Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HawkeyeGeoff

Built Like Doug Martin...Let's Talk about Hockey Pants

Here's the deal: I'm short (5'5") and wide (36 waist because of my large rear).  Really I cannot fit into "small" size pants which is the correct length for me.

I currently have the some eagle mediums that I bought on sale when I first started playing hockey.  I wear suspenders to keep them all the way up but it still impedes my shin guards a bit.  I feel like I can pick up some maneuverability with correctly sized pants.

I've thrown around the following ideas:

- Sew up the pants somehow

- Switch to a girdle and mutilate a shell to make it fit properly

- Find some pants that actually can be custom fit to my body (within price reason of course)

I've seen this topic come up before but the solutions were not that great.  Any ideas / opinions on a girdle working better or any certain manufacturor that makes -2"+ pants?  

I've looked around every normal site (Hockeymonkey, totalhockey, etc) and I can't seem to find them with the custom cuts.  Maybe just call montrealhockey?  Or maybe someone like Peranis can just order stuff for me?

Either of those will work. You can call Montrealhockey to get a list of dealers in your area- anyone who carries them can order the +/- inseams. 

I've been using RYR custom pants by the same reason. Big hip volume but short for my body.
But you should determine that they are so lazy.

Also I've not heard Tackla can do such custom. If true, also this is great information for me. I'll contact with my local distributor.

I'm no expert but I'd say at least go to a store and try out a girdle.  The way Bauer makes them now the whole thing opens up and you have quite a bit of adjustability at the waist and the legs so you might be able to get a nice fit.  As far as the shells, they come in all shapes and sizes, some baggier, some narrower, etc, so you might find a fit you really like, the waists on the shells usually have either a belt or velcro (or a combination of the two) so you can really get a nice fit and the bottom leg openings are normally loose so and thin so even if they are a little low they won't impede the shinguard at all  (I'd also suggest trying a pant shell, they tend to be wider but shorter... many of the new girdle shells are made narrow which has driven me crazy).  Just thought you might want to try this route since it might be cheaper than a custom made pair of pants.

Like tuck-in or flop style of shin pads, there is a huge and feeling difference between girdle and normal pants as it would demand us making choice one from that. One of my friend recommend me girdle but I couldn't use it. It seems he has been really happy with girdle.

I recommend you that try using girdle at first. RYR is too lazy.

Tackla sells short and long versions of their pants, keep searching.

You also might want to try on a Women's pair, they are designed with wide hips in mind...

18 minutes ago, SirJW said:

You also might want to try on a Women's pair, they are designed with wide hips in mind...

Bahaha thanks for the advice man!

I think the first step will be going to check out some Girdles; if it will fit me better I'm all in.  

I'm located in Detroit so we will see what I can find at TotalHockey and Peranis.

Thanks everyone for the advice I will report back with results; it's harder to find pants than it is to find a date when you're short man!

16 hours ago, Troubadour said:

I am assuming your Chris' friend that I spoke to last weekend. Tackla pants and Girdles are gonna be your best bet, as I said then. 

Oh well no shit.    Tacklas did not fit very well.   I tried on the one effing girdle they had at Peranis (Livonia, the giant one),  they fit pretty much just as well as some Warrior pants they had that seemed to be an inch or two shorter than the rest of the medium pants out there. 

Long story: I got the Warrior pants.  2013 models so heavily discounted and fit me so whatever man.  We are alllll good.

I guess anyone in this same predicament just go try on a bunch of different brands and models, they're all cut differently even model to model in the same brand.

27 minutes ago, HawkeyeGeoff said:

Oh well no shit.    Tacklas did not fit very well.   I tried on the one effing girdle they had at Peranis (Livonia, the giant one),  they fit pretty much just as well as some Warrior pants they had that seemed to be an inch or two shorter than the rest of the medium pants out there. 

Long story: I got the Warrior pants.  2013 models so heavily discounted and fit me so whatever man.  We are alllll good.

I guess anyone in this same predicament just go try on a bunch of different brands and models, they're all cut differently even model to model in the same brand.

Makes sense. I wear Warrior medium talls. Glad to see you found something.

1 hour ago, aintitthelife98 said:

Which Warrior pant did you go with? I've been on the impossible task of finding pants or a girdle that work for me being short (5'7") and on the heavier side.  

I'll check out the actual model when I get home this evening.  I was just kind of randomly trying on pants.  This place probably had every model you could think of.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeGeoff said:

I'll check out the actual model when I get home this evening.  I was just kind of randomly trying on pants.  This place probably had every model you could think of.

If you could let me know, that'd be great.  Unfortunately I have exhausted all the local places around me.  

On 9/22/2016 at 11:35 AM, SirJW said:

Women's pair sounds like solid plan though. This is the thinking outside the box I like.