Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DumpBees

Stick Advice?

I am looking for advice on a new stick. I have been spending loads of time researching this year's top of the line sticks from Bauer, CCM, Warrior, True, etc. I am having difficulty deciding on a stick. I am an offensive defenseman, 5 7' and 160 lbs. I play in a competitive men's senior league (full contact). Most of the shots I take in game are from the point, dragging the puck to the middle and taking a quick snap shot or quick slap shot. My game is also heavily revolved around crisp hard passes.

My most recent sticks of have been Reebok Ribcor (1st generation), Supreme One95, and the original Easton Stealth. As you can see I am not very hard on stick as they last me quite awhile. My favorite of the three was probably the Supreme One95, I am not crazy about my Ribcor.

I am not sure if I should go with a low kick point (i.e. Bauer Vapor 1X) or mid kick point stick (ie Bauer Vapor 1S).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Honestly, I would really recommend the Xcore9 from True. As a guy who plays both forward and defense when needed, the Xcore can make and receive passes like no other stick I've used. It has that wood like feel that just absorbs the puck when receiving a pass and can really fire a pass when needed. Also, for slapshots, the insert in the blade helps to keep the puck on the blade a hair longer and I feel like my slappers are heavier shots than with other sticks. I'm currently going to be trying out the QRL Pro, but I feel like even if I like that stick, it will only be used when I'm playing forward and I'll revert back to my True when I play defense. I also have the True A6.0 and I prefer the Xcore on D. The Xcore is a variable kick point based on your lower hand placement so it will flex appropriately based on where your lower hand it when you flex it.

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, DumpBees said:

I am looking for advice on a new stick. I have been spending loads of time researching this year's top of the line sticks from Bauer, CCM, Warrior, True, etc. I am having difficulty deciding on a stick. I am an offensive defenseman, 5 7' and 160 lbs. I play in a competitive men's senior league (full contact). Most of the shots I take in game are from the point, dragging the puck to the middle and taking a quick snap shot or quick slap shot. My game is also heavily revolved around crisp hard passes.

My most recent sticks of have been Reebok Ribcor (1st generation), Supreme One95, and the original Easton Stealth. As you can see I am not very hard on stick as they last me quite awhile. My favorite of the three was probably the Supreme One95, I am not crazy about my Ribcor.

I am not sure if I should go with a low kick point (i.e. Bauer Vapor 1X) or mid kick point stick (ie Bauer Vapor 1S).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

One95 was a favorite of mine for sure.  Mid Kick just works so very well in many situations.  It's the swiss army knife of flex profiles.  

After reading a few threads it seems like alot of people believe that last year's 1N is the best Bauer stick as of lately. I am not brand loyal, I simply want the stick that will benefit my game the most. Starting to think I might give last years 1N a shot since it'll be going on clearance everywhere

What other recent sticks have you used besides the The True XCore9? I might start with the 1N if I can find one on sale, 300 dollars for the XCore9 seems pretty steep for a stick that I've only heard average reviews about. 

If you don't like the Ribcor, It's probably better to stay away from the low kick sticks. 

For me, I've been experimenting with a variety of sticks lately. Here are my thoughts on the ones I have that aren't low-kick.

CCM Speedburner. It's variable kick point, but for me it feels more like mid-kick. Lots of pop off the blade. There's no foam in the blade so it's like a trampoline. The draw back is you might lose a bit of a feel for the puck. For me I go used to it.

CCM Tacks 4052 - I liked the feel of the puck on the blade and the way the stick felt when I flexed it.  It was a solid stick all around, but nothing stood out either way,

Of the ones that were low-kick

Easton Stealth 7.0 - Super light stick. Liked my slapshots with it, but didn't like the way my snap and wrist shots felt. 

Warrior QR1 - This is my favorite brand. Warrior sticks tend to feel a bit more whippy, which is great for me. I can get my snap and wrist shots off really quick with this. Not the greatest for slapshots. 

Any way hope this helps a little. 

1 hour ago, DumpBees said:

What other recent sticks have you used besides the The True XCore9? I might start with the 1N if I can find one on sale, 300 dollars for the XCore9 seems pretty steep for a stick that I've only heard average reviews about. 

1N is a great stick for sure.  If you are looking for X-Core keep an eye out for sales and Black Friday sales... X-Core will be new in March and I am sure you will see sales on the 1st gen.  The marketplace is flooded with sticks right now,  so even if you are only spending $150 you should find plenty of great mid flex options.

7 minutes ago, Zac911 said:

1N is a great stick for sure.  If you are looking for X-Core keep an eye out for sales and Black Friday sales... X-Core will be new in March and I am sure you will see sales on the 1st gen.  The marketplace is flooded with sticks right now,  so even if you are only spending $150 you should find plenty of great mid flex options.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jump on HockeyMonkey clearance section. You can buy 2 for the same price as a brand new stick.
Pick 2 you think you will like, play around with with both then either keep the second for a backup or sell it 

One more suggestion to add confusion but the Warrior Dynasty HD1 stick will play the closest to the ONE95 in terms of kick point and blade feel. It's definitely a good time to buy a twig as mentioned previously, especially from a clearance selection. Best of luck!

