Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Martin Marek

ICE HOCKEY SKATE EXPERTS NEEDED--CCM-- which profile fits me?

ICE SKATE EXPERTS NEEDED!!  THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Facts: 

·        I’m looking for a good CCM skate to fit me

·        I wear a 11.5 Wide sneaker

·        I have a pretty high arch

·        I currently wear a 9.5 Bauer Supreme Wide (EE), 190’s  fit well.

·        I want to try CCM skates, which skate should I try??

·       Ribcore / Tacks / Jetspeed??

My feeling is that I’ll need a wide CCM, but I’m not sure which one will fit the best.  I think Jetspeed is out of the question (narrow like Vapor line on Bauer?), but I’ve been reading and I’ve seen different results.  One page shows that Ribcore have a wider toebox, so they seem the right ones, but then I read that TACKS are right in the middle?  Comfort is most important to me.  I DO NOT want to be in any pain!  PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE!  Also, which exact model would be helpful.  I would LOVE to find that PERFECT FIT out there.  I know SOMEONE out there can help me…who will it be.  First beer is on me.  Thanks!

Martin Marek

I'm not a expert but I did recently get Jetspeeds as a replacement to my Vapors. The Vapors were tapered but the Jetspeed is much more tapered. I fit into the standard "D" width so if you are a EE in Bauer, I would assume that Jetspeed may not be a good fit. Also the Jetspeed fit me a half size lower than Vapor and I believe that this is common in the whole CCM line with the exception of the brand New Tacks. 

thanks for the reply.  what does tapered mean?  i think vapor line is thin in the heel.  

if i have 9.5 bauer supreme, i should get 10.0 Ribcore's right?  But also 9.5 New Tacks?  is that what you are saying?  that Ribcore and Jetspeeds would be 10, correct?  Is that Blades of steel logo?  Dude, what a great game!!!

Technically, Tacks are widest, followed by Jetspeed and then RibCor.  From what I've seen, CCM's generally fit about a half size bigger than Bauer.  That means if you're in a 9.5 Bauer, you could wear a 9 CCM.  Its not the case 100% of the time, but it does happen more often than not.

ankles, thanks for replying:  see that does not make sense.  tacks are widest:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/CCM_Ice_Hockey_Skates_Senior/catpage-SKMICCM.html

if you look at the top of that page, it shows that the widest foot goes into the Ribcore.  Maybe i should be asking, if i'm fitting well into the Supreme line, which line is equivalent for the CCMs's?

Hey Martin, let me try to help out here. If you're able to try on a few pairs, i would suggest you do, but if you're looking for your best shot at the best fit based on what you've given us, here's what i recommend:

Based on your current pair of skates, here is how you most likely size up by sub-brand:

• JetSpeed: 9
  • RibCor: 9
  • New Tacks line (Super Tacks, Ultra, 6092, 5092, etc): 9.5

If you were wearing EE, you should stick with that for CCM skates as well.

Generally, those wearing your skates fit very well in the New Tacks line. It has an average heel width with a very precise heel lock design. The Super Tacks forefoot width in EE is our widest. So the 2016 Tacks line is the first pair i would try on if i were you. 

I've worn a 7.5D 190, and 7D Jetspeed. I'd say the fit between the two is very similar, with the Jetspeed having a slightly tighter heel, and slightly more volume in the mid foot.

7 hours ago, Martin Marek said:

thanks for the reply.  what does tapered mean?  i think vapor line is thin in the heel.  

if i have 9.5 bauer supreme, i should get 10.0 Ribcore's right?  But also 9.5 New Tacks?  is that what you are saying?  that Ribcore and Jetspeeds would be 10, correct?  Is that Blades of steel logo?  Dude, what a great game!!!

Tapered is the fit. So since I came from a Vapor and was changing brands, I was looking for the similar design. In this case, CCM's Jetspeed is similar fitment to the Bauer Vapor. I believe Tacks are similar to Supreme and Ribcore to Nexus. I could be wrong about that though. 

I was 10D Vapor and 9.5 Jetspeed. 

And yes, that's Blades of steel. Loved that game as a kid. Somebody else on the forum has a Blades of Steel avatar as well.

You are wrong about Ribcore. they are miles different from a Nexus shape. They don't really follow any Bauer line, they are a shape on their own, the narrowest heel, forefoot and volume of the ccm lines. Have a look here under fit profile if you want to understand the different fit of ccm skates: http://ccmhockey.com/en/players/skates

And if you want a stiff ccm boot you either need to get Tacks or a customised / pro jetspeed / ribcore. Whilst the retail jetspeed is classsed as pro level stiffness, it is a soft boot. When I put a pair into my stretching jig the rear quarter deformed all over the place, MX3, apx, apx2, 1X, TO, NXG, One100's are miles stiffer then jetspeeds.

So, I am going to purchase new skates today, to replace my outgoing Reebok Ribcores.  The fit on those always felt better to me than any of the previous Reebok "K" series skates, due to the heel being slightly more narrow in the Ribcore.

So basically, the fit of the new CCM Ribcore is nothing like the last Reebok version?

I am going to try on every skate in the shop.  However, a starting point in CCM would be nice.  I am thinking the new Tacks? 

Sorry to hijack.  This thread just sparked my interest, and I didn;t see the need to start a new one.  Thanks!

CCM Ribcor has the same fit profile as the Reebok Ribcor.  If you fit well in the Reebok, then stick with the CCM Ribcor.

