Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dpet

Skates hurt the outside of my shins?

So I bought these Bauer Vapor APX skates from a LHS I think 2 years ago (Ive used them for one season) and they felt great last season (the only problem was they hurt my foot arches but I realized I was tying the middle laces too tight so that fixed it but loosening it), but when I played in the first game this season yesterday they hurt the outside of my lower shin right above the ankle like hell. I already tried to loosen my top eyelet a lot so it barely was tightened but that didnt help. And the skates gave me 2 exactly the same bruises in the same spot on my 2 feet.  Sorry for showing a pic of my gross feet but ya know...

Right Foot-

CvDIwHe.jpg

Left Foot-

P7JWvHh.jpg

So yea I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem and what helped you. Thank you!

I have had that happen to me last year.  The side of my leg was rubbing/pressing against the top of the boot.

I just played through it. I'm not sure what caused it. Haven't had any problems so far this year.

I'm not an expert. But I would guess the boot is too stiff/small for the size of your ankles combined with how you move them when you skate (if there's any collapsing, etc). Or if the skin is broken maybe the top of the boot is too rough? I dunno man. 

Boots are now 1 season old, something in the fit has changed over the season. They may have opened up a little bit which allows the ankle to roll inwards slightly in the boot and hence exert pressure on the outside of the leg. It's hard to tell without seeing a lot more and knowing that they fit you properly (I have seen this a number of times in skates that are too big in a couple of areas).

You might try a rebake and focus on trying to compress the ankle area and under the ankle inwards as much as possible (clamps help). Another option is to spot heat the top of the boot and roll it outwards slightly. Or you could try a ankle gel pad or a ezyfit bootie, either of these are a cheap easy fix to let the leg heal. 

do you have your skates profiled?  I found for me as soon as I did a +1 forward pitch on my bauers (and 11' radius), all of my shin pain went away...

Do you skate without socks?  If so, try some thin socks.  I forgot my socks once, played barefoot and rubbed that same area raw in my Vapors.  It took weeks to heal.  After that experience, if I forget my socks, I don't play.  The only other option I see is to get that spot punched out a little.

AHHHH yes, the dreaded one year APX curse... (2 in your case)

For some reason, the original APX skates were tremendous performers for about a year for me..  I did play ALOT of hockey, but once they started to break down, it was mole skin everywhere for me.

Areas of the upper ankle began to scrape, lace bite set it, big toe began to hurt..etc.  I think you'll find others had similar experiences with the APX skate.  Buy new skates.

1 hour ago, TwoFour said:

Do you skate without socks?  If so, try some thin socks.  I forgot my socks once, played barefoot and rubbed that same area raw in my Vapors.  It took weeks to heal.  After that experience, if I forget my socks, I don't play.  The only other option I see is to get that spot punched out a little.

Yes I wear some bauer skate socks that are very think

7 hours ago, jgold47 said:

do you have your skates profiled?  I found for me as soon as I did a +1 forward pitch on my bauers (and 11' radius), all of my shin pain went away...

What is profiling my skates?

7 hours ago, dpet said:

What is profiling my skates?

Profiling is when you change the shape of the blade and or holder (you alter one or a mix of : pitch, radius, balance point, hollow, holder, shims etc). If you didn't know what it is then i suspect you haven't had then profiled.

18 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Profiling is when you change the shape of the blade and or holder (you alter one or a mix of : pitch, radius, balance point, hollow, holder, shims etc). If you didn't know what it is then i suspect you haven't had then profiled.

nope never had it

On 9/30/2016 at 4:38 PM, dpet said:

So I bought these Bauer Vapor APX skates from a LHS I think 2 years ago (Ive used them for one season) and they felt great last season (the only problem was they hurt my foot arches but I realized I was tying the middle laces too tight so that fixed it but loosening it), but when I played in the first game this season yesterday they hurt the outside of my lower shin right above the ankle like hell. I already tried to loosen my top eyelet a lot so it barely was tightened but that didnt help. And the skates gave me 2 exactly the same bruises in the same spot on my 2 feet.  Sorry for showing a pic of my gross feet but ya know...

Right Foot-

CvDIwHe.jpg

Left Foot-

P7JWvHh.jpg

So yea I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem and what helped you. Thank you!

I had almost the same issues, have you tried to bake them again or use a heat gun to mold the ankles again? It kind of looks like the ankle pocket lost its contour or if you stored them in the garage. The heat could cause them to lose the ankle pocket. I had similar issues and they were caused by changing skate footbeds. Just adding a bit of height it seems pushed my ankle out of the ankle pocket injuring my ankle. I limped for at least a few days.

I get something similar to this if I don't wear socks in my skates, but its only a small nip and the skates are still relatively new.

I get those with my skates occasionally, but only when I've spent significant time on the ice doing heavy edging drills. They're caused by the top edge of the boot rubbing against the skin.

For a while I took some duct tape, cut a few strips and lined the top of the skate to add a little extra padding. Another solution if this is a constant problem is to get Bunga pads. They're sleeves for your ankles/foot that have gel padding attached to them. They have different types that have the padding on different parts of your foot like ankle, heel, top of foot, and upper ankle. I picked mine up at my local hockey shop. But here's a a link to their site where you can check out what they look like and what's available. 

http://www.bungapads.com/browse-by-sport-en-2/figure-skating/

Cheers. 

May I suggest cutting off the excess felt around the edge of the tongue in that area. Placement to me says it is your toungue in the wrong place enough to pinch and or rub.