11 hours ago, Zac911 said:

There is also the XCore 7 ($135 at IW in Senior) and XCore 5  ($100 at IW in Senior) if the $225 for the XC9 is too much. 

11 hours ago, BucksAway said:

Jump on HockeyMonkey clearance section. You can buy 2 for the same price as a brand new stick.
Pick 2 you think you will like, play around with with both then either keep the second for a backup or sell it 

x2

And with their 35% off clearance sale going on right now, prices are crazy on last year's sticks.

Just went to a local shop and I know the owner, He let me play around in the shop with one of the brand new unreleased 2017 Nexus 1N's. It felt amazing, I usually use a 77 flex, and I picked up an 87 flex and I have to say it was easier to load up on than any of my recent 77 flex sticks. The next best feeling stick in the store was the new 1X.

I know this is no indication of how they're going to perform on the ice but I am starting to lean towards the new Nexus, it also looks amazing. I wish there would have been a XCore 9 in the store to compare to.

Interesting you should say that about the 1N considering most people think that the Nexus line plays stiffer than other sticks with similar kick points and same flex rating.

I've been using my CCM 6092 for ~6 months now.

So far it has been fantastic! There's good puck feel, good durability, etc.

After 6 months though, I am honestly waiting for it to break. My last stick (Warrior HD1 and AX1 ST before that) broke around this mark, but so far the CCM has kept up and stayed in one piece.

There is minor chipping on the toe, but I am always sure to tape that part up to prevent it from getting any further along.

I do have a TRUE 4.5 SBP (Mid kick stick $139) on the way that I am eagerly awaiting to try out. Especially now that I have TRUE gloves, haha 

I am a stickler for matching gear when I can, also, I have heard GREAT things about the TRUE line of sticks, especially as they are becoming more mainstream now.

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

There is also the XCore 7 ($135 at IW in Senior) and XCore 5  ($100 at IW in Senior) if the $225 for the XC9 is too much. 

That XC7 is actually one of my dealers best selling sticks.  

2 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Interesting you should say that about the 1N considering most people think that the Nexus line plays stiffer than other sticks with similar kick points and same flex rating.

All I had to compare to were the CCM sticks, and the 1N felt much better to me. I was goofing around with a QRL too, I know its a low kick point but it was incredibly stiff compared to all the Bauer sticks 1X, 1S, 1N. I'd love to try out a Warrior Dynasty HD1 if I can track one down though.

What is your preferred twig?

Like you I play defense, and I occasionally play forward.  Slap shot power is very important to me, as well as the sticks ability to receive high speed passes.

I've recently used:  XCore 9, STX Stallion, 1S, 1X, Super Tacks, QRL, and Ribcore Reckoner.  My current stick, although it's on its say out, is the 1N.

The 1N plays stiffer than the XCore, Stallion, Tacks, and Ribcore.  Its also very durable.  Blade is very stiff as well.

I preferred the Xcore, Tacks, and Ribcore to the 1N.  My shot was simply harder with those sticks.  I don't get the same slap shot power with the low kick 1X and QRL.

That said, my recommendation would be to find your flex and curve in the Hockey Monkey clearance section right now, and get in on their 35% off.  I just bought an EK15 for $97.

12 minutes ago, Mattc555 said:

Like you I play defense, and I occasionally play forward.  Slap shot power is very important to me, as well as the sticks ability to receive high speed passes.

I've recently used:  XCore 9, STX Stallion, 1S, 1X, Super Tacks, QRL, and Ribcore Reckoner.  My current stick, although it's on its say out, is the 1N.

The 1N plays stiffer than the XCore, Stallion, Tacks, and Ribcore.  Its also very durable.  Blade is very stiff as well.

I preferred the Xcore, Tacks, and Ribcore to the 1N.  My shot was simply harder with those sticks.  I don't get the same slap shot power with the low kick 1X and QRL.

That said, my recommendation would be to find your flex and curve in the Hockey Monkey clearance section right now, and get in on their 35% off.  I just bought an EK15 for $97.

Out of your preferred sticks, which was your absolute favourite? Would you recommend I go up in flex?

I loved the Ribcore Reckoner.  Great at everything.  I was really blown away.  Thinking about it now makes me want to purchase one.  The stick simply loads so well for both snap and slap shots.

If I bought another 1N I would go down to a 77 flex from an 87.  The Ribcore in an 85 was perfect.  Stallion, XCore, Super Tacks, and Ribcore all had similar stiffness.

1X, QRL, 1S, and 1N felt stiff for their rating.