Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bubaloo

2016 1x stick

30 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

Which brings us back to the question : $300 ???????

I get that no one likes price jumps but no one's forcing consumers to buy the top of the line stick. The $199.99 sticks (really most PP's from most vendors) are significantly improved over previous generations and in my opinion, the $199 PP sticks are better than a lot of top end sticks of the past that would have cost more money. This is all without touching on last year closeout buys. 

...And the XN10 from 2006 outperforms most high end sticks today. It's easy to cherry pick examples that fit either side of the debate but the reality is on average, prices have increased at a much faster clip than the marginal increases in stick technology would justify (which are barely noticeable to the end user). And more obviously, the price increases have FAR outpaced wage growth and inflation from a US consumer standpoint. That said, the consumer is part to blame for buying sticks at ridiculous price points in the first place. 

23 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

...And the XN10 from 2006 outperforms most high end sticks today. It's easy to cherry pick examples that fit either side of the debate but the reality is on average, prices have increased at a much faster clip than the marginal increases in stick technology would justify (which are barely noticeable to the end user). And more obviously, the price increases have FAR outpaced wage growth and inflation from a US consumer standpoint. That said, the consumer is part to blame for buying sticks at ridiculous price points in the first place. 

That's a good point and an even better stick. Man, do I miss mine.

Since the NXG in 2012, top of the line Bauer sticks have gone up an average of $10 a year ($259 > $299). With that being said, $399 for a top the line stick in a decade doesn't sound remotely farfetched.

22 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

Which brings us back to the question : $300 ???????

"Hey Ma, I just broke my $300 stick."

Try $392 after tax in Canada...

On 07/18/2016 at 6:24 PM, Healthyscratch said:

This. I'm looking out for the brands who are hungry. Those are the guys who are putting their hearts into making a stick.

Bauer is basically the Apple inc. of Hockey equipment now. Once a revolutionary, now just rides the popularity wave and let's someone else innovate - copies it - slaps Bauer brand on it and sells it for $100 more.

Case and point: For those of you who have young kids... Up until Raven came along, Bauer had zero interest in selling you a youth stick that was adequate for young players. They were cool with selling parents of 5 year olds 50 flex sticks (which became 80 flex after being cut) with the same paint job as the adult sticks. Raven comes along, has success, now Bauer has 20/30/40 flex sticks. I think they even copied the same paint scheme as Raven (green 20, orange 30 etc). 

Back to the Apple comparison. 

Apple puts out a new phone every year, sometimes the only noticeable improvement is a couple of mega pixels on a camera and people go crazy over it. 

Support the the smaller guys like True. Those guys lose sleep at night on how they can make their product better. 

Lower flex youth sticks have been out for quite some time.  CCM also has a 20 flex stick now FWIW

1 hour ago, mickz said:

Lower flex youth sticks have been out for quite some time.  CCM also has a 20 flex stick now FWIW

The CCM/Bauer youth flexes are useless anyways, since the sticks twist more than they flex.

9 hours ago, kovalchuk71 said:

The CCM/Bauer youth flexes are useless anyways, since the sticks twist more than they flex.

You could say that about Youth sized composite sticks in general.  Most players at that age don't have proper shooting mechanics down yet.  Some parents will buy a more expensive stick to try and compensate for it.

The lower flex youth sticks may be useless for shooting but they're better for passing and puck feel. 

For nearly a decade, Bauer (nor anyone else that matter) was interested in actually making a youth stick that was adequate for "youth" to use. They were very content selling you a paint job more than a functioning product. 

Additionally, my main point is that Bauer, right now, is straight up copying the Raven sticks and strategy. Right down to the color coded sticks. 

It's one thing to be competitive, it's another to blatantly rip off the competitions product. 

2 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Additionally, my main point is that Bauer, right now, is straight up copying the Raven sticks and strategy. Right down to the color coded sticks. 

It's one thing to be competitive, it's another to blatantly rip off the competitions product. 

Because they used basic similar colors and expanded their Prodigy flex offerings by two (25 & 45 flex is new) and their length offering by one (50")? 

On July 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Healthyscratch said:

The lower flex youth sticks may be useless for shooting but they're better for passing and puck feel. 

For nearly a decade, Bauer (nor anyone else that matter) was interested in actually making a youth stick that was adequate for "youth" to use. They were very content selling you a paint job more than a functioning product. 

No, they really haven't. 

They are the same youth sticks Bauer has always made. Crappy fiberglass garbage with flashy colors and buzzwords to lure parents in. What's the point of making the tooling the flex system for kids if the blade has ZERO puck feel to it? The blades are HORRID on them. Those plastic Mylec blades that you screw onto a stick have more puck feel. 

More of the same. 

On 7/21/2016 at 9:08 AM, Healthyscratch said:

You must be new to the hockey market, and the capitalist market in general. Any time something is successful, others will jump on board to offer the same thing in their brand to maximize sales.

e.g. notice how CCM's new super tacks boot is similar to what a Curv composite boot is like? Or how after Easton released an E28 pattern, every other manufacturer now has a clone? Bauer's ICRS goalie strap system being stretchy and velcro like the Brian's smart strap system? CCM resistance helmet adjusting in a similar fashion to the IMS 7.0 / M11 helmet? CCM coming out with a third sticks line after Bauer established theirs?

It's not just Bauer, its smart companies that will see what is popular and then put their own spin on it. 

ended up with a new 1x anyway on a warranty return on an old stick. Long story but I have a relationship with a shop owner

used it last night and must say its a good stick. It's better then the first version and wow is it light and balanced. The release doesn't seem crazy good to me compared to a nexus 1n but still shoots different. Hard to explain. I enjoyed it though. Going to give it another few skates and see how I do. Since I've tried all three top end bauers now 1n, 1x and 1s I must say its their best line up ever. How that compares to other mfg though I've never tried that I don't know. 

I went through the Hockey Monkey demo program and got one of these on the ice on Sunday.  In my experience with it, I have to say it's the best Vapor they have made.  Even with all of the doubt of the cross-laid fibers, this stick was easier to load and had really good kick like Bauer claims.  In fact, it's the only low-kick stick I've ever used that I was able to actually get any load on wrist shots with.  It definitely felt like this stick had more of the levered or slingshot type motion on those "wrong foot" shots and passes that I make. I was getting all of the load and pop out of a low-kick, that I ususally have to use a mid-kick for and had a slightly faster release as a result.  The difference in the low-kick and mid-kick was most noticeable in passes, where they came off faster with less motion.  The blade had good feel to it.  It was a very slight bit heavier than my 1N, but still well balanced.  I prefer the more square profile of the Nexus, but this 1X isn't as rounded as previous versions were so that's a little better.  I can't speak to durability because I only shot pucks for about an hour and played in about another hour's worth of scrimmage.  I was doubtful about how much different it would be, either than the previous versions or my 1N.  But I honestly have to say that I liked it more than I thought I would, and probably enough to go and buy one when I need a new stick.  

In the past few months, I saw 1 bantam and 1 peewee snap their like-new 1X... I know both the kids can shoot and shoots rather hard, but both their sticks lasted less than a month.

My first year Bantam son just got the  new 1x, in junior (last one probably), used the Demo deal that was floating around, wanted to try before we buy a bit on this, as we only buy 1 stick a year and he has liked it a lot.

so far after a few weeks of skills and drills and lots of evaluation practice, no issues, looks brand new, but no game use yet, just lots of practice and scrimmage.

Cheers,