Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Quality control issues at Graf Canada go back over ten years in both hockey and figure skate manufacturing in Calgary.  it was hard for Graf Canada in Calgary to find a dedicated workforce when the Canadian oil industry in Alberta was booming. It was easier to make 3 times as much income in oil related production as it was in sewing/cutting skate products. Employee turnover rates in a hand crafted labor intensive industry were high. So while it is so easy to scorn the Chinese workforce for Bauer/CCM skate production, the QC was there at the end of the day against North American standards. Add in the high RD & D of Bauer in mid 2000s with Supreme/Vapor success and the deck was stacked against Graf Canada.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, DEATHTRON said:

Guess this means we wont be seeing the PK7700 Skate?

Zach

Yeah, too bad as I was looking forward to checking them out.

1 hour ago, AIREAYE said:

I guess that turnaround consultant they hired a couple years ago didn't end up working out.

My old sales mgr from Mission Itech left around that time ( Super Good Guy ).  Some of my accounts had said they did not like the new sales mgr at all.  

From all this there will be regrowth;  however,  I believe the industry in general is headed for a pretty significant correction before all that can happen.

8 hours ago, A2rhino said:

I had hoped that Warrior would have acquired them. For some reason I saw the Warrior W in the place of the flying G.

I have a feeling that in the near future we will only have Bauer / CCM, Warrior is slowly dying here, besides some peeps that still buy a stick here and there. Please do not quote me on this, I might completely wrong, its just an local observation that leads me to believe its the same elsewhere.  

5 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I have a feeling that in the near future we will only have Bauer / CCM, Warrior is slowly dying here, besides some peeps that still buy a stick here and there. Please do not quote me on this, I might completely wrong, its just an local observation that leads me to believe its the same elsewhere.  

Already happening over here. My LHS has a double sided display for Warrior sticks and they barely sold any of them over two years (2 or 3 left out of about 18 sticks). The display mainly sits partially empty. Apparently, not big sellers. They also didn't even bother ordering anything Easton in 2015--after the V9/V9E/V9T was replaced by CX, they liquidated most their Easton inventory. All you see in there are Bauer and CCM Sr/Int/Jr sticks with some Sherwood wood twigs and leftover low end Easton HTXs that didn't sell.

7 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Warrior's closeouts are killing their new products.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, A2rhino said:

I had hoped that Warrior would have acquired them. For some reason I saw the Warrior W in the place of the flying G.

It was on the table.  Warrior didn't want them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mickz said:

Warrior's closeouts are killing their new products.

Well there is the industry in ten words or less.

• Like 8

I inquired about their PeakSpeed Skates Friday afternoon at Graf headquarters and got a reply to expect them in a couple of weeks.  Where does that product get sold now?

It is a shame. As a Graf user I have always had positive experiences with Graf skates (currently in G9035)I also like to support the smaller independent guys Base, True, Eagle, tackla, etc as they offered something different to the table.  I know economics play a large part but it was nice to have the options out there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

Well there is the industry in ten words or less.

Growth Incentive Sales Programs.

7 hours ago, Zac911 said:

Growth Incentive Sales Programs.

Their "Growth." Your "Incentive." No "Sales." Not a "Program."

The Spider and the Fly

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly,
 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
  The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
   And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.”

“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “to ask me is in vain,
 For who goes up your winding stair
     -can ne'er come down again.

“I'm sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high;
 Will you rest upon my little bed?” said the Spider to the Fly.
“There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin,
 And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in!”

“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly,  “for I've often heard it said,
 They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed!

Said the cunning Spider to the Fly,  “Dear friend what can I do,
 To prove the warm affection I 've always felt for you?
  I have within my pantry, good store of all that's nice;
   I'm sure you're very welcome — will you please to take a slice?”

“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly,  “kind Sir, that cannot be,
 I've heard what's in your pantry, and I do not wish to see!”

