Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shooter27

$150,000 Stick Theft in Quebec

Seems pretty inconceivable that a guy can show up and steal probably 500+ sticks from a stores show floor. Sort through the rack with a flashlight... He surely had to make a handful of trips as that many sticks is awkward to carry not to mention it is over 450lb in weight. Even if there were no motion sensors, once the door was open, it would sound an alarm (I hope) and notify the PD. Even if sticks are all were laid out on the floor in front of the door, it would have taken a few minutes to transport this awkward cargo in the van. All that while alarm blearing... More I think about it, the more it reminds me this...

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

Seems pretty inconceivable that a guy can show up and steal probably 500+ sticks from a stores show floor. Sort through the rack with a flashlight... He surely had to make a handful of trips as that many sticks is awkward to carry not to mention it is over 450lb in weight. Even if there were no motion sensors, once the door was open, it would sound an alarm (I hope) and notify the PD. Even if sticks are all were laid out on the floor in front of the door, it would have taken a few minutes to transport this awkward cargo in the van. All that while alarm blearing... More I think about it, the more it reminds me this...

EPIC reference! Love that movie. "You see these ridges?!"

Yes, the motion sensors and back door alarm being disabled is a big clue as to the perps in this deal. The next problem is fencing the sticks. Ebay is not a smart idea. I doubt these guys want to go through the hassle of shipping !!! So once they start hitting the local rinks to dump the sticks, sooner or later they are going to run out of customers and players keeping quiet. Everybody loves to brag about the deal they got on gear and you know who else plays hockey?

Cops play hockey.

"What, there is no 30 day warranty on this stick? F that."

If I didn't know any better I would wonder if this is how the locals welcome a big player like Monkey into their yard.

12 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Unfortunately alarm systems don't work like they do in the movies.  Once the alarm is tripped and the sirens are blaring, you need a monitoring service in order for someone to be contacted.  Once the property references and police arrive, the culprits are long gone.

If you listen to the video, this theft took place at 10 pm. One of the employees watching the video says that across the street there are people in restaurants. I have to believe the alarm was completely deactivated. The video shows him walking through the store, not running to get the job done. Also, when he takes the sticks out the back door, there are 8 bundles of sticks. There must be 24-30 sticks in each bundle. Watch the timeline on the security video. He is inside the store for over an hour. There is no way the alarms were still active during this robbery.

3 hours ago, mickz said:

Unfortunately alarm systems don't work like they do in the movies.  Once the alarm is tripped and the sirens are blaring, you need a monitoring service in order for someone to be contacted.  Once the property references and police arrive, the culprits are long gone.

It costs exactly 10$ per month to have your alarm linked to a central, if a door is open or a motion detector is triggered a dispatch calls right away / cops - firefighters are sent immediately on site depending on the alarm if you do not answer or answer and its not a false. This is not some remote area, theres plenty of activity on a sat. Night and the police station is 3min away. Again something does not ad up and we will hearing more soon hopefully. 

Due to the effectiveness of their entry, I'd say that an employee was involved in some capacity.   If the alarm sensors are only fixed to doors, then the alarm wouldn't have sounded till they exited the store.  

1 hour ago, TeamHonda401 said:

Due to the effectiveness of their entry, I'd say that an employee was involved in some capacity.   If the alarm sensors are only fixed to doors, then the alarm wouldn't have sounded till they exited the store.  

That was my first thought as well.  It definitely seems like it was an inside job.  

On 10/19/2016 at 7:03 AM, icewalker_bg said:

It costs exactly 10$ per month to have your alarm linked to a central, if a door is open or a motion detector is triggered a dispatch calls right away / cops - firefighters are sent immediately on site depending on the alarm if you do not answer or answer and its not a false. This is not some remote area, theres plenty of activity on a sat. Night and the police station is 3min away. Again something does not ad up and we will hearing more soon hopefully. 

Yeah I would think one of their employees is going down with this one.

I read the article on yahoo, back when this occurred, but did not watch any videos.  One thing to let people know.  The Thief went through the roof because its a soft spot on a building.  Many people think that a roof deck has a concrete topping, but on many its just a corragated metal deck with tapered insulation board over it with a rubber membrane over that and thats it.  a cordless sawzall or a  angle grinder and someone can have a hole in the deck inside of 15 minutes.  What I find odd is the guy puts the sticks towards the back.  But they all should have been at the back door before this guy opens that back door.  He had too much time still getting the sticks to the door once he pops that back door. 

So it makes you wonder why didnt the police show up sooner?

Was this an inside job?  I think the bad guy had some insider knowledge...someone who could steer them to what they may expect.

Many years ago I worked at a gas station.  It got robbed, it was an inside job.  One of the newer guys had shown a buddy the backside of the place a week or two before the breakin.  The office had a safe with a backside drop slot.  They spent some time using the air tools to try and chisel into the backside drop slot and failed at getting to the safe.  AND even my boss refused to listen to me about the employee who was connected.

This is up in Canada, its not like they need to sell them to just those who play hockey...everyone must play Hockey...or so it appears to us down in the states. These things will get bartered around with other hot things. 

Either this guy was picking the best sticks or at least the best curves.  One has to wonder if someone will come up to monkey and ask if they want protection from this stuff ever happening again?