Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rubo

List of Cleared Equipment by NHL

Can anyone (with proper connections) get their hands on the List of Cleared Equipment Prototypes for use in the National Hockey League, and post it here somehow.

On this page if you go to the bottom of the page in neon green square right below the players skates there is a line that says:

"List of Cleared Equipment Prototypes for use in the National Hockey League" For some reason that list is not published anywhere.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjU7ZKG857OAhUs1oMKHS0tB2AQFggbMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.nhl.com%2Fmedia%2Fapp%3FdocKey%3DVa4V3SZNDM-wnf_mNdCHDfmgXQdwiB8UDWq_CwF5jEncuo2IfEa7rNMgPiyQmMoW%26service%3Dfileservice&usg=AFQjCNFK3YfYnpFdcrBxkqEF4UToVkX_PQ&sig2=7M6ncTPsNXjYCRnqwsH4CA

The only page I found about equipment is the USA hockey one, but it's very general info:

http://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084405-rule-307-equipment-measurement

If we look at Golf, they have a full webpage dedicated to equipment and more importantly how they measure the equipment:

http://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Equipment/Equipment-Submissions/Test-Protocols

We have few product mangers on this site, do they have documentation that they can publish here as far as guidelines and measuring standards they receive from NHL? Or is it just one big loop hole where you give it to the Equipment Manager of an NHL team and it bypass all the laws and eventually becomes the norm (take out the 60k per product category logo argument out of the equation). I can't find any info where composite sticks had to be approved (possible loop hole), yet aluminum sticks were in fact approved by NHL.

Cheers

No I mean permanent, testing it is one thing, using it during an actual game when points are on the line is another thing. One issue I see is revisions, if you're constantly make revisions to a skate or a stick..., it would overwhelm the NHL in testing each revision unless there are strict guidelines like in Golf.

Not sure I understand the question to be honest. All equipment has to be approved by Kirs King and or the Goalie guy sorry forgot his name. There is no testing per say they either say yup you can use it or nope you cant. 

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Not sure I understand the question to be honest. All equipment has to be approved by Kirs King and or the Goalie guy sorry forgot his name. There is no testing per say they either say yup you can use it or nope you cant. 

Kay Whitmore

So when they approve it, is it in written form, for example you're a new company thinking of investing 20 million in a new technology, you want to make sure not to waste your money and time, so you sent in a prototype, is there a written approval document that NHL gives out?

I believe yes that is how it works. So Kay had to see the VH one piece goal skate. once it was approved they started building and distributing to NHL goalies.

I would assume anything else similar.

Well with Goalies it's more sensitive issue, what about players, new smaller companies that are shoving their sticks to the pros via EQM all the time, do they actually all sent it their sticks first to NHL?

If you wanted to start your own "Rubo Stick" company, I'm pretty sure you dont have to send anything to the NHL as long as your stick has no branding. If you're good friends with Player X and he likes your product, the equipment manager can put in the order. Unless it has changed, it costs $150k to have your logo on your piece of equipment per piece of gear in the NHL. 

I.E Warrior had logoless G2's in the NHL and the AHL 2 season ago, VH never had logos when Byfuglien started using their skates. Scott Van Horne even says he called up the equipment manager to see if Byfuglien can try his skates, he checked it and here we are 2.5 years later.