“Sweet creature!” said the Spider,  “you're witty and you're wise,
 How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!
  I've a little looking-glass upon my parlour shelf,
   If you'll step in one moment, dear, you shall behold yourself.”

“I thank you, gentle sir,” she said,  “for what you 're pleased to say,
 And bidding you good morning now, I'll call another day.”

The Spider turned him round about, and went into his den,
For well he knew the silly Fly would soon come back again:
So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
And set his table ready, to dine upon the Fly.

Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did sing,
“Come hither, hither, pretty Fly, with the pearl and silver wing;
 Your robes are green and purple — there's a crest upon your head;
  Your eyes are like the diamond bright, but mine are dull as lead!”

Alas, alas! how very soon this silly little Fly,
Hearing his wily, flattering words, came slowly flitting by;
With buzzing wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,
Thinking only of her brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue —
Thinking only of her crested head — poor foolish thing!
     At last,
Up jumped the cunning Spider, and fiercely held her fast.
He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlour — but she ne'er came out again!

And now dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.

~By Mary Howitt, 1829

• Like 2

On 5/1/2016 at 6:16 PM, Sid said:

It is a shame. As a Graf user I have always had positive experiences with Graf skates (currently in G9035)I also like to support the smaller independent guys Base, True, Eagle, tackla, etc as they offered something different to the table.  I know economics play a large part but it was nice to have the options out there.

I am the same way, I have a True stick, eagle gloves, graf skates. I like those guys who really try to specialize in mainly one thing, I feel they do a lot better job. I am going to be sad if more of these companies leave and I am left just taking whatever Bauer/CCM deigns to give me.

Funny, when I was at Winterfest I said something to the Warrior rep about purchasing Graf. Anyway, can't say I am surprised, reasons already listed.

On 5/1/2016 at 8:39 PM, mc88 said:

Already happening over here. My LHS has a double sided display for Warrior sticks and they barely sold any of them over two years (2 or 3 left out of about 18 sticks). The display mainly sits partially empty. Apparently, not big sellers. They also didn't even bother ordering anything Easton in 2015--after the V9/V9E/V9T was replaced by CX, they liquidated most their Easton inventory. All you see in there are Bauer and CCM Sr/Int/Jr sticks with some Sherwood wood twigs and leftover low end Easton HTXs that didn't sell.

Hey this sounds familiar. Warrior definitely hasn't sold as well as it has in the past with the new Dynasty sticks, Covert sold pretty good though (I think colorway has a lot to do with it). 

Unfortunately, give it a couple of years and you'll see primarily Bauer & CCM at a LHS, then 10-20% of the inventory a mix between True, Warrior, STX, Sher-wood, etc. The 10-20% may be generous though, I know a couple of stores who are doing quite well for themselves right now and they literally only carry Bauer & CCM. The only things they carry that aren't from those two companies are Sher-wood sticks & some Howie's Hockey Tape, maybe some random apparel company, but for the most part, 95% of the store is Bauer or CCM. 

Of course, True will only have about 5% of a store right now. They are just starting to expand beyond sticks. That said, the sticks have taken off well in this area. Several teammates now sport some version of a True stick (it didn't hurt that I was a LTR tester and they got an introduction to the brand in the room and were impressed enough to give them a go).

• Like 1

Pretty crazy that they're going BK due to less then US$3M in debt, especially after apparently getting a CDN$2M cash infusion from Graf AG in May of last year.  I know the FX rate has tanked, but wow. They must've burned through that cash instead of using it to pay down BMO. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2016 at 8:37 PM, shooter27 said:

Pretty crazy that they're going BK due to less then US$3M in debt, especially after apparently getting a CDN$2M cash infusion from Graf AG in May of last year.  I know the FX rate has tanked, but wow. They must've burned through that cash instead of using it to pay down BMO. 

The receivership documents are interesting, so many small amounts. I don't think Ms. Lee is getting her $52.50 back...