Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VegasHockey

Bauer X900 shin guards failed in less than 90 days

Warranty

90 days from the consumer date of purchase

Who Should I Contact?

If it is within 90 days of your purchase, please return to the retailer where you purchased your item for assistance with warranty. While warranty exceptions are unlikely, if it has been more than 90 days since your purchase and you have the original receipt from an authorized BAUER dealer, you may contact us:

U.S.: Warranty.US@bauer.com

Canada: Warranty.Canada@bauer.com

Outside North America: Warranty.Europe@bauer.com

Consumers in Russia: The warranty is provided in accordance with Russian law. Please contact the location where you purchased your BAUER product. In the case of a dispute, please contact the exclusive distributor in Russia, Inter-Commerce LLC at office@inter-commerce.ru.

TBH, Bauer customer care, if you could call it that, is awful. Actually, it should be called customer couldn't care less... 

I've had a lot of luck taking my stuff back to the original store.. they've been way more helpful. I've had some Vapor 1x shin pads last me less than a week - one of the stitching pulled straight through the foam (who thought that the cap should only be sewn through lightweight padding for 3/4" either side - awesome).. So the knee cap was flopping around. I love the design though, with the flexible bottom part of the shin pad (that and the 37.5  was the reason I moved from my bomb-proof CCM CL's). I've gone back to using the CCM's.

My Jofas are going on close to 20 years now, by far the oldest piece of gear I own. I am somtimes tempted to "update", but they have never failed me.  

4 hours ago, RickDC said:

TBH, Bauer customer care, if you could call it that, is awful. Actually, it should be called customer couldn't care less... 

I've had a lot of luck taking my stuff back to the original store.. they've been way more helpful. I've had some Vapor 1x shin pads last me less than a week - one of the stitching pulled straight through the foam (who thought that the cap should only be sewn through lightweight padding for 3/4" either side - awesome).. So the knee cap was flopping around. I love the design though, with the flexible bottom part of the shin pad (that and the 37.5  was the reason I moved from my bomb-proof CCM CL's). I've gone back to using the CCM's.

MY shop is going to talk to the Bauer rep. These shin guards are made poorly. I was looking at them in detail and Bauer doesn't even fully stitch around the cap. I even looking at the Vapor 1x and the 1s and noticed the same thing. 

Looking at the CCM top end shin guards they seem to be much better built. The downside is my shop said Bauer will most likely warranty it but only offer me credit towards another set of Bauer shin guards. He said they have never issued credit towards a person switching to another brand which is upsetting to me.

4 hours ago, Monty22 said:

My Jofas are going on close to 20 years now, by far the oldest piece of gear I own. I am somtimes tempted to "update", but they have never failed me.  

If it ain't broke don't fix it. 

10 hours ago, TeamHonda401 said:

Do you usually put your shins in the bottom of your hockey bag? I have seen some shins split from dropping the bag onto concrete. 

Due to my OCD I arrange everything in a specific order. Pants at the bottom and helmet at the top. Always. 

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

MY shop is going to talk to the Bauer rep. These shin guards are made poorly. I was looking at them in detail and Bauer doesn't even fully stitch around the cap. I even looking at the Vapor 1x and the 1s and noticed the same thing. 

Looking at the CCM top end shin guards they seem to be much better built. The downside is my shop said Bauer will most likely warranty it but only offer me credit towards another set of Bauer shin guards. He said they have never issued credit towards a person switching to another brand which is upsetting to me.

If they're playing that game, and you paid for them on your credit card, you can simply state that they're "not fit for purpose" and you want a full refund or credit for a different model. If they don't do that, then they don't respect your business.. I'd tell them you're leaving the shin pads with them, you want a receipt that you've left them with the store and that you'll be requesting a chargeback on the card. They'll either back down, or won't. Either way, your CC gives you some purchase protection. If they still mess you around do you still want to do business with that store?

I've had some issues with gear, I have to admit I'm a bit of a gear whore.. but my local hockey shop ( http://TheHockeyShop.com ) has been awesome and given me a refund / credit on something outside of warranty.. They've been super helpful and even though they're further away than 2 other stores, I'll take my business there each and every time.. 

13 hours ago, RickDC said:

If they're playing that game, and you paid for them on your credit card, you can simply state that they're "not fit for purpose" and you want a full refund or credit for a different model. If they don't do that, then they don't respect your business.. I'd tell them you're leaving the shin pads with them, you want a receipt that you've left them with the store and that you'll be requesting a chargeback on the card. They'll either back down, or won't. Either way, your CC gives you some purchase protection. If they still mess you around do you still want to do business with that store?

I've had some issues with gear, I have to admit I'm a bit of a gear whore.. but my local hockey shop ( http://TheHockeyShop.com ) has been awesome and given me a refund / credit on something outside of warranty.. They've been super helpful and even though they're further away than 2 other stores, I'll take my business there each and every time.. 

I used my AMEX so if they cause me issues AMEX will refund me. I spoke with them today. The perks of being a Platinum member :)

On 10/2/2016 at 10:09 PM, Nicholas G said:

Throw a fit and demand a replacement in the form of their top of the line shinguards because that kind of failure could have been catastrophic. Then resell said shinguards as new and never used. Use that money to buy new CCM, Warrior, etc.

