Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mkochczynski

DIY Custom Gloves?

Hi Everyone,

I grew up playing hockey in the 90's, played until I graduated high school in 2004. From my freshman year to senior year, I had a pair of yellow/gold and navy Nike gloves. They were ugly, poser abominations and I started wearing them ironically, but then started to love using them. A new coach my senior year told me I had to spray paint them if I wanted to wear them. I did, it came out terrible. I still have the gloves.

A - How can I strip the paint (can't remember if it was oil or water based) without causing damage to the gloves?

B - I'm debating buying a modern white and navy pair, then dying them gold. Is this a terrible idea?

If I go with option B: what should I use a fabric pen, India Ink, fabric dye, etc.?

Is this all a terrible, terrible idea in general?

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, mkochczynski said:

Hi Everyone,

I grew up playing hockey in the 90's, played until I graduated high school in 2004. From my freshman year to senior year, I had a pair of yellow/gold and navy Nike gloves. They were ugly, poser abominations and I started wearing them ironically, but then started to love using them. A new coach my senior year told me I had to spray paint them if I wanted to wear them. I did, it came out terrible. I still have the gloves.

A - How can I strip the paint (can't remember if it was oil or water based) without causing damage to the gloves?

B - I'm debating buying a modern white and navy pair, then dying them gold. Is this a terrible idea?

If I go with option B: what should I use a fabric pen, India Ink, fabric dye, etc.?

Is this all a terrible, terrible idea in general?

Thanks!

I would just invest in a new pair of gloves. I am sure by now those have seen plenty of ice time and it might be time to put them out to pasture. Most of the new gloves have barely any break in time, are crazy light and incredibly flexible. Not to mention some companies, like True, for example, have zip-out replaceable palms. 

Nick and any others reading, if I went with a new pair, would you recommend doing the DIY customization or pay a premium to Warrior, Eagle, etc. to have them professionally customized by the manufacturer?

1 hour ago, mkochczynski said:

Nick and any others reading, if I went with a new pair, would you recommend doing the DIY customization or pay a premium to Warrior, Eagle, etc. to have them professionally customized by the manufacturer?

http://www.customprorepair.com/

They likely won't be able to fix your old gloves but you can buy any new pair and ship them off to this place to have them:

1) Repalmed/re-gusseted
2) Embroided
3) Extra padding put in in places of your choosing
4) They can even taper fingers (to an extent) and change thumb flexibility if I'm not mistaken

18 hours ago, mkochczynski said:

I think most manufacturers will have a color combination that you can order either through a shop or directly through them that might fit your requirements. Also, EBay is a great place to find Pro Stock gear as well that usually has color combinations like those you specified. 

A few things you could do, if you get new gloves...

1) Just find some with gold already in them. I'm pretty sure Bauer has had that color combination as a booking only or made to order option before, so you might get lucky looking around.

2) Use a product like Pant/Pad Skinz which have an adhesive back on it in order to change colors.

3) Rather than dye a glove, try using an acrylic paint pen. I've gone that route before to recolor white logos and it has held up well, and does not bleed like a permanent marker might.