Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldtrainerguy28

Step Steel Holder

12 hours ago, ACE 22 QC said:

Similar to the Graf holder but the screw is embedded directly on the blade.

I'm happy to hear this difference.

Strange profile on this Step pair, looks like they have been grinded flat. Other than that looks pretty good. The rear attachment looks very similar to Graf.

peakspeed_runner.jpg

18 hours ago, malcb33 said:

Here's the new steel

Nice Pic :)      

This is a pic of the Goalie Steel. That is why there is a machined top portion in order to insert the 4mm blade in the 3mm insert on vh/step holder. That is why it s seems so flat, its a goalie radius closer to a 30 foot. That is also why it is isnt very tall...

Just like Price...

https://www.facebook.com/stepskates/photos/pb.114819765333209.-2207520000.1478617326./783427135139132/?type=3&theater

I cant insert image without it being hosted on another site.... but the "player" blade is different...  and much taller.

Let me add afew notes...

Although they say to have all 10 foot neutral radiuses, the LS3 heal is flatter than the LS2, LS4 and Step/VH blades. Meaning the LS2, LS4 and Step/VH blades have similar heals. The LS2, LS3 and LS4 all have similar toes that are flatter than the toe on the Step/VH blade.

16 minutes ago, ACE 22 QC said:

Althought they say to have all 10 foot neutral radiuses, the LS3 heal is flatter than the LS2, LS4 and Step/VH blades. Meaning the LS2, LS4 and Step/VH blades have similar heals. The LS2, LS3 and LS4 all have similar toes that are flatter than the toe on the Step/VH blade.

How about the forward pitch of the holder itself?

3 hours ago, ACE 22 QC said:

Nice Pic :)      

This is a pic of the Goalie Steel. That is why there is a machined top portion in order to insert the 4mm blade in the 3mm insert on vh/step holder. That is why it s seems so flat, its a goalie radius closer to a 30 foot. That is also why it is isnt very tall...

Just like Price...

https://www.facebook.com/stepskates/photos/pb.114819765333209.-2207520000.1478617326./783427135139132/?type=3&theater

I cant insert image without it being hosted on another site.... but the "player" blade is different...  and much taller.

Let me add afew notes...

Although they say to have all 10 foot neutral radiuses, the LS3 heal is flatter than the LS2, LS4 and Step/VH blades. Meaning the LS2, LS4 and Step/VH blades have similar heals. The LS2, LS3 and LS4 all have similar toes that are flatter than the toe on the Step/VH blade.

Why is the goalie steel not very tall? Wasn't the Step Extreme and Step Steel popular with goalies because of the extra height of the steel?

You can see in this pic, CP31 is wearing a goal version of the holder. Maybe they added extra height to to the holder itself and thinned out the steel to reduce weight? I dunno though........

cp31%20on%20step_zpsgptkzogt.jpg

3 hours ago, Hills said:

Why is the goalie steel not very tall? Wasn't the Step Extreme and Step Steel popular with goalies because of the extra height of the steel?

1 hour ago, malcb33 said:

You can see in this pic, CP31 is wearing a goal version of the holder. Maybe they added extra height to to the holder itself and thinned out the steel to reduce weight? I dunno though........

I think its a combination of factors.. The goalie cowling is taller than normal to compensate for the lack of steel height. And it is thinned out like "malcb33" said. Also, I believe they were having issues with the Extreme at the pro level especially with Kay Whitmore and the NHLs effort in reducing goalie equipment. The taller cowling/lower steel combo might be a way to go around the rulings..

Goalie holder looks the same as players holder which is higher than any other goalie holders. the steel is also looks the same, but is grinded down so it is flatter and not too tall when combined with the holder. This is the way I see it at least for now.

Carey's holder could very well be a sample, but it has noticeable holes in the front and back where the picture above of the holder and steel has those holes filled in.

1 hour ago, malcb33 said:

Carey's holder could very well be a sample, but it has noticeable holes in the front and back where the picture above of the holder and steel has those holes filled in.

My guess would be same holder is used to cut down manufacturing costs, one mold vs 2. Just use a die grinder to cut out the thin pieces at the toe and heel for goalie lacing. 

What's the goalie logic for liking taller holder/steel? Seems like you'd want to be closer to the ice, rather than further away. Does it help increase the angle of attack when pushing across the crease? (I don't understand anything about playing goal.)

49 minutes ago, start_today said:

What's the goalie logic for liking taller holder/steel? Seems like you'd want to be closer to the ice, rather than further away. Does it help increase the angle of attack when pushing across the crease? (I don't understand anything about playing goal.)

Helps with angle of attack so you don't have to raise your leg as much when pushing while on the ice. Before pads had to be close to the ice so pucks didn't squeak through when standing, goalies don't really make that save anymore so pads are higher on the skate so they don't get in the way of the ice when pushing off and so they cover more area in the 5-hole.

I saw Pacioretty has a set of Step Blacksteel runners made for his Edge holders. Are they finally allowed to make them? The steel said "sale forbidden in the USA" on the top.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

I saw Pacioretty has a set of Step Blacksteel runners made for his Edge holders. Are they finally allowed to make them? The steel said "sale forbidden in the USA" on the top.

I do not think Bauer's restriction on this was ever in Canada. It could be just a USA thing. So if you know someone in Canada, they can get that for you as well.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Making them for NHL wasn't the issue.  Those products sold to NHL teams aren't being resold.

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

So why doesn't it sale sale forbidden in stead of just in the USA? Can they sell to American teams?

I thought Pacioretty plays for Canadian team...