Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slooz

Graf Replacement Runners

Will aftermarket steel companies keep making runners for Cobra holders now that Graf is out of business? I got a sweet pair of skates this weekend but didn't really think through all the implications of Graf's bankruptcy.

Step steel still makes them, I just got them ordered through my local hockey shop last month for the cobras.  Its actually a much better quality steel than the stock graf, holds an edge longer in my experience.

Yes, Graf Cobra holders has to much of a legacy to just go away and be forgotten. 20-some years old Graf Supra 700's series skate is basically not only a still very functional Hockey skate, but at this point also a collectible. This is how people show some class... glide across the rink during an exhibition game, sporting an electric yellow "G" and big gold lettering on the tendon guard.... It almost feels like it should be a crime to wear those during practice. Pretty much  the only skate still in the game that you'd know is with some character and charisma comparing to the monotonous barrage of Bauers, CCMs, and Eastons that all look the same from 10 yards away. I took a pair to local store here to be sharpened, guy was holding it with two fingers and made like 40 super light passes with each skate over the grinding wheel. This was like the longest sharp job ever. They came out absolute tits though in the end, you could almost slice bread with them.... This is the level of respect that old school Graf Supra 700's commands with anyone who knows anything about skates. I do not know what you have there as a "sweet pair", but wear them proud, they worth it just for being Graf. When time comes to get a replacement steel, you will find it, even if you end up having to email Step about cutting them for you as a special order. If you plan on using your skates a lot, buy one pair of runners now, so you  can change them immediately and then shop for a new pair to put on the shelf for the next time around.