Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaticle

New to hockey need gear help!!

Hello,

Im starting a hockey program to learn how to play then starting a rec non checking league soon after.

I'm going about buying my gear i already bought my skates CCM RBZ80, stick Graf composite 100 flex and my cloves Warrior covert DT2 gloves. Im a bit lost after that, i know what sizes i need but for quality and reliability on hockey pants, shoulder,shin, elbow pads and helmet and any other gear i might need, i don't know where to start. i use hockey monkey but there are pretty much no reviews. i was hoping you could help point me in the right direction on some solid brands  and/or lines of gear and what to look for. I'm 6 foot 3 and 280 so i will be a defender lol.

Thanks,

Nate!

+1^, try it on!

option 2 if you don't have stores near by, check out Hockey Giant, Pure Hockey, Ice Warehouse, Total Hockey, etc.  they nave have the reviews you are looking for. Check out clearance items too as you can get some good deals there too!

Thank your for the input, there are no stores around me that sell senior gear, that is one of the problems i am running into, the pro shops a the rinks don't even really have much by way of senior gear.

Remember this, being new to the game you are going to fall and have accidental collisions, a lot, and it won't be graceful. Don't skimp on pants, shin pads, or elbow pads or you will come to regret it. The best bet on protective is to look for mid-level, closeout items. You can get good protection at a decent price.

If the nearest, well stocked shop is a manageable drive away, drive and get fit. Do it once, do it right, the first time. Set a reasonable budget and be open to suggestion from there. Try things on and go with what fits. 

Another important thing to realise is that being new, you're going to get a lot of gear that you end up replacing in a year not because it's worn out but just because you start to develop preferences. Another reason to go the clearance route!

For the items you have left to buy, the one you MUST try on is the helmet. Everyone has a different head shape and the helmets are all different. For everything else (and possibly the helmet if you can't get the right price) you can find online, don't skimp on the elbow pads, buy the best you can afford and if you hunt the sell forum here, ebay, and other places you should find top of the line gear from the last few years with none to very little wear at good prices (eg I picked up some 11k elbows last week for $50). If you are unsure of sizing ask here.

16 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Another important thing to realise is that being new, you're going to get a lot of gear that you end up replacing in a year not because it's worn out but just because you start to develop preferences. Another reason to go the clearance route!

I agree with this 100%. Not only that but you can save a ton going with clearance. while still getting good gear. 

19 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Thanks for the info! also, i like your name, I work IT for a living so its awesome

18 hours ago, Vet88 said:

For the items you have left to buy, the one you MUST try on is the helmet. Everyone has a different head shape and the helmets are all different. For everything else (and possibly the helmet if you can't get the right price) you can find online, don't skimp on the elbow pads, buy the best you can afford and if you hunt the sell forum here, ebay, and other places you should find top of the line gear from the last few years with none to very little wear at good prices (eg I picked up some 11k elbows last week for $50). If you are unsure of sizing ask here.

Thanks! I will for sure look at the sell forum!

Thanks for all the info everyone! yesterday i picked up a pair of CCM RBZ 110 Sr. Hockey Pants because they were a great deal on the clearance section, and i will be getting the rest of my gear over the next week. like i said any tips etc or gear I'm not thinking of feel free to let me know!

13 hours ago, Spaticle said:

Thanks for all the info everyone! yesterday i picked up a pair of CCM RBZ 110 Sr. Hockey Pants because they were a great deal on the clearance section, and i will be getting the rest of my gear over the next week. like i said any tips etc or gear I'm not thinking of feel free to let me know!

I'm sure it goes without saying, but make sure you have a jock and nut cup! It's your most important piece of equipment.

spend a little extra on the helmet too (second most important piece of equipment), the Bauer Re Akt 75 is pretty good and comfortable, just try it on first to make sure it fits you dome shape.