Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psexton

Flutter End over end shot

I am a beginner and my pucks turn end over end when shooting. I have read the flutter shots posts and watched all the wrist shot videos (including those by How To Hockey) and I still cannot seem to make the puck fly level. My puck seems to turn end over end more than a wobble or flutter.

I have shot about 1500 shots and do not want to keep making the same mistakes.

I am sure there are hundreds of things wrong with my technique but I was hoping someone could give me a few specific things to try and correct.

Here is a video of myself showing shooting and showing the end over end of the puck as it flies toward the net. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Youtube Video

From the video it looks like you are trying to raise the puck rather than have the stick do the work for you. But I can't figure out how to put it in words on what to change... so hopefully someone here can help with that.

You're opening the toe of the blade as you release the puck.  And a lot of that is because your bottom hand is pointing upwards.  So as you bring it through the shot, the blade opens up a lot.  That is making the puck contact the bottom of the blade, which gets the blade under the puck at the end and essentially flips it.  Further compounding this is how you lean backwards onto your back foot as you shoot, instead of transferring your weight onto your front foot.  It's a little hard to tell, but I also think the stick is too turned in your hand.  How much you are bending and twisting your elbow on the top hand indicates this.  So if you were in your normal stance, your blade would be open.

To shoot, you have to keep the blade face closed even when going high. Put your weight on your front foot. and over turn your wrists a little so your palm is facing towards the ice.  If you grab the stick naturally and put it down, the blade should be at least neutral, if not closed slightly.  And when you shoot, keep the face closed, don't roll your wrists back and open the blade.  The blade face should be facing the ice, with the bottom corner of the toe pointing at the target.  Start with trying to shoot hard pucks just off the ice, don't worry about going for corners.  Once you can do that well, you can work on elevating the puck by lifting your bottom hand as you follow through, not opening the face.  The puck will go where the blade points at the end, so you want to finish with your hands and bottom of the toe pointed at your target.

Pretty much agree with everything above. The only thing I would add is follow through so the toe of your stick is pointing were you want the puck to go. In the video it looks like you are stopping the shot half way through. It also looks like you're sweeping the puck which doesn't let the stick load. The stick is a lever, your bottom hand is the fulcrum. When you take the shot snap your top and back while pushing the bottom hand forward (and doing everything else at the same time). Remember that you generate power from the ground up so good foot placement and weight transfer is important.

To summarize:

- You're using your wrists instead of the flex of the stick

- You're shooting too far in front of your body, so that your blade stays open almost the entire time, which allows the puck to prematurely roll off of the bottom of the toe

- You're leaning backwards/sitting back instead of placing the weight over your bottom hand and then transferring that weight from the back leg to the front leg

- You're not following through with the toe of the blade

Using the flex of the shaft to generate speed:

A detailed step by step breakdown of a wrist shot:

Great answers here!!  I am new too,  so this helps me understand the shot.   only thing I would add is I am jumping into the local ADULT CLASS so the instructor can see my NOOB issues and correct them in real time... Costs like $20 a week and an hour of my time... Money well spent

In the video it looks like you are trying to scoop the puck from underneath.  You don't want to be scooping it, you want to put spin on the puck to keep it flat.  With the puck laid flat, practice spinning it on your forehand from heel to toe.  Once you are comfortable doing this, follow through with a sweeping motion and point the end of your blade to where you want the puck to go.  (ex. follow through high to make the puck go higher, and low for a low shot.) 

You can start introducing other skills like loading up your shot, weight transfer, etc afterwards.

You need to roll your wrists forward, think of it like using the blade to cover the puck with the blade as its released. A couple guys already mentioned that you arent transfering your weight, and that the puck is too far away from you. 

Also, try to roll the puck from heel to toe, so that you create a spin on the puck. 

Dont worry so much about power of the shot, focus on the mechanics behind it first. Strength and accuracy will start to improve once you get the shooting technique corrected.

19 hours ago, psulion22 said:

You're opening the toe of the blade as you release the puck.  And a lot of that is because your bottom hand is pointing upwards.  So as you bring it through the shot, the blade opens up a lot.  That is making the puck contact the bottom of the blade, which gets the blade under the puck at the end and essentially flips it.  Further compounding this is how you lean backwards onto your back foot as you shoot, instead of transferring your weight onto your front foot.  It's a little hard to tell, but I also think the stick is too turned in your hand.  How much you are bending and twisting your elbow on the top hand indicates this.  So if you were in your normal stance, your blade would be open.

To shoot, you have to keep the blade face closed even when going high. Put your weight on your front foot. and over turn your wrists a little so your palm is facing towards the ice.  If you grab the stick naturally and put it down, the blade should be at least neutral, if not closed slightly.  And when you shoot, keep the face closed, don't roll your wrists back and open the blade.  The blade face should be facing the ice, with the bottom corner of the toe pointing at the target.  Start with trying to shoot hard pucks just off the ice, don't worry about going for corners.  Once you can do that well, you can work on elevating the puck by lifting your bottom hand as you follow through, not opening the face.  The puck will go where the blade points at the end, so you want to finish with your hands and bottom of the toe pointed at your target.

I've been having a problem similar to OP. If the puck is going off the open toe, would it make a clicking sound? When I shoot, it hits the blade twice.

One thing that I don't believe has been said yet: your hips are too open at the beginning of the shot, facing the target. For a pure wrist shot, you want to start the shot with your hips facing perpendicular to your target. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUu28w04Gw. In his setup, focus on the direction his body is facing. This will help with shifting your weight and following through to the target.

4 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I've been having a problem similar to OP. If the puck is going off the open toe, would it make a clicking sound? When I shoot, it hits the blade twice.

I'm not really sure what you mean here.  Where is it hitting the blade each time?  When are you hearing the clicking sound?  Can you get a video?

