Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nhockey

Lightweight Helmets

Last year my kids played in Easton 700 helmets with Bauer titanium cages. They really liked the weight of the helmets but the Giro fit system wasn't their favorite. Between Easton essentially going out of business and CCM providing a great fit both kids opted into a CCM helmet this year.

They dislike the weight, even with the titanium cages. Is anybody making an Easton 700 weight helmet? What little 700 stock we can find is aging and the association does indeed look at stickers on occasion. What is the lightest helmet out right now?

I have both Re-Akt w/Bauer Titanium Cage and E700 w/Bauer Titanium Cage in size Medium.

Re-Akt w/Bauer Titanium Cage: 732g

E700 w/Bauer Titanium Cage: 548g

E700 is way lighter and comfortable, but Re-Akt is perhaps the most comfortable helmet I've ever tried but not as light...

I just switched from an old Bauer 5000 after bouncing my head off the ice and cracking the shell and EPP foam to the new Bauer RE-AKT 75 and I couldn't be happier. I found it more comfortable than the RE-AKT 100 or original RE-AKT and it's currently the top rated helmet for preventing concussions by Virginia Tech.  Is it heavier than the E700 or the more expensive RE-AKT and RE-AKT 100, sure, but it's not like you're strapping a lead weight to your head either. Weight shouldn't really be a part of the discussion, it should be about which helmet provides the best fit and protection for your kids. 

If a helmet gives good protection and fit but weighs more than another helmet that gives the same protection and fit, why would you choose the heavier helmet?

So I'm just asking if there is a helmet that can approach the Easton 700 in weight. Of course weight is part of the conversation. It comes in right after function and fit but before price... 

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll see what I can find.