Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyers10

Verbero Shield shoulder pads

3 hours ago, SuperCalo2000 said:

$120 for shoulder pads ? That's a tad steep. I'm assuming they are not too bulky. They do look cool.

Small company makes things cost more. Worth it if they're as comfortable as the old ferrell stuff was.

I've got a pair already and also one of the shirts with the kidney protection. Never used the original Farrells but was keen to try these when they came out so I ordered last week the day they dropped. I haven't played in them yet but just trying them on they definitely feel and look different to "normal" shoulder pads. 

They feel short, just like I read about the originals and the caps are fairly big, just like I also read about the originals. The fit is a bit loose but otherwise true to size. FYI - I'm comparing these against CCM U+ Pro, CL and Bauer Pro's (similar to old school Bauer 6000s)

The padded shirt is a different story. They fit big/loose/long. I'd recommend those considering the shirts to go a size down from their usual. I wasn't super impressed with the shirt to be honest. But I'll reserve all opinions until they have both seen a few skates. 

3 hours ago, SCATMAN said:

I've got a pair already and also one of the shirts with the kidney protection. Never used the original Farrells but was keen to try these when they came out so I ordered last week the day they dropped. I haven't played in them yet but just trying them on they definitely feel and look different to "normal" shoulder pads. 

They feel short, just like I read about the originals and the caps are fairly big, just like I also read about the originals. The fit is a bit loose but otherwise true to size. FYI - I'm comparing these against CCM U+ Pro, CL and Bauer Pro's (similar to old school Bauer 6000s)

The padded shirt is a different story. They fit big/loose/long. I'd recommend those considering the shirts to go a size down from their usual. I wasn't super impressed with the shirt to be honest. But I'll reserve all opinions until they have both seen a few skates. 

Where the shoulder pads fairly true to size? I have some old Winnwell shoulders that I'm looking to replace with these for lighter weight and such, but I haven't seen any sizing measurements.

Hi guys, for the new Shield line, we took the old Farrell pads and updated them with more lightweight and durable materials. We've also modified the foam shape to be lighter without sacrificing protection. In short, if you liked the old stuff you'll love the new pads. The sizing is exactly the same. 

We also updated the should caps to make them NHL legal. 

We are working on an updated size chart this week. 

These pads have had a lot of traction in the pro's so far this season, especially amongst goalies. 

5 hours ago, darkhors said:

Where the shoulder pads fairly true to size? I have some old Winnwell shoulders that I'm looking to replace with these for lighter weight and such, but I haven't seen any sizing measurements.

Yeah a little loose but true to size. If you want a tight fit and dont have broad shoulders I'd consider going a size down. Either size would be fine.

I'm fat so I might want to go a bit bigger. I'm 5'9 wearing an XL t-shirt. Chest is about a size 48, and I have my shirts made to have a belly of a size 50. 

Should I go L or XL?

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm fat so I might want to go a bit bigger. I'm 5'9 wearing an XL t-shirt. Chest is about a size 48, and I have my shirts made to have a belly of a size 50. 

Should I go L or XL?

I'm 6'1 with a 44-46 chest and got the XL. I think XL would be fine my friend :) 

These don't offer much in the way of belly protection though so you may need to add that on if its important. I'm planning to add some onto mine already. 

I messed around with mine to get a fit that I like. I removed the padding in the shoulder caps, lowered the shoulder caps down a line of squares from where the snap locks are securing them (they still held strong as there is velcro all over the place) this let the caps actually sit on my shoulders. I also did the velcro up at the front in a 'V' shape so that I had more room around my neck and clavicle (purely for comfort). 

It would have been great if there were more snap locks to secure the shoulders in place other than only in the default position but thats an easy fix.

In the change room they definitely felt short putting them on and I also felt they might ride up. But once playing you forget you're wearing them (and that they felt short) and I didn't feel them ride up.

I didn't take any hits or have a physical game at all (first game back after a break) so I cant comment on the protection yet.

All in all, fairly happy. Will be skating in these again and trying out the padded shirt. Or I might try to add some sort of belly and lower back protection. 

On 11/6/2016 at 11:20 PM, SuperCalo2000 said:

$120 for shoulder pads ? That's a tad steep. I'm assuming they are not too bulky. They do look cool.

Hardly ridiculous though, most mid range shoulders fall in to that price range

On 11/11/2016 at 6:32 AM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Hardly ridiculous though, most mid range shoulders fall in to that price range

I'm using the $30 Bauer Classics. If it isn't much bulkier than those and if these pads can keep me cool, it sounds more like something I would try even at that price. Competition and innovation is something I can always get behind. That's how I ended up getting the high end STX elbow pads. Those are also more than I usually spend on elbow pads and I'm happy I did.

2 hours ago, darkhors said:

I may be dumb, but I have no idea how to read that chart. What do the letters on the left represent? Inches, millimeters, centimeters???

They refer to the diagrams on the right side of the page. 

Would love to see Verbero make a jock like the old farrell ones with some blocks on the tailbone and maybe hip area to absorb some impact on falls to the ice without bulky high-end pants to take the brunt.

You mean this one? 

2ntiv86.jpg

These are great. I have to buy XL pants so that I have enough leg room for my knee braces that I wear under my pads. The additional padding on the hips and tailbone not only help with protection, but also help me with keeping my pants on! They also double up a jock, as its got a pocket that you can put your cup in. 

I did remove the padding on the thigh, unstitching it and then modifying my knee pads to add additional padding in the knee. 

Good thing I bought a couple of these back in the day. Would love to see them become available again.