Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyers10

Verbero Shield shoulder pads

I used those as a ref girdle for a couple years after picking up a pair for cheap on eBay and they were great. Very light and mobile with good protection, but after a while the elastic around the waist wore out and they'd want to slide down - they saw a lot of use though so getting two seasons out of them was good. I wish I would've picked up a few more when they were available in my size - by the time mine wore out only the smaller sizes were available online.

Right now I use a Valken Elite roller girdle - still light and mobile, but not quite as light as the Farrell pads. They do have a belt around the waist and some higher padding around the back and sides which offer a bit more protection. That one's been used about 5 years (2 for playing roller and 3 for reffing) does have some tears and seams splitting, but is still useable. I'm using the Tron version of this girdle to play roller and that's in great shape since I ref much more than I play.

I'm still using the Farrell H600 shoulder pads for ice hockey and they're going strong after 5 plus seasons. I'd certainly consider the Verbero Shields if I need to replace them someday - the crappy exchange rate and shipping costs would certainly add to the costs for Canadians, but hopefully those and other Verbero products will be available from Canadian dealers at some point.

i think it only makes sense for them to make a girdle. they are a player in the inline community, it surprises me that it wasn't one of their first releases in the line.

On 11/16/2016 at 0:14 AM, phantomowner27 said:

Size chart for the Shield products is now online: https://www.verbero.com/pages/size-chart

6'2, 215 lbs, somewhat athletic build, 46 inch chest, XL in CCM Crazy Lights and CCM RBZ 130s. Am I also an XL in your shoulder pads? I am skeptical that these measurements will lead me to a proper shoulder size. (measurements seem fine for a shirt)

On 11/26/2016 at 9:22 PM, Cosmic said:

6'2, 215 lbs, somewhat athletic build, 46 inch chest, XL in CCM Crazy Lights and CCM RBZ 130s. Am I also an XL in your shoulder pads? I am skeptical that these measurements will lead me to a proper shoulder size. (measurements seem fine for a shirt)

Im 6'1, 240lb and 44-46" chest (I wear XL crazy lights too!) I got the XL shoulders and they feel like the right size but are bit loose for my liking (not a deal breaker but something id need to get used to). If you want a tight fit I'd go the Large, there is a fair amount of adjustability in them and they stretch to fit. If I were to know what I know now I would have gotten a large. IMO.

If they fit anything like the older Farrell pads, then I would go with a large. I wear a large in the Farrell 600 shoulders and am 6'2 with a 44 inch chest. They fit very comfortably.

Dan Farrell designed these new pads and it looks like the block shape and some materials were updated; so they are probably lighter than his original design, but look like they would fit and feel similar.

On 11/10/2016 at 1:54 PM, SCATMAN said:

I messed around with mine to get a fit that I like. I removed the padding in the shoulder caps, lowered the shoulder caps down a line of squares from where the snap locks are securing them (they still held strong as there is velcro all over the place) this let the caps actually sit on my shoulders. I also did the velcro up at the front in a 'V' shape so that I had more room around my neck and clavicle (purely for comfort). 

It would have been great if there were more snap locks to secure the shoulders in place other than only in the default position but thats an easy fix.

In the change room they definitely felt short putting them on and I also felt they might ride up. But once playing you forget you're wearing them (and that they felt short) and I didn't feel them ride up.

I didn't take any hits or have a physical game at all (first game back after a break) so I cant comment on the protection yet.

All in all, fairly happy. Will be skating in these again and trying out the padded shirt. Or I might try to add some sort of belly and lower back protection. 

Mind sharing an updated review, after having skated in them a few months? And maybe a photo of your current setup of the pads? Thanks!

6 hours ago, roscoe6 said:

Mind sharing an updated review, after having skated in them a few months? And maybe a photo of your current setup of the pads? Thanks!

Yep, I can share that I'm not a fan and I'm no longer using them (shoulders or shirt). The changes/way I wore did make them very low profile, more comfortable and useable but their overall features and performance didn't win me over.

For me the pads felt too short, which I didn't like - They only covered my chest/pecks and shoulders. I've got a long torso though, so take that comment with a grain of salt.

For my level of play the protection offered was not suitable (I play in semi contact and full contact men's leagues). I caught a couple of stray pucks, went into the boards and had some minor contact with players, it felt like the blocks/padding didn't do much at all. The shoulder caps felt good though. 

I also got really hot in them (and I mean really hot!). I had to take them off mid way through a league game because they were soaked in sweat and didn't seem to breath or dissipate heat too well. Maybe this was a combo of the shoulder pads, Under Armour shirt (Purestrike) and rink temperature? Maybe not? I've not had that issue before with other pads.

Would I recommend these to anyone? Yes, casual players in any non contact, lower intensity league or anyone solely looking for some very mobile, low profile shoulder pads.

Final thoughts; As advertised these things were very low profile, super mobile and not restrictive of movement at all. If the protection was beefed up a bit and the breathing/heat dissipation improved I would give these a look again.

For me - I'm back into my usual rotation of CCM U+ Pro, CCM CL and Bauer SP6000/Pro stock. I find these to give me the right combo of fit, protection, low profile-ness.

I also provided this feedback to Verbero in December.

7 hours ago, SCATMAN said:

Would I recommend these to anyone? Yes, casual players in any non contact, lower intensity league or anyone solely looking for some very mobile, low profile shoulder pads.

in which case, there's more breathable and much cheaper options out there 

On 11/7/2016 at 3:22 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Small company makes things cost more. Worth it if they're as comfortable as the old ferrell stuff was.

No, the old Farrell were expensive to.  There are a lot of piece parts to assemble that design which is going to drive the cost up.

Most of Verbero's prices are killer deals.

13 hours ago, SCATMAN said:

Yep, I can share that I'm not a fan and I'm no longer using them (shoulders or shirt). The changes/way I wore did make them very low profile, more comfortable and useable but their overall features and performance didn't win me over.

I also provided this feedback to Verbero in December.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the honesty - and sorry it didn't turn out better for you! 

I play in a no contact league, but board play is allowed. And I managed to (accidentally) block a shot or two per game. I was hoping for something light, mobile, and breathable. Two guys on my team wear the old white Farrel foam pads, so I was hoping the new generation would be a good pick-up. Thanks for saving me $120.

I might go back to my original plan of getting a pair of mid-range, form-fitting pads, and removing the shoulder caps. Likely something from the Bauer Supreme lineup. 

Thanks again for your thoughts. 

I just want to reiterate that I think the Verbero Shoulders are actually a decent product - They are just not my choice due to preferences, play style and level of play. 

They have hands down the best flexibility out there and are some of the lowest fitting shoulders I have ever tried.

I bought these from Verbero during their Black Friday sale with the help of a fellow member (Stewie). I previously used the Farrell pads and the Verbero version fits the same, but feels lighter and the blocks are more resistant to compression when I squeeze them. So far, I am very happy.