Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darkhors

Will insoles help at all with pain in ball of foot??

Ok, so I know most people love superfeet or sidas, but when looking at these, there's not much material at the front of the foot (I'm currently using the stock insoles). I usually have pain towards the end of the game on the inside ball of my feet (directly behind my big toe). As I've gotten older, it's become more evident and I'm trying to figure out if it's something that can be taken care of with insoles. I feel like my boot fits very well, it's not too big as my toes just barely brush the toe cap and I have very good heel lock. For reference I wear 8.0D Vapor X90's. I also use powerfeet in my skates and that has made a big difference as well, but hasn't cured the issue.

I'm looking for a few suggestions on what to do to help alleviate this problem. Thanks for your help!!

I had similar pain while using superfeet. I've been using the CCM med arh insoles for a couple seasons now with no pain. 

I edited the above post, but just for reference, I'm using the stock insoles from the X90's. My main concern is if there are any insoles that have more cushioning towards the ball of the foot that would help with this?

2 hours ago, darkhors said:

I edited the above post, but just for reference, I'm using the stock insoles from the X90's. My main concern is if there are any insoles that have more cushioning towards the ball of the foot that would help with this?

Can't you just take a pair of other insoles, such as shoe ones or similar, and glue/attach them to your current ones to provide more cushion? 

Search Amazon for "ball of foot gel pads" then take your pick as to the type you want. The happy feet ones work ok. Insert them under your insole, they won't move. Gel is inert so they can generally stay there forever without causing any problems. Most are made in 2 parts, I often separate the parts so they are 1/2 the thickness, good for players that don't have a lot of volume in the forefoot area, they still work just as well this way.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll take a look at the CCM insoles first and see how they feel, then if that doesn't work, I'll look for the gel pads. I'll try to stop by JR's shop and try the different arch sizes. 

One other questions, I'm in Michigan. Where would I go to get custom Pro Sidas insoles done? I tried looking on their website and I they don't list anything in Michigan.

On 10/4/2016 at 1:41 PM, darkhors said:

You don't need cushioning, that's the worse thing, you need arch support.  The CCM footbeds are the best. I even wear them in my sneakers since I'm on my feet on concrete all day long. I have plantar issues as well and those footbeds rock.

On 10/5/2016 at 5:59 PM, jimmy said:

You don't need cushioning, that's the worse thing, you need arch support.  The CCM footbeds are the best. I even wear them in my sneakers since I'm on my feet on concrete all day long. I have plantar issues as well and those footbeds rock.

So you think the issue is the arch in the current soles is to flat? I guess I didn't think that would cause pain in the ball of the foot as much as the middle of the foot. Maybe that's why it's only on the inside of the ball of my foot and not across the entire width. I'm going to have to go out and test a few pairs. I really like the concept of those Pro Sidas insoles, if I could find a fitter.

On 10/5/2016 at 2:59 PM, jimmy said:

Just to make sure, you are referring to these, yes? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hockey-accessory-custom-support-insoles-sr.html

Just now, jimmy said:

Yes, you should go to an authorized retailer, get your feet mapped and buy the correct one from them. Monkey is not cheaper than your retailer if you have one.

No retailer near me carries these in stock and special orders are not returnable. There is a machine though, at the local drug store for a company, I forgot the name, that will match your foot profile arch to a corresponding footbed. Basically, it will state if you are a low, med or high arch. This should be enough to get a general guess as to what to order. 

Another possible reason for pain in the ball of your foot is that the arch of your foot is further from your heel and closer to the ball of your foot compared to the average person. I had that problem when I tried Superfeet for my skates and for my shoes. The Superfeet arch which is designed for the average foot (as are many shoes and insoles) was closer to my heel so there was a small void under the arch of my foot just behind the ball of the foot. Going up a Superfeet size helped a bit but not fully. The best solution for me was the Graf Sidas molded footbeds since the footbed arch was molded exactly to my natural foot arch.

