Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colins

CCM Jetspeed Eyelet issue

My 15 year old son got new Jetspeeds at the start of last season. The skates are a year old, and the eyelets are giving out. Eyelets below 1&2 (which seem to be round brass or copper eyelets) are a boxed shape on the inside, and they are getting crushed and deformed. Particular eyelets 3/4/5 which take the bulk of the strain.

This week, eyelet #4 pulled right out, and the lace tore through the skate. I've got it at a shoe/leather repair shop now. My expectation was $700 skates should get through a season without this type of breakdown. My younger son had a pair of CCM Tacks, we haven't encountered the same issue with those.

It seems like a poor design for durability. For the minimal weight savings or cost CCM should have stuck with the more durable eyelets for 3,4,5. You can see eyelet 3 is crushing as well, and eyelet 5 has started to pull away from the hole, so this problem will probably get worse throughout the season.

Here's a pic:

D59P0lY.jpg

Colin

Aw man, that's brutal. I hope the shop can fix that tear to the point where it holds up to the stress involved with lacing the skate. Maybe you can see if the LHS can pop those CCM eyelets out and replace them with something a bit more durable?

Yeah, those eyelets are really thin.  But the problem is that you actually need long-shanked eyelets for these skates - CCM's eyerows are much thicker, so "standard" eyelets end up being too short and don't press well.

I'll get some from work (had to order them when RBZ came out on the market) and take pictures.

That is pretty sad. A year ago when those basically just came out and it is most likely a first production run. I wonder is this was corrected in later runs. Jet Speeds are my favorite from CCM lineup today. I have seeing similar images of JetSpeeds and RibCors, but it could have been resulted in overtightening after baking as these skates looked pretty new.

Have you tried giving CCM a call and supply these pictures. While you may be out of warranty, maybe they can extend some offer to you. Whether that offer is a replacement or a significant discount for a new set, it's worth a try.

Rust is the number 1 cause of eyelts giving way.  I see some rust on the eyelet above so assume the rest are rusty too. Drying skates after each outing is the best prevention. Some people's ph is very acidic as well and their sweat literally eats away at the metal.

I hope this isn't a defect in this line of skate because I just bought them with expectations of them lasting quite a few years.

His feet do sweat a lot, but all the gear in my house is hung up after every session, religiously. I didn't see any rust on the eyelets that are failing. There's a stand-up fan out of view that I turn on to circulate air:

1YYn6M3.jpg

As JR noted, the metal on the Jetspeed eyelets (excluding the top two, and very bottom one) is thin. They start to deform/dent/crush from skate lace pressure, and I think the one that gave out seemed to have been dented from a shot block or collision with another skate. Once deformed, they tend to pull away from the material surrounding the eyelet.

I don't have pics of the repair yet (he's skating on them as we speak), I'll probably post some later tonight. The shoe/leather repair shop stitched up the break, put some leather backing on the inside, and replaced 4 eyelets in that area. These new eyelets are round and not 'boxed' on the inside edges, just like the top two from the factory are (but black instead of copper/brass). I don't know if they are deep shank or not - I guess they'd have to be - this particular repair place has been around forever and is very old school. I imagine they have all the tricks of the trade at their disposal.

I was concerned about the leather insert being on the inside of the boot (looks better, but looks don't count over comfort), but I trimmed the excess and shaved down the edges so that it's all above the tongue and not in contact with his foot. We'll see how it holds up.

I haven't contacted CCM yet for support. My son loves his Jetspeeds otherwise. He had RBZ 90's before that, and my youngest skated in a pair of Tacks last season, so I'm on the fence whether to give CCM another try or go back to Bauer next purchase. The Tacks held up really well, the only we had with them is the tongue splitting on the sides, up where the laces cut into it.

Colin

3 hours ago, Bakum said:

I hope this isn't a defect in this line of skate because I just bought them with expectations of them lasting quite a few years.

Perhaps, you should get the eyelets replaced as a preventative measure. Although it is quite possible that CCM caught this earlier and have adjusted it by now. Unfortunately, I am not sure if you can know if you bought 1 year old pair or something that was made 2 weeks ago.

