Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

Tackimac pro vs. command grip?

Howdy,

I just put a Tackimac Ribbed Command grip on my stick.

I like the idea of it and the texture, but I don't like that its thicker than tape, particularly on the butt end, but apparently everywhere.

The Pro Ribbed grip obviously doesn't have the thicker butt end, but is the lower portion the same thickness as the Command grip?

Thanks!

Mark

Howdy,

Also... Can the Tacki Mac grip be removed once installed without destroying it?  I'm tempted to just cut the knob end off, if so.

Mark

Howdy,

Thanks, yeah I finally used the right search terms after I posted (ugh) and found the "roll off like a condom" thing.  So the grip is now off, though I needed four hands to do it... :-)

Still, is the Pro grip thinner than the ribbed command grip?

Mark

I haven't tried the pro grip. I always found the Kane grips to be the best and thinnest, but unfortunately no knob. So I'd just make a 1/2" knob out of tape and put the grip over top. Looks a bit wonky but works. Lately though I've been using the big butt grip as I've found I don't even notice the ribs very much anyway.

I use the tape included as it's always worked so well. Never bothered with the hairspray method. I've also never had a reason to take a grip off, so there's that.

Where are you seeing the pro grip? I'd be curious to take a look. 

5 hours ago, A2rhino said:

just a suggestion, try the sand grip. its thin, great feel and has a small butt end.

I second this.  I've tried them all at one time or another, but the sand grip is my favorite and on every stick I own.  

I've been using the wrapped texture for ages, have one on each of my sticks and loads of broken sticks with them still on.

its very thin an feels just like tape to me.

4 hours ago, Pocketmonster18 said:

I second this.  I've tried them all at one time or another, but the sand grip is my favorite and on every stick I own.  

I like the sand too. Also maybe check out the Russian Grip. Different comapny. He is on eBay and amazon. They are more of a rubber grip so it feels different the TAcki macs, IMO. The only caveat is they cost roughly 20$ after shipping. The sand is 7$ ish. 

Another method I've seen used/used myself is use tape-twirl to create the ribbing down your butt end, and then use 1.25 inch heatshrink tubing over it all.

I like the butt end of the Command Ribbed (the "Top Seller" one on IW) but not the overall thickness of the grip. 
My solution was to use the Patrick Kane grip and make my own butt end out of tape. I roll a couple layers of tape over the Tacki-Mac butt end, enough so the butt end is as thick as the Command Ribbed one. I hold them side by side to double check. I then roll a layer or two of grip tape over top so it doesn't eat up my gloves. When the grip tape is eaten up, I just do another layer, the stick tape underneath remains.

It's time consuming but I feel it gets the best of both worlds. You get a good sized butt end but the Tacki-Mac is so thin you feel everything. I feel that if Tacki-Mac just made the Kane grip with a bigger knob it would be the most popular. 

On 7/22/2016 at 3:39 AM, GQRDY said:

I've been using the wrapped texture for ages, have one on each of my sticks and loads of broken sticks with them still on.

its very thin an feels just like tape to me.

Just FYI there are two types of "wrapped" grips.
Command Ribbed Wrapped- thick 

Command Wrapped Texture- Thin

I hate the first one. 

Howdy,

I ended up cutting off all but 1/8" of the knob on the end, then reinstalling (I used hairspray).  It was significantly better that way, for me.

For my next one, I'll do a Pro (Kane) wrapped grip, but for now, I'm happy enough with this.  Its still a little thicker than tape, but its less annoying without the big knob.

Mark

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:05 PM, Bbd94 said:

Just FYI there are two types of "wrapped" grips.
Command Ribbed Wrapped- thick 

Command Wrapped Texture- Thin

I hate the first one. 

its the think one  I use, tried the thick one too hated it.