Just now, Larry54 said:

Another possible reason for pain in the ball of your foot is that the arch of your foot is further from your heel and closer to the ball of your foot compared to the average person. I had that problem when I tried Superfeet for my skates and for my shoes. The Superfeet arch which is designed for the average foot (as are many shoes and insoles) was closer to my heel so there was a small void under the arch of my foot just behind the ball of the foot. Going up a Superfeet size helped a bit but not fully. The best solution for me was the Graf Sidas molded footbeds since the footbed arch was molded exactly to my natural foot arch.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to find are the Sidas molded ones. However, I haven't found a place in Michigan that does the fitting/molding process.

Although the speed plates mold to your foot, they are very thin and don't conform as well to your arch. For some people I think they'll work great, but I have a mid to high arch and would prefer to have the molded Sidas custom to my foot.

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

Yes seen this many times too. Sometimes the person was sized wrong and a bigger skate places the arch in the wrong position.  Sidas moldable footbeds are awesome.  I looked at getting them for my store but didn't want to spend $3000 for the special machines.

Also worth mentioning is what I had happen... my insoles were actually sliding forward a bit while I was skating, forcing me to curl my toes a bit while skating, which I didn't even notice at the time, but man oh man did it ever hurt the next day. Ball of my foot, just below my big toe .

Replaced insole with one that wasn't flexible and pain went away immediately.

No idea if this is related to your pain but maybe for future reference for somebody else searching the forums for this issue in the future.

From what I can tell, I think it's come down to needing a little more arch support. I do have a tendency to curl my toes a little, even though my skates are sized correctly. My toes just brush the caps and I have very good heel lock. My feet don't move at all in the skate (front to back), so I'm thinking I just need to get something that supports the arch better and see how that works. I appreciate all the comments here though, it's nice to see what others have tried and different experiences with the insoles.

Forgot to ask... has anyone heard of Fastech? They are in Troy, MI and apparently do custom athletic insoles for skiing and running shoes. I'm wondering if they would be able to do something for me, but I'm not sure if they have an insole that would work for skates.

4 hours ago, darkhors said:

Forgot to ask... has anyone heard of Fastech? They are in Troy, MI and apparently do custom athletic insoles for skiing and running shoes. I'm wondering if they would be able to do something for me, but I'm not sure if they have an insole that would work for skates.

I'm not familiar with Fastech but Sidas also make molded footbeds for ski boots and also for cycling. I don't know how their thickness compares to the skate footbeds but the heat-molding process is identical. It might be a good idea for you to find a ski shop or bike shop that has them or other molded footbeds and ask them about it.

18 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I'm not familiar with Fastech but Sidas also make molded footbeds for ski boots and also for cycling. I don't know how their thickness compares to the skate footbeds but the heat-molding process is identical. It might be a good idea for you to find a ski shop or bike shop that has them or other molded footbeds and ask them about it.

I called Fastech yesterday and they do moldings for skates as well. They mentioned that they work with many top tier athlete's from many different sports including hockey. I believe they actually sell the machine that the Sidas shops use to do the molding as they are the supplier of the machine. They're $150 for the custom insoles and it takes about 30 minutes or so. Plus they said that if something doesn't feel right when you start skating you can bring them back and they'll re-adjust them. I'm planning on doing this next month and I'll report back once I have them in my skates.

6 hours ago, darkhors said:

I called Fastech yesterday and they do moldings for skates as well. They mentioned that they work with many top tier athlete's from many different sports including hockey. I believe they actually sell the machine that the Sidas shops use to do the molding as they are the supplier of the machine. They're $150 for the custom insoles and it takes about 30 minutes or so. Plus they said that if something doesn't feel right when you start skating you can bring them back and they'll re-adjust them. I'm planning on doing this next month and I'll report back once I have them in my skates.

Sounds good! I believe my last pair of Sidas were $125 but that was 3 years ago, so add inflation and and consider that there might be small improvements since then and it looks very reasonable.