Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan D

Question about modern skates, specifically Bauer s180s

Hi,

I used to skate a lot and then broke my ankle and stopped skating for about a decade. The skates have changed a lot in that time. I just bought Bauer s180s to replace my old Bauer Supreme 7000s. I am really having  lot of trouble getting used to them and was wondering if it is a break-in/baking issue or whether it is just me not being used to really stiff, modern skates, or if I was using the old skates as a crutch for my poor skills. The particular issue is that my new skates tilt side to side a bit more than with my old skates (especially when getting on the outside edge), maybe 10 degrees. They fit well at my ankle joint and below, but the inch or so above the joint is about a half inch from the side of my leg. The feeling I get when I step in them is that if I stopped hard and caught an edge, they would tilt too much and all the force would be on my ankle joint/shin bones. I can make them fit more closely to my shin only if I tighten them so much that I have no forward flex.

I am not a good skater, so maybe people are used to this and take advantage of the extra mobility; and I have just always been doing it wrong. Let me know if that dangerous tilt feeling is just a matter of getting used to it and getting stronger.

Hoping for some advice.

Thanks

Hey buddy, 

I think it might be the fact that you haven't skated in a while. Other than that, where'd you get them sharpened? It might be a crappy sharpening. Cheers!

Could be that you're sensitive to the pressure in your ankle given your history of major injury and all. I have pretty weak ankle from skiing injury few years back and yeah I find I'm extra sensitive to any "sensations" in that ankle.

Other than that, have you been properly fitted to the skate? (ie someone who knows what their doing fit your skates). If so, then get skating and give it some time or your balance and strength to come back. 

Thank you both for your responses. I wasn't clear on one thing. I am actively using my old 7000s and I don't have that same sensation with them, but they are really starting to wear out.

The S180's are a composite boot so they are much stiffer than what you are used to skating in.  I would be willing to bet that its the stiff skate mixed with the fact you haven't skated in 10 years.

I always thought the supreme 7000's I had were extremely stiff out of the box. Maybe they have broken down and now you are used to that feel? Seems odd to me that a lower end model of modern skates would be stiffer than supreme 7000s

I noticed a similar sensation when switching from Bauer Vapor x7.0, a modern skate, to CCM Jetspeed 300.  The Jetspeeds seem to flare out at the top a little bit more.  Plus, the Vapors were thicker on the sides towards the top.    I prefer the Vapors from the ankle up, but everything else about the Jetspeeds fits me better.

I'm currently skipping the second eyelet in my Jetspeeds.  This seems to allow me to tie the skate tight at the top, pulling the sides of the boot closer to my leg while still allowing for forward flex.  Give it a try and see if it helps at all.