Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bulawa

Bauer Speed Plate for MX3

Hi there,

I have been using my MX3 ever since the release now (should be the 3rd season) and before replacing it, I thught I might try a few things and have a bit of fun, trying a few maybe fatal equipment tweaks. 

One of the not so fatal tewaks would be to use a Bauer Speed Plate. Hase anybody tried it before or has experience with the Speed Plate to share?
kind regards

12 hours ago, GloriousLeader said:

Awesome, that answers it. Turns out I have quite a good relation to my LHS so I will get a pair without hesitation. Ill post my experiences....

I have speedplates in my MX3s.  I use a size 7 plate for a 6.5 skate.  fits like a glove.  I like them a lot.   results will vary.

On 12.10.2016 at 4:17 AM, Nicholas G said:

"trying a few maybe fatal equipment tweaks."

What does that mean exactly? 

It is basically impossible for me to lace the skate is a way that I do not leave the ice without my feet aching, since my forefoot is wider than the boot and the instep shape quite different from the skate.  Any attempt to bake the skate 'soft' (the way bauer describes it) will result in either the boot narrowing or the instep flattening and either one is bad. But with a certain ruthlessness, I might stretch the skate material a bit. I had a nice little chat with the Bauer pro sales rep and he will help me, he basically came up with it. I will have a new skate by then anyway, so in the worst case, I only have the NXG for backup, else I have a better fitting MX3 for backup. 

I don't think speedplates will help your skates fit better, but I would recommend them. They are definitely better than the stock MX3 insoles by a longshot. I have been using them in my MX3's for the last few weeks and I am very pleased. Sounds like you might want to consider custom skates. I had to go that route due to my feet being quite narrow. I love Bauer Supremes, but they are too wide for me. Are you in a D or EE width?

8 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't think speedplates will help your skates fit better, but I would recommend them. They are definitely better than the stock MX3 insoles by a longshot. I have been using them in my MX3's for the last few weeks and I am very pleased. Sounds like you might want to consider custom skates. I had to go that route due to my feet being quite narrow. I love Bauer Supremes, but they are too wide for me. Are you in a D or EE width?

Did you get the later version of the speedplates or the previous version? If memory serves me properly, they had an issue with them during the first production. Or was that the LS4 blades? I get it all twisted up. 

On 14.10.2016 at 9:51 AM, Jason said:

It will be custom skates as soon as I cobbled the money together sometime mid december. Left 9D ist fine, 9E might be better or if there it something inbetween it might be the choice. Right, 8.5E (yeah, just one E. EE are too wide, I have too much room in EE).

23 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Did you get the later version of the speedplates or the previous version? If memory serves me properly, they had an issue with them during the first production. Or was that the LS4 blades? I get it all twisted up. 

1st Gen LS 4 were known to crack. I had one pair crack two weeks ago but after a year of use.

Ok, after two weeks with 4 games as Ref. and 2 on ice practices with a beer league team I can finally tell you how it went.

I did not bake the skate, I just bakes a Speed Plate into my MX3 and it feels awesome. I hardly feel the skate anymore when lacing up as ref (for which I lace up a bit more loosely than when playing; i also use LS4 blades as Ref and fusions for playing) and can easily live with the pressure I get when lacing hard. I do not think I gained tremedeously in speed, agility or acceleration, but the SpeedPlate helped a bit with all of those. It just feels more 'direct'.

I did not believe it, but 50 Buks for SpeedPlates saved me 1k for a new skate that I was about to get.

IT IS AWESOME, if you can, go ahead try it. 

13 minutes ago, Bulawa said:

Ok, after two weeks with 4 games as Ref. and 2 on ice practices with a beer league team I can finally tell you how it went.

I did not bake the skate, I just bakes a Speed Plate into my MX3 and it feels awesome. I hardly feel the skate anymore when lacing up as ref (for which I lace up a bit more loosely than when playing; i also use LS4 blades as Ref and fusions for playing) and can easily live with the pressure I get when lacing hard. I do not think I gained tremedeously in speed, agility or acceleration, but the SpeedPlate helped a bit with all of those. It just feels more 'direct'.

I did not believe it, but 50 Buks for SpeedPlates saved me 1k for a new skate that I was about to get.

IT IS AWESOME, if you can, go ahead try it. 

I tried superfeet and many others insoles and the Speed Plates are heads and tails better than anything I've used.