Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albert1754

No-Icing sharpening

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or if it has been answered previously.

I just bought a new pair of Bauer 1N with LS4 steel and was wondering what people's experience with No-Icing Sports sharpening has been. How much total are you paying for sharpening and mailing the blades back and forth? How long does it normally take including shipping? Any issues?

Extremely happy with service from them. Shipping, I use a flat rate envelope, and I get my blades back usually within 5-7 business days of when I sent them. Highly recommend if you don't have a competent LHS. 

I was using them because the local sharpening was garbage and I wanted FBV. $5 for the flat rate shipping, plus however much the sharpening was, plus return shipping. 

I bought a second set of steel and just kept swapping them so they'd both have even wear. I basically always had a set in transit.

They did a pretty good job, but $20 for a sharpening (including shipping both ways) started adding up. That's one of the main reasons I got the Sparx.

I did once have a mixup regarding a set of runners that were stamped with the wrong size (WTF) that they wouldn't take care of me on, but otherwise the service was always great.

I would definitely recommend no-icing though as far as quality. 

I've been using No Icing for about 2 yrs now. Turnaround time is ALWAYS within 5-6 days and 95% of the time the sharpening is consistent and quality work. I always get FBV and have had them profiled 4 sets of steel so far. I also have 2 sets of steel and I ship out a set every 3 weeks.

Pricing:

FBV: $7.50

Shipping to No-Icing: $6.50 Flat Rate via USPS

Shipping from No-Icing: $6.50 Flat Rate via USPS

So yes, at the end of the day, it's not cheap for sharpening...

I'm almost always happy with No-Icing's work and have been a very loyal customer. They know what they're doing and I'd recommend them to anyone.

But I have to be honest, I did once write them an email, stating that some of my recent sharpening didn't 'feel' as sharp (by my feel/touch and by the way I was skating) and I just thought they would perhaps take care of me for being such a long time steady customer, and make sure things are consistent. I got a reply basically saying that it was me, not them...  and sort of made me feel that I didn't know what I was saying. That was a little disappointing, but maybe I was expecting too much customer service. I tell ya, customer service goes a loooooooong way and sometimes, even when the customers are wrong, you should still make them feel like they're right... Just ONE courtesy complimentary sharpening would've made me feel so satisfied! Just ONE free sharp out of the hundreds of dollars I've given them! Oh well...

After that little issue, I started trying other places and recently a local rink I started to go to do Blademaster and I tried it the other day and it was basically the same as FBV and the cost was $10, so I may slow down on sending steel to No-Icing.

A great place to have your blades done up... especially if you're interested in a custom radius.  Bob is very knowledgeable, the service is precise and fast, shipping is fast and easy.

May I recommend a second set of blades to always have a fresh set.  EVERYTHING you need to know to begin this process is on the noicing website.

22 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Rumor has it that he is contemplating retirement and looking to sell the shop.

Yikes. If true, hopefully next owner does as good of a job and keeps quality high. 

Will the sale be announced if it happens? I'm going to need a sharpening soon and hoping I can get it done before anything happens.

On 8/9/2016 at 1:52 PM, chippa13 said:

Rumor has it that he is contemplating retirement and looking to sell the shop.

Rumor is wrong.  I'll be sharpening skates till I die.

2 hours ago, jimmy said:

Old sharpeners never die. They just grind away.

3 hours ago, jimmy said:

I have this picture in my head from the mighty ducks of jimmy being Hans and sharpening away in the dark for years to come.  Keep it going!

11 hours ago, jimmy said:

I'm so happy to read this. I love the sharpenings from no-icing!