Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krisdrum

Can't decide, right or left... hockey for dumbies

I'm at a crossroads.  I just can't decide what side of my body to shoot on or which part of the stick my dominant hand should be on. 

Grew up playing the occasional street hockey game with my buddies, most folks at that time in US were right hand shots (dominant hand on bottom).  Fast forward 30 years to learning to skate and play a bit as an adult.  The philosophy on handedness seems to have changed.  Most players now shoot lefty (dominant hand on top). 

I've been trying both.  My shooting is far stronger and more accurate (for me) with my dominant hand (right) doing the pushing to flex and drive the stick.  My stick handling is far more fluid and natural (again, for me) with my dominant hand on top controlling the stick.  To make things maybe a bit more confusing, I am somewhat ambidextrous from playing drum set for 30+ years.  Granted, that coordination for the most part is different and much smaller in nature, but could be a factor. 

So, what is "easier" to work on so I can even out the proficiency and stop flip-flopping?  Stick-handling muscle coordination or shooting technique?  I'm leaning towards sticking with dominant on top and re-programming the body to shoot lefty, and accepting there will be a big "I suck" transition period, but I am really not sure if that is the right choice.  I just know that if I want to get better, I need to pick a side and stick with it. 

This is all stemming from a friendly pick-up game on Sunday with my son and some of his 6 y.o. teammates, my nephew (13), some of our club's junior players (18-20), and some coaches/dads (old-ish, like me) and clearly being outclassed by everyone on the ice.  I knew I didn't stand a chance against the older/more experienced players, but a first grader?  Ouch. 

I would say it comes down to how you play, and what skills you use the most.  Do you play forward where you need to dangle through traffic?  Do you take a lot of big shots?  Do you play defense where you will play with one hand on your stick a lot?  Do you need to have the ability to make hard, accurate passes, particularly long ones?

You clearly understand what the strengths of where you place your dominant hand are.  What you have to do is decide which of those strengths suit your game the best.  You could switch sides to get better puck control, but are you going to also have to learn to adjust the way you play and what you do naturally to compensate, as well as relearning muscle mechanics?

Thanks, never really thought about some of those factors.  Was really thinking more about "evening out my skills".  At this point I am not playing any position, but I definitely think I am more defensively minded.  I played defense in soccer growing up and although was fast and was put up at forward for a bit, never really felt comfortable there.  I much preferred to use my speed to shut down an oncoming attack.  So I can definitely see that having the potential to translate over to the ice. 

And I should have mentioned I was playing "right bottom" on Sunday and was good with the easier/out-in-front of me plays, but struggled when the puck got too close and needed more stick handling skills.

Just to take it a bit further, and to make sure I have it clear in my mind...

Forward: probably better to have dominant hand on top and re-learn to shoot, as stick-handling skills will be more critical

Defense: probably better to have dominant hand on bottom and work on left hand control of stick, as shooting/passing power/accuracy and a strong stick are more needed.

Do I have that right?

One random thought. There always seem to be a lot more lefty sticks out there on sale. I started out on my left and switched to right. I kind of wish I would have stuck with lefty sticks.

My thoughts are this. It's probably easier to strengthen your non-dominant hand for better shooting than to train it to be more coordinated for stick handling. Now, it might be different for you because you did play a little when you were young and you already have coordination in that hand from drums.

Do you play other sports? I play a little golf, and I'm a lefty in golf which is what I am in hockey. The thing is in baseball I started off batting right, but now I can switch hit. 

You might also want to consider whether you're stronger skating and generating speed going to your left or right. It's a big advantage to have the same hand on top as your dominant skating side, which, I believe, is why left shots were traditionally more common , since most people are right-handed and also stronger skating to that side. So, it might depend on whether you think it will be easier for you to develop a shot on your weaker (hand) side or to improve your skating to your stronger (hand) side.

There's so many things to consider here, but I'll throw in a couple thoughts.  When you shovel snow (or dirt) how do you hold the shovel?  Also, it's a fallacy that your shot power comes from the bottom hand.  I'll save the discussion on shooting mechanics for another day, but suffice to say that your shot power comes from a combination of both hands, torso, legs and weight shift.  Depending on the type of shot, (snap shot for example) you actually generate more power from the top hand via the wrist flick.  I've proven this to people by shooting with the bottom hand only having the pinky finger touching the stick for control.

Your strong hand should be the top hand (the one holding the handle)...

I can tell you that there are WAY more righties than lefties out there for whatever reason... My son is a 12 yo peewee AA and every time I'm at the rink, I look at all the sticks outside of locker room(s) and I can tell you there are at least 75% right handed sticks vs 25% left handed sticks. And this is at every single rink I've been to...

When both my kids started playing, I only bought them left handed sticks, regardless what their dominant hand was. I write with my right and play with a lefty stick and so do both my kids. All I can say is that I'm so glad they both play with lefties, otherwise their teams would have barely any left handed players.

In the old days, most players were lefties, because they believed that the strong hand (typically the right) should be at the top holding the stick...

2 minutes ago, Coldclay said:

In the old days, most players were lefties, because they believed that the strong hand (typically the right) should be at the top holding the stick...

In the current days too, because they are correct. Dominant hand on top. Usually will see that in Canada and for some reason in the US kids are taught to play dominant hand on the bottom. (Subject to exceptions obviously)

thats much easier for kids than for adults though. 

Awesome, thanks guys.  You've confirmed my thinking.  Much appreciated. 

I am definitely dominant right side.  I write, play tennis, bat, kick, etc. much more comfortably with my right hand.  I can shovel and sweep either way, but naturally go to right hand on top as my default.  Definitely more comfortable balancing on my left and pushing or turning with my right while skating.

Funny, my brother-in-law (an accomplished player) and his son (13, AAA Bantam) both play dominant hand down, just where they are more comfortable, and I know they've worked hard to bring that left hand up to speed for handling.

And yes, having more lefty sticks on clearance typically isn't a bad thing either.  Heck, both the lefty sticks I have I paid less than $30 for. 

Looks like I'll focus on lefty and work on shot mechanics.  LOTS of work to do.