and started playing again last year.  With my new and improved ACL I don't need a knee brace, but after wearing one for so many years I decided to wear one for that little extra piece of mind.

I now wear this on my knee after researching quite a bit (this is their older model, the newer one does not give the same support): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O28DORC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, in that time frame, my other knee, my "good" knee, must've been wearing from compensating for the other with the torn ACL.  One night during a game I had my "good" leg extended behind me and the blade caught a rut and just twisted my foot ever so slightly (for the record, I was wearing RBK 16k shunguards which I have since ditched, my knee never felt very deep in them, I now have Vapor X900's which fit and feel a lot better), I didn't think much of it but I must've sprained something because I couldn't straighten the leg all the way without pain.  I had it checked out by my orthopedic doctor and he concluded there was nothing really injured and I just needed to rest a few weeks.  Since then it has gotten much better and I decided I might as well wear a brace on that leg too, I went with one that had a little extra lateral support: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D2U75S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So now I look like a bionic man as I get dressed but, to be honest, they don't ever get in the way.  I didn't have to modify my shinguards in any way to fit them and they're very comfortable, so for the price I think they were a small investment even if they were just psychological.