Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldSlowFat

Penguins 2015-16 skate setups chart

I think past versions are floating around the net, but I hadn't seen one for 2015 - so I thought I'd post.

Apologies if wrong spot! Surprised by the complete lack of FBV cuts.

1sf4sm.jpg

1 hour ago, bisons06 said:

Very cool thanks for posting. Just wondering, what would the 1 1/8 sharpening be like? Very dull or very sharp ?

It would still be sharp like any hollow if freshly done. Would have more glide and a skater strong on their edges would benefit from it.

1 1/4" for Cullen? Holy shallow, Batman. And here I thought at 7/8" was shallow (my preferred depth). 

It's hard to believe that Phil Kessel skates on 3/8", considering how well he can move and his weight (200+ lbs.)

+1 thanks for the posting, interesting insight to what the elite are using today. From one extreme to another - Cullen, Lovejoy, Sheary, Hornquist all on slippery side of 1"+ and then there is Murray and Zatcoff, that's a hell of a deep v for G men.

Also interesting to see no LS4 on that list despite it being Bauers latest and greatest and supposedly cured of its initial problems....

Besides the fbv being absent, it seems that a lot of guys are on fairly shallow roh. I thought that was pretty interesting. Back in the day, there might be one guy on my team that would be skating shallower than 5/8ths. I switched to 3/4 last year for the softer ice in the summer, and 11/16ths for the winter. Perfecto! I'd wager a lot of rec players are on a deeper hollow than they should be.

Considering how hot nhl arenas are in the middle of the winter even, I'd say ice is very soft across the board 

I'm not surprised with the lack of FBV.  Even a couple of years ago Matt Cooke was the only player on Pittsburgh using FBV.

Some players are going with shallower hollows and some of that is because of input from Dana Heinze.  Crosby 7/16 -> 9/16, Malkin 9/16 -> 11/16, Kunitz 7/16 -> 1/2.

1 hour ago, mickz said:

I'm not surprised with the lack of FBV.  Even a couple of years ago Matt Cooke was the only player on Pittsburgh using FBV.

Some players are going with shallower hollows and some of that is because of input from Dana Heinze.  Crosby 7/16 -> 9/16, Malkin 9/16 -> 11/16, Kunitz 7/16 -> 1/2.

I'd assume it is due to the delicate-ness of the FBV sharpening, and the resistance to change. If you fold an edge in a game with FBV, it is MUCH harder to recover than if you do the same thing with an traditional ROH (In my experience at least)

Great post, really interesting on the difference between Fleury with less bite and Murray and Zatkoff with lots of bite. Wonder if that has to do with how often Fleury plays the puck behind the net

Wow, that definitely puts a new perspective on things.  I've been running a 7/16 or 1/2, guess there is plenty of space to play around with.

On 7/11/2016 at 2:29 PM, krisdrum said:

Wow, that definitely puts a new perspective on things.  I've been running a 7/16 or 1/2, guess there is plenty of space to play around with.

You always want to go with the MOST shallow radius that still allows you to comfortably control your edges. Smaller Radius = More Glide = More Speed.

On 7/11/2016 at 0:35 AM, kovalchuk71 said:

I'd assume it is due to the delicate-ness of the FBV sharpening, and the resistance to change. If you fold an edge in a game with FBV, it is MUCH harder to recover than if you do the same thing with an traditional ROH (In my experience at least)

Equipment guys in certain markets have a big influence

10 hours ago, kovalchuk71 said:

You always want to go with the MOST shallow radius that still allows you to comfortably control your edges. Smaller Radius = More Glide = More Speed.

I think you meant "Larger Radius = More Glide = More Speed"? A larger radius is more shallow.

And I think the chart should show VH skates for Ian Cole and Matt Murray. :smile:

IIRC,  Matt Cooke was on the last sheet from a few years back. He was a big proponent of FBV. His departure from the Pens could have something to do with the lack of FBV representation. 

12 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I think you meant "Larger Radius = More Glide = More Speed"? A larger radius is more shallow.

And I think the chart should show VH skates for Ian Cole and Matt Murray. :smile:

Good catch! You are correct. :)

What's interesting is that I know three EQMs for Canadian universities that no longer have any skaters deeper than 9/16 ROH.  A lot of them justify this by saying once they convinced the players that they had the weight and edge control enough for bite, they all loved the extra glide and speed.