Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aviery

The Modern Jersey. Time to Get Real!

I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

Enough with the tapered slim fit jersey cut! I might get shot down from a lot of you that disagree.

Im my honest opinion, they look ridiculous, the sleeves are a joke & they hinder movement and mobility. Why are jersey cuts moving in this direction?

We're hockey players with multiple layers of protection, give us room to move freely.

I used to be the chairman of my local Reebok Edge Hater's Committee, but about two months ago, I decided to roll the dice on the Edge socks and jerseys and I haven't looked back. They don't hinder my mobility even in the slightest, granted, I'm a scrawny little punk.

If I were pressed to find faults, I don't understand/care for the rounded hems at the bottom of the jersey (which make teams like the Detroit Red Wings look like they're wearing diapers), and I'd dearly love to meet the imbecile who decided not to put Velcro tabs on the backs of the retail socks, forcing me to sew patches on there myself.

The reason why Reebok EDGE socks don't have Velcro in the back is because it was a part of the "uniform system" which included 9k pants. The 9k has a hook patch that goes onto the loop patch on the socks, in the front. It's high enough that it doesn't sag. 

It wasn't meant to hook onto the jock, where the patch is much lower. 

3 hours ago, aviery said:

I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

Enough with the tapered slim fit jersey cut! I might get shot down from a lot of you that disagree.

Im my honest opinion, they look ridiculous, the sleeves are a joke & they hinder movement and mobility. Why are jersey cuts moving in this direction?

We're hockey players with multiple layers of protection, give us room to move freely.

As a bigger guy I couldn't agree more.  I'm not really heavy any more but I have really broad shoulders.  The Edge jerseys just plain do not fit.

As a stockier (5' 8"), barrel chested and beer bellied guy, I too have a hard time with Edge jerseys.  To get a comfortable fit around my mid-section I have to go to XXL in the retail jersey or size 56 in a pro jersey.  Then I find the jersey hangs quite low in the front and back to the point I want to hem  the jersey.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

The reason why Reebok EDGE socks don't have Velcro in the back is because it was a part of the "uniform system" which included 9k pants. The 9k has a hook patch that goes onto the loop patch on the socks, in the front. It's high enough that it doesn't sag. 

It wasn't meant to hook onto the jock, where the patch is much lower. 

Huh.  Didn't know that.

Certainly makes my mind race with a litany of questions, though.  Retail or pro 9K pants?  Is there a modern-day retail equivalent that works with the EDGE socks?  And if there isn't, why on Earth would they continue to make the socks the same way?  Are they just stubborn?  Doesn't that sound stupid to anyone else?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Honestly I never had an issue with getting my socks to stick to the Velcro on my jock shorts; and that's both the front and the back (since the socks are too long for the Velcro on them to line up with the velcro on the jock shirts anyway). 

11 hours ago, Burning Bear said:

Huh.  Didn't know that.

Certainly makes my mind race with a litany of questions, though.  Retail or pro 9K pants?  Is there a modern-day retail equivalent that works with the EDGE socks?  And if there isn't, why on Earth would they continue to make the socks the same way?  Are they just stubborn?  Doesn't that sound stupid to anyone else?  Bueller?  Bueller?

The feature was on all 9k pants, retail and pro.

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/reebok-9k-pro-senior-girdle.html

Maybe I am missing something here but every pair of Edge socks I have ever owned has come with velcro tabs.

FWIW, I could never go back to knit socks after wearing Edge style socks, no way. The jerseys...meh, their are plenty of alternatives. It's no like I actually need to wear them and if I did I'd probably just go up a size.

17 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Professional athletes and professional beer leaguers are two very different shapes. It's been around for 10+ years, there must be something to it

don't put us all in the same category ;)

Im not built like a "beer leaguer" 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Maybe I am missing something here but every pair of Edge socks I have ever owned has come with velcro tabs.

FWIW, I could never go back to knit socks after wearing Edge style socks, no way. The jerseys...meh, their are plenty of alternatives. It's no like I actually need to wear them and if I did I'd probably just go up a size.

They mean a tab on the rear of the sock. 

I could never go back to knit socks and square cut jerseys, much like I'd never go back to playing in a baggy cotton T shirt and yellow itech jock shorts. 

41 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

I could never go back to knit socks and square cut jerseys, much like I'd never go back to playing in a baggy cotton T shirt and yellow itech jock shorts. 

I still see people wearing cotton t-shirts and just cringe. 

Howdy,

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I still see people wearing cotton t-shirts and just cringe. 

What's wrong with cotton t-shirts?

Mark

I hate the Edge 1.0 jerseys, but for the materials used and not the cut itself. I think the Edge was a great change for hockey jerseys, except for the duck tail. The cut, fit and materials now used are awesome to wear.

I also think the Nike Swift jerseys are some of the best jersey cuts there are as they are more streamlined and allow for some awesome designs like the one below. They also removed their duck tail from there jerseys in 2014, I hope Adidas follows suit in the future so jerseys like the Penguins don't look like they have a massive tail.

oHkihLr.jpg

Penguins-New-Third-Jersey-2014-15-590x36

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

How come they did that at the pro level, since the pro stock socks don't have the velcro? Or did they have it originally?

Because those guys wear garter belts, and they weren't going to all wear 9k pants. 

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

If I remember correctly, that's what a lot of pros did initially, which sort of defeated the purpose.

55 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

What's wrong with cotton t-shirts?

Mark

Cotton T-shirts are OK for wearing around casually, but they're terrible for wearing under gear for a sweaty sport like hockey. They don't wick away the sweat and they get heavy when they're soaked with sweat and take forever to dry once they do get wet. I used to use them decades ago, but definitely don't miss them. Once you use quality performance wear under your equipment you definitely won't want to go back to cotton.

just finished up an order for my team. all with slim fitting edge style jerseys because we all wanted something with a good fit using high quality materials. 

nothing worse than a baggy tent of a jersey 

33 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Cotton T-shirts are OK for wearing around casually, but they're terrible for wearing under gear for a sweaty sport like hockey. They don't wick away the sweat and they get heavy when they're soaked with sweat and take forever to dry once they do get wet. I used to use them decades ago, but definitely don't miss them. Once you use quality performance wear under your equipment you definitely won't want to go back to cotton.

Exactly this. Not a good fabric for wearing under hockey pads.