Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caseyjones

grafs microns tuuk cobra - looking for opinions on preference

Asking for reccommendations on what I should do. 

Im a bit of a collector of skates. Love them for both fit and vanity reasons. My skates of choice are Graf 707/G7 and micron megas. Both fit great, but have drastically different holders. Specifically speaking Cobras and tuuk plus. I'm a decent skating beer leaguer and would like to be able to transition back and forth depending on what skates I feel like using on a particular night. 

I don't dislike the look or the pitch of the Cobras, but probably prefer the look of the tuuk. Only thing I don't love about the Cobras would be the steel. So I'm contemplating putting Tuuks on a few pairs of g7's I have. I'm hesitant to make a permanent change to the pitch of my skates and am somewhat concerned that the technology of the original Tuuks might be lacking. I'm not interested in profiling options as I don't trust local sharpeners but I also don't want to be a fish out of water when I decide to flip flop skates. 

So I'm just curious what others would do for any kind of reason whether performance, preference, aesthetics, etc...

should I throw Tuuks on my grafs to minimize the difference btwn transitioning? Should I keep the Cobras and buy step steel? Should I go for the classic look of the tuuk on my grafs? Should I utilize the technology of the cobra? 

I am a fan of Grafs, but I do not understand what does it mean when you say "technology of original Tuuks might be lacking" or  "should I utilize the technology of cobra". Quite honestly, I did not ever think of a hockey skate holder as something that has a technology.  I can see that Tuuk is a flimsy holder comparing to any Graf holder, but evidently, many see that as a feature. 

Yea, I guess that's where preference comes into play for that particular aspect. I've read all the threads regarding the holders and knew about the stiffness factor. I'm not sure a skater of my level is going to benefit much one way or the other from the stiffness. I just wonder with all the innovations and technological advances that have been made to the boot, that a holder made 25 years ago leaves no sacrifice. But then again, I guess that's all just preference? 

... if the only problem you have is steel quality on Graf runners, get an aftermarket such as Step and call it a day. You can move the same two runners from pair to pair.