Without any more info, it would seem like the clicking noise is the puck hitting the blade the second time.

On 8/16/2016 at 7:19 AM, psexton said:

I am a beginner and my pucks turn end over end when shooting. I have read the flutter shots posts and watched all the wrist shot videos (including those by How To Hockey) and I still cannot seem to make the puck fly level. My puck seems to turn end over end more than a wobble or flutter.

I have shot about 1500 shots and do not want to keep making the same mistakes.

I am sure there are hundreds of things wrong with my technique but I was hoping someone could give me a few specific things to try and correct.

Here is a video of myself showing shooting and showing the end over end of the puck as it flies toward the net. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Youtube Video

It looks like a lot of it was already covered, but I'll chime in anyway. There are a ton of different ways to shoot and none is better or worse than another, despite what some may say. it's nice to be able to change your motion when the situation warrants. My comments describe how I shoot, your preference may very well differ. I also use the same heel to toe motion for passing, wrist shots and slap shots. It makes everything a lot easier for me. 

I start the puck much farther back, behind my rear foot or hip depending on the direction that I'm facing. The face of the blade is leaning forward, almost covering the puck. As I come forward, I am also pressing down with my bottom hand to force the stick to load (flex). I continue pushing down until the blade has come off the ice in front of me. The follow through should be "down the line" towards the target. The height of the follow through and ending position of the blade will vary with what you are trying to do. Ideally, weight will transfer to the front foot but you can get by with 50-50 balance. If my weight is transferring to the back foot or I'm falling away from the target, it's next to impossible to shoot hard or accurately. 

The focus should be on applying power and leverage to the puck while it is on your blade. The longer it is on your blade, the easier it is to control and apply power to it.

11 hours ago, Chadd said:

It looks like a lot of it was already covered, but I'll chime in anyway. There are a ton of different ways to shoot and none is better or worse than another, despite what some may say. it's nice to be able to change your motion when the situation warrants. My comments describe how I shoot, your preference may very well differ. I also use the same heel to toe motion for passing, wrist shots and slap shots. It makes everything a lot easier for me. 

I start the puck much farther back, behind my rear foot or hip depending on the direction that I'm facing. The face of the blade is leaning forward, almost covering the puck. As I come forward, I am also pressing down with my bottom hand to force the stick to load (flex). I continue pushing down until the blade has come off the ice in front of me. The follow through should be "down the line" towards the target. The height of the follow through and ending position of the blade will vary with what you are trying to do. Ideally, weight will transfer to the front foot but you can get by with 50-50 balance. If my weight is transferring to the back foot or I'm falling away from the target, it's next to impossible to shoot hard or accurately. 

The focus should be on applying power and leverage to the puck while it is on your blade. The longer it is on your blade, the easier it is to control and apply power to it.

I'll add that Chadd is correct here.  Hockey skills are often optimized more by someone's individual mechanics than universal technique.  For example, I'm the complete opposide of him.  I shoot and pass almost everything near my front foot, with my hands far in front of me, with the weight on my front foot, and usually off what is considered the wrong foot.  I'm sure there are trade offs with each technique.  I don't feel that either can be called "correct"

So if you take the commonalities between my shot and Chadd's, you can learn what must be done to shoot correctly, and by that I mean on target, with relative power and accuracy, without scooping or fluttering.  I think the most important is going to be blade and hand position.  To shoot the puck, you have to have the blade closed (with very few exceptions).  Chadd achieves this by bringing the puck further back in his stance.  I do it by bringing my hands further out in front of my body.  Others will be somewhere in between.  But the common fundamental here is the closed face.  Then the next thing that should happen, regardless of technique used, is that the follow through on the shot shot go towards where you want the puck to go, with the blade toe facing the target.  The puck will go where the stick goes.  And finally, your weight needs to end somewhere on the front side of center in your stance.  That goes along with the first two.  If your weight is on your back foot or you are leaning backwards, it is going to be difficult to keep the blade closed and follow through to your target.

On 17/08/2016 at 0:23 PM, fatwabbit said:

Dont worry so much about power of the shot, focus on the mechanics behind it first. Strength and accuracy will start to improve once you get the shooting technique corrected.

I am trying to show some newer guys who play in my team about shooting and how to use the sticks flex to do the bulk of the work.

I cannot emphasize this enough with them aswell - Dont worry so much if the puck is on target when your practicing - at this stage its about getting the technique down pat.. Once the technique is solid and becomes more natural - then you start to tweak it for accuracy (ie shooting to corners of net).

Here is a good video showing how to load up your shot. This is more focused on power but the technique is correct to keep a good flow from the beginning to the end of your shot.

They go a little overboard with the driving the stick into the ice part. It's absolutely part of my shooting motion, but they emphasize it a little too much. It would be easy to break sticks if you follow exactly what they say. 

On 8/16/2016 at 6:56 AM, Hills said:

From the video it looks like you are trying to raise the puck rather than have the stick do the work for you. But I can't figure out how to put it in words on what to change... so hopefully someone here can help with that.

You are on track.  I watch alot of guys hold the stick wrong with their bottom hand and they are trying to use their bottom had to scoop the puck off the ice.  The bottom hand should be more behind the shaft as a fulcrum point.

All this advice is great from a player perspective, I'll chime in with a bit of goalie POV.
  I just faced a guy this morning that had a shot like this, and it was insanely hard to know where the puck was going.  Not only was it flipping end for end, which made it hard to catch or direct off the blocker, but it would drop like a sinking fastball due to the flipping.  He almost put it in on me 3 times, and it was deflected at least 2 more just because it flew in such a weird manner.

So while I'm sure you still want to figure out a better shot, it's not always bad to fire one like this!