8 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

So, I am going to purchase new skates today, to replace my outgoing Reebok Ribcores.  The fit on those always felt better to me than any of the previous Reebok "K" series skates, due to the heel being slightly more narrow in the Ribcore.

So basically, the fit of the new CCM Ribcore is nothing like the last Reebok version?

I am going to try on every skate in the shop.  However, a starting point in CCM would be nice.  I am thinking the new Tacks? 

Sorry to hijack.  This thread just sparked my interest, and I didn;t see the need to start a new one.  Thanks!

The fit changed between the K series and Ribcor, it was the start of CCM offering 3 lines of skates with 3 different fits. The heel in Ribcors is narrower than the heel in the K series. If Ribcors fit you well then a good starting point would be them, Jetspeeds or vapours.

The ribcor is by far the narrowest, lowest volume skate, in CCMs line. I had an EE pair, albeit the 46k, and they were awful for my feet. I made the mistake of purchasing online based off some reviews and stores saying they were for a deep wide foot... 100% wrong..  

11 hours ago, boo10 said:

CCM Ribcor has the same fit profile as the Reebok Ribcor.  If you fit well in the Reebok, then stick with the CCM Ribcor.

Just a follow up, it's definitely not.

The CCM Ribcor, even in an EE width was far narrower than my Reebok Ribcor in a D width.  I tried both a half size up and half size down from my current skate to no avail.

That being said, the skate that fit the best out of the box, and an even better out of the oven was the outgoing Tacks skate. Fit reminded me of my Ribcor, just with a bit better wrap.  Much stiffer boot off the shelf though (Tacks).

Happy with my purchase. Very good deal from a smaller shop. Wore my Ribcor tonight. Will give the Tacks a go on Wednesday night.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

Just a follow up, it's definitely not.

The CCM Ribcor, even in an EE width was far narrower than my Reebok Ribcor in a D width.  I tried both a half size up and half size down from my current skate to no avail.

That being said, the skate that fit the best out of the box, and an even better out of the oven was the outgoing Tacks skate. Fit reminded me of my Ribcor, just with a bit better wrap.  Much stiffer boot off the shelf though (Tacks).

Happy with my purchase. Very good deal from a smaller shop. Wore my Ribcor tonight. Will give the Tacks a go on Wednesday night.

Thanks!

The info I provided comes straight from CCM and was confirmed by the product manager, who is a member of this forum.  Materials used can give an impression of a different fit between models in the same line, so maybe that's what you experienced.  The last generation Tacks are CCM's widest and deepest fit, so nowhere near the same as Reebok Ribcor.

Having said that, you found a skate you're happy with, and that's all that really matters.

JS,

Can a person still get custom CCM's made by getting fitted at a LHS? Specifically the Super Tacks skate? I watched the NYT video about making Tavares' skates and I didn't hear mention of it once. Thanks.

On 11/1/2016 at 5:57 PM, Jason said:

JS,

Can a person still get custom CCM's made by getting fitted at a LHS? Specifically the Super Tacks skate? I watched the NYT video about making Tavares' skates and I didn't hear mention of it once. Thanks.

They did mention custom skates for regular Joes in that video. The vibe from the guy that I caught was basically a no. The best way to get an answer for this, is to shoot  an email to their customer service. They respond to emails pretty good.

I actually thought CCM skates fit a half size larger to Bauer? For example the Euro size 44 (which I fit in a Bauer 1X) is a 8.5 in Bauer the CCM chart says their 9 is the equivalent of a euro 44.  

7 hours ago, SCATMAN said:

I actually thought CCM skates fit a half size larger to Bauer? For example the Euro size 44 (which I fit in a Bauer 1X) is a 8.5 in Bauer the CCM chart says their 9 is the equivalent of a euro 44.  

I would never go by this, though. Your foot may fit in Bauer and CCM differently. Unless you're buying like for like (Replacing Bauer Vapor with another pair of Bauer Vapor), you're best to just ignore sizes completely. Just buy what fits.

11 hours ago, SCATMAN said:

It depends which CCM skates you are looking at. For Tacks / Jetspeed / Ribcor models released late 2015? and then the ultra tacks - if you fit a size 8 Bauer then the equivalent CCM size would be 7.5. With the release of the super tacks and all future ccm models, the sizing will be the same as Bauer. eg I fit a 1s and a 1x size 6 and a Jetspeed 5.5 and a super tacks 6.

10 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

It depends which CCM skates you are looking at. For Tacks / Jetspeed / Ribcor models released late 2015? and then the ultra tacks - if you fit a size 8 Bauer then the equivalent CCM size would be 7.5. With the release of the super tacks and all future ccm models, the sizing will be the same as Bauer. eg I fit a 1s and a 1x size 6 and a Jetspeed 5.5 and a super tacks 6.

Fair enough. Thanks all. 

I was in a 9.5 EE     Bauer total one nxg. Went into my LHS to originally to get Bauer 1N skates, however after trying them on the heel pocket was to big for me. Tried must of been a 6 or 7 different models of skates. i like the fit of the ccm super tacks after trying on a 9.5ee was good but wasn't quite right. Then tried on a 10EE and was bang on perfect fit, felt exactly the same size as my NXG's. Spoke to a few hockey players who have come to the super tacks from bauers and all of them have been half a size bigger in ccm's ( e.g. bauer =9.5ee ccm 10 ee) 

hope this helps