Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

Hockey pants with good hip / tailbone protection?

Howdy,

I currently use some Sherwood RM9 hockey pants.  Apparently they were a higher end pant from a while ago, I got them as a sorta pro-stock sale earlier this year for ~$40.  Mostly I like them fine, but I had a few falls to my hip and that started hurting.  They're also (now) maybe a touch loose on me (size Medium / 50), so I'm thinking about finding some new pants.  Feeling around on the pants, its like the hip padding in them doesn't go up far enough, and leaves the top of the hip more exposed?

Any recommendations for pants that have excellent padding for falls in particular?  Lighter wouldn't be a bad thing, but isn't the most critical.

I'd prefer stuff that's on clearance right now / will be for the holiday season, but that's not a strict requirement.

I've also tried Warrior Bonifide pants, but the tailbone protection seemed worse than the Sherwoods.

Mark

I have some Easton Pro 15s and they have a really good tailbone pad. They are heavy duty pants, so I wouldn't describe them as light, but I switched to them from a lightweight girdle setup and haven't noted any difference while playing. I LOVE these pants. I also used to wear some padded shorts under my girdle called crashpads which really helped on tailbone falls, but I have stopped since I switched to the Pro 15.

As specs78 wrote,  you cannot go wrong with the Easton pro15; also the Tackla 9000, Eagle x95, x88 give excellent tailbone protection. Not familiar with the newer lines of Eagle pants but they are on clearance as is the Easton.

Howdy,

Thanks!

Found some medium pro15s at Total with 25% off and only one Navy left in stock so I said the heck with it and pulled the trigger.  :-)  HockeyMonkey had them for $10 cheaper but only in red and I can't return them to the "local" store if I don't like them.  :-)

Mark

20 hours ago, AIREAYE said:

Bauer Nexus; specifically the Nexus 800. Used to be the Supreme One80 build.

I've been looking at the Bauer Nexus 1000 & 800... Do you feel their is a difference in fit between the 800 and 1000? Which would you choose out of these two and why?

-Thank you

3 hours ago, vsawchuk said:

I've been looking at the Bauer Nexus 1000 & 800... Do you feel their is a difference in fit between the 800 and 1000? Which would you choose out of these two and why?

-Thank you

Fit profile is the same, Nexus 1000 is just much bulkier than the 800. Vast majority of players, even those in high end minor hockey with contact, would be just fine in the 800.

I have been using the CCM Tacks 6052 pant, and was happy with the kidney/spine/hip protection they offered.  Wasn't crazy about the tailbone protection.  It felt like it sat higher up than is useful.  But my biggest complaint with them is the fit.  I'm a short/skinny dude. I'm CONSTANTLY adjusting them during games.  

I just bought the Bauer APX2 pants off hockeymonkey.  They are on super sale right now... I got a great deal on em.  They fit me like a glove, and the kidney/spine/hip protection is better than the 6052's.  Better yet, the tailbone protector is in a much better position.  

On 11/14/2016 at 10:48 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Thanks!

Found some medium pro15s at Total with 25% off and only one Navy left in stock so I said the heck with it and pulled the trigger.  :-)  HockeyMonkey had them for $10 cheaper but only in red and I can't return them to the "local" store if I don't like them.  :-)

Mark

Hey Mark,

How did those new pants work out?

Howdy,

2 hours ago, specs78 said:

Hey Mark,

How did those new pants work out?

I'll have to let you know after xmas... They turned into a self bought xmas present so I haven't even seen them in person yet.  :-)

Mark

Best tailbone protection I've ever seen in pants was the Easton EQ series. I hated the pants but the tailbone protection was fantastic. Kind of wish I'd cut it out so I could sew it into other pants. 

Since you mention Hip protection.   I would suggest to others to look at girdles.  I had really taken a beating on a couple of hip falls and what I found was that with a Bauer Girlde...the hip protection sat on me...right where I needed it to sit and it protects the bruised area.  Needless to say I think that I will be in a girdle for the fore-seeable future.

It's all personal preference. I have a Bauer  APX girdle which i like, but there are definitely a lot more gaps and the tailbone protection was non-existent compared to the Easton Pro 15 I went to. On the downside, I am sure  the Eastons weigh more, but they have a beastly level of padding from almost every angle and I don't notice any weight while playing. I am sure that some people out there would prefer the girdle, so to each their own. I seem to have stopped falling back on my ass as much as I used to, so who knows, maybe I will be back in the girdle at some point.

Howdy,

On 12/16/2016 at 4:24 PM, marka said:

I'll have to let you know after xmas... They turned into a self bought xmas present so I haven't even seen them in person yet.  :-)

Pickup in them today.  First impression certainly falls into the "Tank-Like" genre!  :-)  As compared to the Sherwood RM9's, they have much thicker thigh pads in particular and are a good bit stiffer around.  Tailbone protection is a bit better, but similar.  Hip protection seems better too, but its not such a huge difference like the thigh pads are.

Also a good bit stiffer in terms of sitting on the bench, which also translates to the room they take up in my bag.  Pretty heavy as well.

I didn't notice the stiffness or weight when skating.  I'm thinking they might break in a bit over time which will be welcome but even if they don't, not really a big deal.

So far I like them a lot.  Thanks all for the recommendation!

Mark