Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GregHenn19

Does anyone else Feel The same Way?

On 2016-11-25 at 8:05 PM, Larry54 said:

If you mean that today's fit player is thinner than the average person, you might have a point since obesity is worse among the general population than it's ever been.

What i meant was, that hockey aint just the "big guys" game any more.. Smaller and thinner guys can now compete because of the tougher rules against holdings, hookings and so on..

So the really big guys is not guaranteed to play anymore just because of their physique like is was in the 80's and 90's, when hitting and playing dirty was just as important as scoring goals.. 

Sure, players now are better conditioned, having better muscle/fat ratio, but the "BIG" guys with a big frame is gone, and since the dinosaurs are gone, so are the the gear.. Fully understandable, so who can blaim the manufacturers..

On 11/25/2016 at 1:40 PM, OzziesDad said:

One thing I will add in regards to sticks, I feel like the options and quality of the 150.00(give or take a few bucks) price point sticks is a lot better than it was for mid range sticks 10 years ago.

Say what you will in regards to the technology and advancement of sticks in general in the last decade.  As well as the direction, technology, and price of top of the line models.   However, you weren't getting near as good a stick at that middle tier back then as you do now.

As someone who for years generally went the whole buy a top end on clearance route.  If I can't get the flex, curve, and preferred kick point on a clearance model, I won't hesitate to look into True, STX, or Warriors (just example of sticks I have used and really liked) mid tier lineups for something I like.

Lots of good to be had for most beer leaguers in the 100.00-160.00 MSRP range nowadays.  I generally didn't feel that way with those price points 10 years ago.

I couldn't agree more. I remember the days of the Easton Havoc and the TPS Intrigue. $149 sticks are fantastic these days and will suit most beer leaguers. I was referring more to the high end sticks when talking about the lack of innovation. 

On 11/25/2016 at 1:40 PM, OzziesDad said:

One thing I will add in regards to sticks, I feel like the options and quality of the 150.00(give or take a few bucks) price point sticks is a lot better than it was for mid range sticks 10 years ago.

Say what you will in regards to the technology and advancement of sticks in general in the last decade.  As well as the direction, technology, and price of top of the line models.   However, you weren't getting near as good a stick at that middle tier back then as you do now.

As someone who for years generally went the whole buy a top end on clearance route.  If I can't get the flex, curve, and preferred kick point on a clearance model, I won't hesitate to look into True, STX, or Warriors (just example of sticks I have used and really liked) mid tier lineups for something I like.

Lots of good to be had for most beer leaguers in the 100.00-160.00 MSRP range nowadays.  I generally didn't feel that way with those price points 10 years ago.

Definitly some excellent value in that price range.

The advances in tech, access to materials as well as the refinement of manufacturing processes has been a key component to that. 

20 hours ago, swede said:

What i meant was, that hockey aint just the "big guys" game any more.. Smaller and thinner guys can now compete because of the tougher rules against holdings, hookings and so on..

So the really big guys is not guaranteed to play anymore just because of their physique like is was in the 80's and 90's, when hitting and playing dirty was just as important as scoring goals.. 

Sure, players now are better conditioned, having better muscle/fat ratio, but the "BIG" guys with a big frame is gone, and since the dinosaurs are gone, so are the the gear.. Fully understandable, so who can blaim the manufacturers..

And yet the average size of an NHL player has not changed from 1998 to 2015. Average height is the exact same and average weight is only down about 4 pounds. There are still plenty of big bodies out there.

20 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

And yet the average size of an NHL player has not changed from 1998 to 2015. Average height is the exact same and average weight is only down about 4 pounds. There are still plenty of big bodies out there.

I wouldn't put much stock into the "official" height and weight listings of players.  I have a number of friends that played in the NHL in the 90's and 00's.  Every single one of them that was below average in height and weight had their numbers inflated by an inch or two and 10-15 pounds.  It's not uncommon for a guy that is 5'10" / 170 to be listed at 6' / 180.

I'm not even sure why this is a discussion point. I don't think too many retail equipment lines are based off NHL needs, as they will mostly be going custom anyways. NHL rules have very little to nothing to do with retail equipment lines.

We've gone off on a bit of a tangent. That said, the average size of Joe beer league and the like, otherwise known as the retail consumer hasn't shrunk.