I've seen this a lot with Rbk and CCM skates over the last 10 years or so. It's not so much rust as oxidation of the eyelet material because of the players sweat. Drying the skates out doesn't help, the sweat and all of the salt it has is still sitting there eating away at the protective covering of the eyelet and then the eyelet itself. Washing the eyelets after every skate helps but at the end of the day if you sweat a lot then getting eyelets changed out when they start to break down is just part of the process with some skates. I also know of players who have used scotchguard or similar waterproofing sprays and have had good success with the eyelets lasting. And it's not the thickness of the eyelet, it's the material used to make the eyelet. Some eyelets don't rust or are affected by sweat, Bauer and Alkali are pretty safe. This is one big advantage of Bauers injected eyelet process.

As promised, here are pics of the repair. Not overly pretty, but seems pretty effective after the first skate on them today. Hoping the repair holds up well throughout this season.

X7LWAmh.jpg

7SD2nxH.jpg

19 minutes ago, colins said:

As promised, here are pics of the repair. Not overly pretty, but seems pretty effective after the first skate on them today. Hoping the repair holds up well throughout this season.

WABVzIF.jpg

fNUUry3.jpg

That's a solid repair. Those new eyelets look much more heavy duty too. 

Here's the difference between standard and long eyelets.  On CCM top-end skates, the top two eyelets require the long ones.  Some cases I've had to put them in 3-5.

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

5 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Perhaps, you should get the eyelets replaced as a preventative measure. Although it is quite possible that CCM caught this earlier and have adjusted it by now. Unfortunately, I am not sure if you can know if you bought 1 year old pair or something that was made 2 weeks ago.

Nope, it's the price you pay for having your logo stamped into the eyelet as an aesthetic feature.

45 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Nope, it's the price you pay for having your logo stamped into the eyelet as an aesthetic feature.

Well I hope I have better luck but at least I know to keep an eye out for the wear and tear.

Sad to report that the repair didn't hold up. Three weeks later and eyelet #3 ripped right out, and more of the CCM branded eyelets are cracking up. 

Headed out tonight to try and find some leftover Bauer 190's or 180's on sale with traditional eyelets (didn't have $700 in the budget for new skates at this point in the season!). CCM has lost a skate customer over this one - I'd like to get more than 12 months out of a high end pair of skates (unless of course they were outgrown, which they weren't).

colins

4 hours ago, colins said:

Sad to report that the repair didn't hold up. Three weeks later and eyelet #3 ripped right out, and more of the CCM branded eyelets are cracking up. 

Headed out tonight to try and find some leftover Bauer 190's or 180's on sale with traditional eyelets (didn't have $700 in the budget for new skates at this point in the season!). CCM has lost a skate customer over this one - I'd like to get more than 12 months out of a high end pair of skates (unless of course they were outgrown, which they weren't).

colins

Have you tried to contact CCM? They have 90 day warranty, but they are not uncommon to take care of some issues well after the 90 day mark. If you send them anow email and explain all this, they might do something. It could be a substantial discount toward new ccm purchase or they might even replace the skates you have. One thing however, it appears that CCM has not addressed this in their current skates. Apparently, this does not happen often enough to necessitate an adjustment to the design... in CCM mind at least.

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

Have you tried to contact CCM? They have 90 day warranty, but they are not uncommon to take care of some issues well after the 90 day mark. If you send them anow email and explain all this, they might do something. It could be a substantial discount toward new ccm purchase or they might even replace the skates you have. One thing however, it appears that CCM has not addressed this in their current skates. Apparently, this does not happen often enough to necessitate an adjustment to the design... in CCM mind at least.

I opened a Warrenty claim with CCM today - will see what they say. I unlaced the skates and got some pics of all the eyelets. Several have lost material, and others are collapsing / damaged. I took pics of skate to  show that the boot and holders and even the blades are all in excellent shape after one season - it's just the eyelets that have failed.

Album here:

http://imgur.com/a/AdaRT

colins

Slight change of colour and frames and they look exactly like Rbk inlines and earlier CCM skates I have seen with this issue. CCM obviously haven't done anything to change the eyelet material as this issue has been around for years. Bottom line is your son's sweat is toxic to the material their eyelets are made from, Bauer offers you a better chance and an injected eyelet setup is your best option unless he likes CCM so much that you live with it and get the eyelets changed out whenever you buy a new pair. If you ever go the custom route make sure you tell the maker about the issue and go for high quality stainless steel eyelets.

This thread made me paranoid so I pulled out my inline jetspeeds. Obviously less moisture involved in the endeavor, so no rust. There are a lot of deformities though as well as 1/3 of one eyelet on the bottom outside of the boot bent all the way back that I never even noticed before.

Can anyone provide specific reccomendations for replacements and suggestions for where to get it done? Thanks! Don't wanna tear a hole in that boot. Haha.

