Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

haider16

Russian Grip vs Tacki Mac

Hey everyone, I'm buying a grip for one of my hockey sticks. I got a Buttendz for one of them already, and i'm not willing to blow that much money on another one. I'm considering the Tacki-Mac sand grip as I've heard it's pretty thin and provides decent grip. However, I'm also considering a textile Russian Grip. What it ultimately come down to for me is the thickness because I don't want a dead puck feel. Anyone have pictures of either, or have tried out one or the other and have opinions? Thanks!

For me the thickness of the knob was deciding factor. The tacki mac sand grip itself is fairly thin but the knob was too big. The Russian grip may be thicker overall but it's negligible. I actually have been using the comm and grip. Smaller knob and still pretty thin.  Again it's all personal preference when it comes to that.

I've tried both and I prefered the Russian Grip over the Tacki-mac. The Russian grip was slightly thinner but where it shined was the material is much more grippy vs the Tacki-mac. The Russian grip is supposed get sticker when wet too.

Just ordered three Tacki-Macs two weeks ago. Put two of them on recently and have played two or three games with them. I love it so far. The control factor using the grip is amazing. I have the sand grip as well. The knob, in my opinion, isn't too large. It may take a little adjusting, but it's pretty easy to get accustomed to. It's pretty tacky (no pun intended) as well. I love it so far. The grip is easy to put on as well.

22 hours ago, OldCY said:

For me the thickness of the knob was deciding factor. The tacki mac sand grip itself is fairly thin but the knob was too big. The Russian grip may be thicker overall but it's negligible. I actually have been using the comm and grip. Smaller knob and still pretty thin.  Again it's all personal preference when it comes to that.

I just feel like the other tacki macs I've used kind of kill the puck feel and make it damp. That's with the wrapped one.

19 hours ago, malcb33 said:

I've tried both and I prefered the Russian Grip over the Tacki-mac. The Russian grip was slightly thinner but where it shined was the material is much more grippy vs the Tacki-mac. The Russian grip is supposed get sticker when wet too.

Which tacki mac did you use?

1 hour ago, haider16 said:

I just feel like the other tacki macs I've used kind of kill the puck feel and make it damp. That's with the wrapped one.

Yea I didn't like how thick the wrapped grips were. I use the big butt grip now. 

On 9/25/2016 at 3:23 PM, OldCY said:

I felt the same way, and trimmed the "knob" prior to installing.  Just use a sharp pair of scissors before you put it on.  I only use TackiMacs, the sand command grip, but I always cut the knob down to basically half its original size before installing (height, not thickness.)   Alternatively, you can cut the knob off entirely, and just use the "sand" portion of the grip, and use tape as the knob portion and make that part as large or small as you like.

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yea I didn't like how thick the wrapped grips were. I use the big butt grip now. 

I tried the Big Butt and also the grip with the butt trimmed off. I like the texture but not the thickness, even of the basic wrap part. I'm thinking of just trying the thinnest tennis overgrips I can find instead.

I used to use Tacki Mac's but have recently switched to tennis over grips. As an added bonus they don't destroy your gloves like regular tape. Tacki mac's are also good in this aspect.
They are thin and allow you to add any size know / style of grip you prefer.

I was able to source 30 tennis overgrips for $13 from aliexpress. Bargain

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-wholesale-30pcs-lot-YY-Dry-feel-Grips-Overgrip-use-for-tennis-squash-padel-Speedminton/1711256785.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.11.hPUjWd&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_2_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=bb1b53ee-3520-4edf-bcc6-39c64d61acc1

20 hours ago, mnpucker said:

The Kane is the best one, thin and small butt end.

I had the ribbed wrapped one on a few sticks, but I have since switched to the Kane one & I agree it is better.  I have them on both sticks I use & a few extras stashed away for new sticks (I replaced on that ripped after at least a year of use.  I also put them on with hairspray & not the tape that comes with it which I think holds down the thickness a bit too.

On 9/26/2016 at 10:25 PM, haider16 said:

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but was the Russian Grip thinner than the Sand Tacki mac?

It's been a while since I used the sand, so I didn't have a side by side comparison. From memory I would say the Russian grip would be as thin or slightly thinner.