Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgold47

Any Bauer Skate Guru's who can help me pick new skates

So I've decided to purchase a new pair of skates.  I have a wide-ish, higherish volume foot, and am having a hard time figuring out what Bauers to get.  I'm also just getting back into skating again, and at best will be joining a beer league team in the fall. 

Went to LHS and tried on the S160's and the X500.  They didnt have the Nexus in stock.

LHS tried to talk me out of the nexus saying they were just way too big.

I liked the S160's, but after standing in them talking to the guy, I started to get some discomfort just under my heel bones (*will that go away when they are baked?*).

I didnt expect to like the Vapors, and I could feel the outside of my foot touching the outside of the boot, but they were strangely more comfortable. 

LHS suggested I might try a half size up in the vapors, but I'm already slightly smaller than 6 (and a whole half size smaller in my left foot), so that didnt make a lot of sense (and puts me back into the Graf's I already have). 

Any suggestions for what to expect with each boot?  and what would change if they were baked?

Last question:

a hypothetical:  If given the same amount of money:

Would you

a) buy a current season pair of 160's

b) last years 170's

c) a slightly used pair of APX2?

I'm trying to understand the model line levels vs. the previous years

Thanks in advance

I have similar feet to the OP, and the Nexus line is what you should at least try via another shop. I'm not sure if you ever tried the old nike flexlite skates, but the general fit isn't dissimilar, at least on the mid-level boots.

For people that need a deep, wide forefoot skate for hobbit feet, they're a godsend. Love em.

Why are you so committed to Bauers? Is that all your shop stocks, or is there a deal to be had, or what?

To your question: There haven't been any big shifts in Bauer skates recently, you're better off buying a higher model of the previous year, than a lower model of the current year. 

I've always skated in Bauers (except for the Graf's I got when I first started skating again).  I'm not necessarily 100% committed to Bauer, its just more of a personal preference. 

13 minutes ago, start_today said:

Why are you so committed to Bauers? Is that all your shop stocks, or is there a deal to be had, or what?

To your question: There haven't been any big shifts in Bauer skates recently, you're better off buying a higher model of the previous year, than a lower model of the current year. 

wrt your hypothetical question, you should definitely buy the apx2's, they are a significantly better skate than the other 2 you mentioned.

Fit is the determination you should use as to the brand and model you should buy. It looks like you fit a 5.5 on one foot and a 6 on the other in Bauer? If you want to try something else look at the CCM range from last year - Ribcors (widest and deepest and most likely the boot that will fit you) Jetspeeds (more like the vapour fit) or Ultra Tacks (akin to the supreme fit). CCM screwed up the sizing so a 6 in a Bauer is a 5 in a CCM. This puts you into junior sizings and you could get a top of the line CCM skate for the equivalent price of a mid range Bauer and thats a damn good buy for those of us that can do this. Plus CCM skates will be on clearance soon / now as the new range comes out which makes it an even better buy at this point in time.

14 hours ago, Vet88 said:

wrt your hypothetical question, you should definitely buy the apx2's, they are a significantly better skate than the other 2 you mentioned.

Fit is the determination you should use as to the brand and model you should buy. It looks like you fit a 5.5 on one foot and a 6 on the other in Bauer? If you want to try something else look at the CCM range from last year - Ribcors (widest and deepest and most likely the boot that will fit you) Jetspeeds (more like the vapour fit) or Ultra Tacks (akin to the supreme fit). CCM screwed up the sizing so a 6 in a Bauer is a 5 in a CCM. This puts you into junior sizings and you could get a top of the line CCM skate for the equivalent price of a mid range Bauer and thats a damn good buy for those of us that can do this. Plus CCM skates will be on clearance soon / now as the new range comes out which makes it an even better buy at this point in time.

If I was to investigate the CCM Ribcors (I keep hearing the Tacks are the deepest and biggest), and I can drop to a junior size (interesting...) I weigh about 230 on a good day, wont I annihilate a junior skate pretty quick?

so where I'm a little confused on the nexus line is that everyone is saying they are wide enough that their D is like an E.  I have a pair of Nexus 400's, in a 6EE that I'm skating in now and they fit fine width wise, but I can see the top of my foot hitting the laces (I do have superfeet in there).  has the Nexus line changed that much in the last 3 years, or should I use the current skate I have as a guide?

They haven't changed that much in the last 3 years so your current skate is a good guide. And yes, my mistake, Tacks are what you should be looking at for the widest and deepest boot in that CCM range.

APX2s are way better than any other skate you mentioned, but may not be the right fit for your foot.  Any pressure points you felt in the Vapors you tried would be especially problematic in the APX2 as they're extra stiff and problem areas would be intensified.  They're moldable, but they're not as flexible, particularly in the lower quarters, as a Mako or Ribcor.

If you came close to fitting in Vapor D-width, then you definitely do not need a Nexus.  If the Vapor you were close in was an EE, than a Nexus D-width may be an option.  I'd trust the sales rep you had.  The Nexus like is significantly wider than the Supreme or Vapor lines.

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

They haven't changed that much in the last 3 years so your current skate is a good guide. And yes, my mistake, Tacks are what you should be looking at for the widest and deepest boot in that CCM range.

Nexus's fit changed this year.

58 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Im just going to wait until I can try everything on. I skated great yesterday in my 400's so I think I'm ok to wait for now.  I'll order some new steel for them (my sharpener won't sharpen them again they're so worn down) and just get through the summer and then reevaluate. 

7 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Small changes I thought, slightly narrower heel, injected lacing (means a little less volume), new liner, more curve material and a taller tendon guard but overall the skate is still wider and taller than any other skate in the Bauer range?