6 hours ago, colins said:

I opened a Warrenty claim with CCM today - will see what they say. I unlaced the skates and got some pics of all the eyelets. Several have lost material, and others are collapsing / damaged. I took pics of skate to  show that the boot and holders and even the blades are all in excellent shape after one season - it's just the eyelets that have failed.

Album here:

http://imgur.com/a/AdaRT

colins

Send them a link to this thread.

On 9/22/2016 at 2:42 PM, colins said:

His feet do sweat a lot, but all the gear in my house is hung up after every session, religiously. I didn't see any rust on the eyelets that are failing. There's a stand-up fan out of view that I turn on to circulate air:

1YYn6M3.jpg

As JR noted, the metal on the Jetspeed eyelets (excluding the top two, and very bottom one) is thin. They start to deform/dent/crush from skate lace pressure, and I think the one that gave out seemed to have been dented from a shot block or collision with another skate. Once deformed, they tend to pull away from the material surrounding the eyelet.

I don't have pics of the repair yet (he's skating on them as we speak), I'll probably post some later tonight. The shoe/leather repair shop stitched up the break, put some leather backing on the inside, and replaced 4 eyelets in that area. These new eyelets are round and not 'boxed' on the inside edges, just like the top two from the factory are (but black instead of copper/brass). I don't know if they are deep shank or not - I guess they'd have to be - this particular repair place has been around forever and is very old school. I imagine they have all the tricks of the trade at their disposal.

I was concerned about the leather insert being on the inside of the boot (looks better, but looks don't count over comfort), but I trimmed the excess and shaved down the edges so that it's all above the tongue and not in contact with his foot. We'll see how it holds up.

I haven't contacted CCM yet for support. My son loves his Jetspeeds otherwise. He had RBZ 90's before that, and my youngest skated in a pair of Tacks last season, so I'm on the fence whether to give CCM another try or go back to Bauer next purchase. The Tacks held up really well, the only we had with them is the tongue splitting on the sides, up where the laces cut into it.

Colin

CCM's rivets are similar to those on other skates, I replace rivets every day on every brand of skate.  There are many causes they fail from being heat molded and tied wrong when purchasing to tying too tight, to rust and corrosion. I like your drying set up but for skates, you must blow air into the inside. Suggest getting a boot dryer like a Dry Guy.  I had my old 9k skates for 9 yrs and never replaced an eyelet, yet saw many with the same skate and eyelets come thru monthly for new ones. Dry Guy or similar will do wonders, drying the liner from the inside is critical too.

11 minutes ago, jimmy said:

CCM's rivets are similar to those on other skates, I replace rivets every day on every brand of skate.  There are many causes they fail from being heat molded and tied wrong when purchasing to tying too tight, to rust and corrosion. I like your drying set up but for skates, you must blow air into the inside. Suggest getting a boot dryer like a Dry Guy.  I had my old 9k skates for 9 yrs and never replaced an eyelet, yet saw many with the same skate and eyelets come thru monthly for new ones. Dry Guy or similar will do wonders, drying the liner from the inside is critical too.

I do have a portable boot dryer with a built in timer - I may try setting that up near the skate rack for quicker drying times.

That said, I recall being 16 many moons ago and playing lots of hockey (indoors and outdoors), and I remember getting 5+ years out of a pair of Daoust 501's without any trouble with the traditional convex style eyelets failing. There's something about the current CCM eyelets that is a step backwards durability wise, from my own experiences with myself and two teens having gone through dozens of Bauer and CCM skates over the past 15 years.

These particular Jetspeeds were bought and heat molded at Sportscraft Source for Sports locally. Sportscraft have been in business 50+ years (family run, very experienced guys) and the skates were just tied snug (pulling 'out' not 'up') and not overtightened. 

I realize today's top end skates are not bullet proof - but if you look at the images in the album the condition of these skates overall are excellent. But the condition of the eyelets are terrible.

The theory that CCM eyelets + sweat are a bad combination is the most reasonable I've heard yet. My son's feet and hands do sweat more than average (hyperhidrosis level) and this seems to be a likely cause of the premature failure of his Jetspeed eyelets. He hasn't run into this problem in past skates - his previous RBZ 90's, Bauer Nexus and Vapor XXX had eyelets that held up until they were outgrown (typically 1.5 - 2 seasons).

colins

The question I have is how hard is the kid pulling on his laces when tying his skates? Also, is he pulling thru the eyelets or is he pulling up from the boot and stressing the eyelet area?