14 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Throw a fit and demand a replacement in the form of their top of the line shinguards because that kind of failure could have been catastrophic. Then resell said shinguards as new and never used. Use that money to buy new CCM, Warrior, etc.

Yeah, I am not thrilled with this whole situation. I can't play in tomorrow's game since I don't have any shinguards. The Bauer rep is supposed to "inspect" the shinguards tomorrow and let me know if they will replace or issues credit to the store. He seems like a real piece of work. Looking at the pictures he said it looks like I abused the product as he said he has never seen a higher end shinguard fail in such a manner. What a prick. 

What happened to them? Not that it matters because any pair of shins shouldn't fail that fast but was it a puck or a fall or something else? Just curious

On 10/2/2016 at 7:42 PM, Monty22 said:

I've got Reebok Jofa 4k shins and RBK Jofa 4k elbows. My only regret is not getting the 7ks when they were still on the shelves.

2 hours ago, specs78 said:

What happened to them? Not that it matters because any pair of shins shouldn't fail that fast but was it a puck or a fall or something else? Just curious

Absolutely no idea. I skated in a game, nothing special happened, no blocking of shots or hard falls on the knees, overall a pretty normal night, Finished skating, put my stuff in my bag, showered and went home. Just a typical normal night. Came home and took everything out to hang it up and that's when I noticed the kneecap was shattered. 

Then when I started inspecting them further I noticed pretty much the entire knee area falling apart. Honestly, have never seen anything in this price range fall apart so easily. 

They are made very cheaply. Bauer doesn't even stitch around the entire knee cap, only the top and sides. The quality seems poor to me considering this is near the top of their line of Vapor gear. Extremely disappointed.

I miss the old days when I played Midget AAA and had the Flak Shins. Those things were indestructible. You could stop a train or jump off a roof of a two story building and never get hurt with those bad boys. 

Random question, what does everyone here consider the best shins on the market today? I have been looking online and its hard to tell the quality of the construction. The local stores don't really stock the high-end gear and have to order it so I can't inspect it prior to purchase.

I want to get something that not going to disintegrate.

I like my CCM RBZs quite a lot, they're easy to move in and very protective (I'm a bad skater and fall a lot when battling for pucks. Haha). I think QuickLite replaced the RBZ line. Not sure how they are, but if you find some RBZs they could probably be had for a discount.

There are 3 players in this game: you the customer, the retailer, and Bauer. The last two guys have the job in this situation of making it right for you the customer. As a Pro Shop guy, I would immediately begin to get you credit towards a new pair, even a different brand or replacement. Anything less is not acceptable. The responsibility is on the dealer to return the defective pads to Bauer for credit.  The Bauer rep's comment is also unacceptable. Frankly, if he were my rep, I'd rip him a new one. Where do you live?

2 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

There are 3 players in this game: you the customer, the retailer, and Bauer. The last two guys have the job in this situation of making it right for you the customer. As a Pro Shop guy, I would immediately begin to get you credit towards a new pair, even a different brand or replacement. Anything less is not acceptable. The responsibility is on the dealer to return the defective pads to Bauer for credit.  The Bauer rep's comment is also unacceptable. Frankly, if he were my rep, I'd rip him a new one. Where do you live?

Seattle, WA. 

Ok, glad to hear it's not the rep in my area. There is really no reason for the runaround. Your pads cracked, they are defective under warranty, they should be replaced. Sorry to hear of your troubles but this is how a dealer and a brand lose customers.

24 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

Ok, glad to hear it's not the rep in my area. There is really no reason for the runaround. Your pads cracked, they are defective under warranty, they should be replaced. Sorry to hear of your troubles but this is how a dealer and a brand lose customers.

Most of the shops in my area are starting to refuse to carry Bauer. This is either due to their fraud lawsuit or the poor service they have provided. I think there is only one store that plans on carrying next year's gear in stock.

All of the others are waiting for inventory to clear and sticking with CCM, True, Warrior and such but will order Bauer if someone specifically requests it. They just do not want to stock any of their equipment.

Seems if anyone in my area is going to want in stock Bauer gear they are going to have to make a quick trip to Vancouver or down to Portland. Personally, I like to order things online to avoid tax as long as I get free shipping. 

14 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Random question, what does everyone here consider the best shins on the market today? I have been looking online and its hard to tell the quality of the construction. The local stores don't really stock the high-end gear and have to order it so I can't inspect it prior to purchase.

I want to get something that not going to disintegrate.

A lot of that is fit and personal preference, but I'm very happy with the CCM CL pads I picked up on clearance a little over a year ago. The CCM RBZ pads kmfdm recommended replaced those and are very similar, but with some improvements like better strapping. As he mentioned the Quicklite pads replaced those, but they changed the strapping system and fit a bit. Personally, I'd look for the CCM RBZs on clearance if you can find them and like the fit.

I just got rid of a pair of X900's, they were made very poorly and have basically no protection to block shots.  The plastic shell would actually twist on my leg.   My knee would stay in the pocket, but the shell would twist about an inch to the center just above my skate.  No structural strength.

I got a pair of the CCM Ultra Tacks..it's a great pad and seems to be the next generation of the Reebok 20K