Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

i had the same question.. how do you move around, as a goalie in non goalie skates with cowlings? more ankle support.. but maybe less mobility? nice conversion though!

but ...what i'm wondering is..

where are the goalie pads? lol

To answer the barrage of questions... heh.

They are indeed Mission pro stocks .

IIRC, they're pro stocks.

Nice look with the Flexlites. Don't see many tenders with cowled forward skates. Going for extra ankle support and more volume?

Exactly - I couldn't find a goalie skate that offered either. Now, the really crazy part is that the Flexlites are neither deep enough nor wide enough in the forefoot for me - I'm stretch them laterally with a heat-gun, and I'm trying to pull the instep higher with webbing and more heat.

I have never seen tendies skates like that...ever. Never even heard of it. Does it really make a difference?

A huge difference - the difference between me not being able to walk for two weeks after a hard skate, or playing basically pain-free for the first time in two years.

The guy who originally did it (or so the story goes ) was John McLeod, the inventor of the OverDrive blade. I've since met him a couple of times, and he's using Micron 10-90s in Bauer cowlings. Corey Wogtech has apparently dabbled with it too, as has Jerret 'the other JR' Rooney. .

How the hell do you play goal with that deep of a skate? Nice cowlings though, couldn't have made a better choice there.

The scary thing is, the Flexlites are actually significantly too shallow for me. Still they're better than the Daousts.

I love the cowlings, but I still mis the 9K steel that an idiot sharpener destroyed (though, to be fair, his shop replaced them with what they had - 5K/V6.0 regular-width runners. Same steel, not tapered. If I ever have to buy replacements (this stuff lasts for bloody ever), it'll be 9K steel.

i had the same question.. how do you move around, as a goalie in non goalie skates with cowlings? more ankle support.. but maybe less mobility? nice conversion though!

but ...what i'm wondering is..

where are the goalie pads? lol

I actually find I have way more mobility. Every time I plant an edge, I get fantastic drive. I've probably never skated this well in my life.

The goalie pads are in the basement, since I figured I shouldn't be posting more than the toes in a Players' Gear thread. :)

I was thinking about it the other day, but if you play a modern style butterfly, you could probably pull it off better than if you were to play hybrid.

Hell, when I got taught to play goal, it was 100% standup (admittedly, my teams never had goalie coaches). It's only been in the last few years I started taking private coaching in the newer techniques. I still play a pretty scrambly, hybrid style, and I've found that stiffer, higher skates make a huge improvement there too.

I have to say, though, the conversion process was a huge pain in the ass -- I mean like trying to pick a lock with a wet herring. It had all the annoyances of swapping holders (hole overlap, mismatched pitches, all that fun stuff), and the added benefits of working blind and in cramped quarters inside the cowling. That, and player boots never, EVER match cowlings in pitch, no matter how much you shim the heel or toe, so I had to spend hours finding the best balance before starting to drill blindly through the cowling.

Still, I can't argue with the result, since those skates will be the only things that keep me playing hockey.

Edited by Law Goalie

I guess it would be fine in a hybrid style, especially if you lace them looser. The deep knee bend is a must, side to side stability wouldn't hurt. I'd imagine the tendon guard might get in the way though.

If you like them, that's what matters!

Tight as a drum, actually - though using Bushwalk Lacing, so it doesn't bite as much. The plastic insert in the tongue of the Flexlites lets me put a lot of pressure forward and flex the skate pretty well without much strain. It seems to give me a lot more power. Tendon guard has yet to be a problem, though I have started putting my lower calf strap inside it, just in case.

I love 'em: worth every hour of cursing and sweating over the bench-vice and drill-press in my in-laws' basement. :)

Edited by Law Goalie

ridiculously bad quality...

013008_22311.jpg

013008_22321.jpg

013008_22331.jpg

Hey Pat, where in WMass are you? I saw that Savard stick @bertelli's right?

Ya I'm from Chicopee and got it at Bertelli's? where are you from?

New mitts: :)

newccmgloves.jpg

newccmgloves2.jpg

I know I've said I am not a fan of the new space-aged design, and that I like the Traditional...but these are nice. Not AS spacey as the One90's...IMHO!

I liked them but the fingers were just too short and the cuff was too big for my taste. Not a glove that you want to get if you're wanting a 14" glove cuff but your fingers are at the limit of 14" in NBH gloves. I had no option but to use 15"

Some of us like having gaps between our gloves and elbow pads. :ph34r:

I liked them but the fingers were just too short and the cuff was too big for my taste. Not a glove that you want to get if you're wanting a 14" glove cuff but your fingers are at the limit of 14" in NBH gloves. I had no option but to use 15"

Some of us like having gaps between our gloves and elbow pads. :ph34r:

The fingers are fine length wise...but they feel very snug across the top of the hand...I think 15's would have been way to sloppy though.

Some other people like slashing that gap *L*

Believe me, I know. I get bruises all the time, luckily they are normally deep(some are bone bruises) so they don't really leave a mark, although they swell.

ridiculously bad quality...

013008_22311.jpg

013008_22321.jpg

013008_22331.jpg

Hey Pat, where in WMass are you? I saw that Savard stick @bertelli's right?

Ya I'm from Chicopee and got it at Bertelli's? where are you from?

East longmeadow

Finally got my Warrior/MIA

Went to see Shawn at the shop and i have the exact copy of kovalchuk glove minus the split locked thumb.

And i have puted CKT for my wife and 2 sons initials.And 19 cause its my number :P

gant002ok6.th.jpg

gant003lt9.th.jpg

gant004eg7.th.jpg

78439461hu4.jpg

haha i use the same shoulders

Best shoulders ever made . . . Right?!

I'm actually looking to upgrade to an old school pair of jofas, just not in much of a hurry. I used them in highschool and should have never gotten rid of them.

i have been using mine since i was about 10, and i'm 20 now i'm shocked they still fit

That's hilarious man.

They offer so much protection. . . there's really no reason to get rid of them. They are the perfect shoulder pad.