Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yan

regular sharpening over z channel

I got a z channel sharpening by mail and now I want to get a regular sharpening at a local store.  I have the 1/2" equivalent z channel and I think if I tell the local sharpener to do a 1/2" ROH on top of that then there might be too much grip.  Should I ask for a shallower ROH to account for the remnants of the z channel?  What ROH + remnants of a z channel would result in a 1/2" ROH?

Why would you want remnants of a z channel sharpening combined with a ROH? Just ask for your normal ROH, the sharpener should cross grind until a witness mark can be achieved then finish with the ROH. There shouldn't be any z channel left. 

Crossgrind, just had it done today. Love the zchannel but I've had a tendency of the edge going on me way too quickly and usually in the same spot. Will stick with the zchannel profile but a regular sharpening.

2 hours ago, the_game said:

Crossgrind, just had it done today. Love the zchannel but I've had a tendency of the edge going on me way too quickly and usually in the same spot. Will stick with the zchannel profile but a regular sharpening.

Sounds like a misaligned holder or possible bend for that to happen in the same spot.

52 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Sounds like a misaligned holder or possible bend for that to happen in the same spot.

I didn't even think of that, just thought it was a by product of the actual channel. I did have tuuks put on, going to have to get them inspected. Really appreciate that heads up and recommendation!