Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Good alternative to the P28?

What would be a good alternative to the P28 for someone who plays forward, takes 70 percent snap shots, 20 percent wrist and 10 slap? I'm currently using a P28 and have bounced back and forth between that and the P88/92 even trying a PM9 along the way. My shots are hard with the P28 but given the technique required to properly use it my release is slower and I seem to be hunting cross bars and top corners with it. I regularly use a backhand shot and pass and like to pick low spots at times too. 

PM9 was nice but I needed more toe, P88 has been good but shot velocity seems to die a bit and I'm either shooting high or low. Something about the P92 doesn't feel as comfortable in terms of all around play. I've used it a lot but the lie seems off and I find myself thinking a lot more than I should for passes. I am looking for a stick that I don't have to think about. The P28 has worked the best out of the bunch so far. 

It's almost the same as the PM9. It's rockered at the toe, like the P28, just not as drastically, so it doesn't present that dead-flutter zone that the P28 does if you release the puck on the edge of the flat portion and the beginning of the toe rocker. The toe rocker on the P46 makes it come up higher than the PM9 from 2/3 of the blade length from heel to toe, but very subtly. The heel lie profile is pretty much identical to the PM9: more gradually rounded rather than buzzed flat like the P28. It's an awesome curve.

18 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

What would be a good alternative to the P28 for someone who plays forward, takes 70 percent snap shots, 20 percent wrist and 10 slap? I'm currently using a P28 and have bounced back and forth between that and the P88/92 even trying a PM9 along the way. My shots are hard with the P28 but given the technique required to properly use it my release is slower and I seem to be hunting cross bars and top corners with it. I regularly use a backhand shot and pass and like to pick low spots at times too. 

PM9 was nice but I needed more toe, P88 has been good but shot velocity seems to die a bit and I'm either shooting high or low. Something about the P92 doesn't feel as comfortable in terms of all around play. I've used it a lot but the lie seems off and I find myself thinking a lot more than I should for passes. I am looking for a stick that I don't have to think about. The P28 has worked the best out of the bunch so far. 

FWIW, I saw that the E3 (P92 equivalent) has only 1.5 inches of blade on the ice at a time. This may be why it seems challenging:

I use P88 with same type of results as you are getting. The nice thing is that there is always so much blade on the ice, for catching passes especially and pickup up loose pucks, it is like a stick with training wheels. But, as in riding a bike, I find the large amount of blade always on the ice to be a liability, especially when shooting.

I saw that True is bringing back a toe curve that has a more polite face than the P28- I think TC3 or 2 or 2.5? I cannot recall- that might be the answer.

I am in the same boat as you, except that I have been "STX'ed" by the RX2 shaft geometry- I cannot see using anything else after this- again, training wheels (so easy to control the stick) except without any discernible liability. So, I will be giving the X28 a try. If I just end up sniping bars and corners, well, there could be worse, I suppose.

35 minutes ago, flip12 said:

It's almost the same as the PM9. It's rockered at the toe, like the P28, just not as drastically, so it doesn't present that dead-flutter zone that the P28 does if you release the puck on the edge of the flat portion and the beginning of the toe rocker. The toe rocker on the P46 makes it come up higher than the PM9 from 2/3 of the blade length from heel to toe, but very subtly. The heel lie profile is pretty much identical to the PM9: more gradually rounded rather than buzzed flat like the P28. It's an awesome curve.

If I am skating down the ice and about to shoot in stride I put the puck on my toe for the snapshot so I tend to connect mid blade toe. there are also times however where I'm reaching for a Pok that's further away and I will pull off a wrist shot but the Puck maybe mid blade and the focus for me is to get the shot off hard and quick. other times if I'm hanging out at the back door and someone sends me a Pass that I just want to bang in I can't always do that with a P28... it's like that curve requires you to acquire the puck, tip hands and make sure it's on the toe and THEN shoot. don't get me wrong I love the P 28 but there are sometimes when it really screws me over in gamedon't get me wrong I love the P 28 but there are sometimes when it really screws me over in game

35 minutes ago, flip12 said:

If I am skating down the ice and about to shoot in stride I put the puck on my toe for the snapshot so I tend to connect mid blade toe. there are also times however where I'm reaching for a Pok that's further away and I will pull off a wrist shot but the Puck maybe mid blade and the focus for me is to get the shot off hard and quick. other times if I'm hanging out at the back door and someone sends me a Pass that I just want to bang in I can't always do that with a P28... it's like that curve requires you to acquire the puck, tip hands and make sure it's on the toe and THEN shoot. don't get me wrong I love the P 28 but there are sometimes when it really screws me over in gamedon't get me wrong I love the P 28 but there are sometimes when it really screws me over in game

1 hour ago, 60PlusWinger said:

other times if I'm hanging out at the back door and someone sends me a Pass that I just want to bang in I can't always do that with a P28... it's like that curve requires you to acquire the puck, tip hands and make sure it's on the toe and THEN shoot. 

If you have the hand eye coordination (which I do not) to bang the puck off the heel with your hands normally positioned, OR off the toe with your hands tilted forward, then will the one timer work, in the position that you are describing (on the back door, puck coming across that you want to bang home fast)?

Funny, I saw some highlights recently of exactly this- of NHL guys- catching on the heel in close, tilting hands, then firing off the toe, and I thought, "Dual lie, likely E28/ seems so inefficient but the guys are scoring goals at the highest level so there must be something to it, even with the delay- maybe I should give it a try?"

These highlights were not of dual lie/ E28 etc. with Scott Bjugstadt commentating- these were just regular old NHL announcers who do not see these mechanics or are not familiar with them anyway- they just think, and call these types of plays- wrist shots- even though the puck is clearly just being catapulted and not traveling from heel to mid to toe then launching.

I have been thinking alot too- can you catch passes on the toe of the E28, if you press down hard enough and tilt the hands forward? And then, shoot immediately after the catch, for the type of play of catching a pass coming across the center line, and being on the off hand? (righty shooter on LW or vice versa) - Obviously with a very hard pass this might not work, but strong guy, medium hardness of pass? Just thinking possibilities- I think I just gotta bite the bullet and buy an X28. 

Have you considered the options on the Warrior Customizer? If you get the QRL then you got like 15 blade options, Gionta W10 being closest I think, to what you are looking for (which is same as what I want, I think). 

I basically want a P88, with a toe curve instead of a mid, and just enough rocker that I can isolate the toe half of the blade and fire shots off the toe. On an STX Surgeon RX2.1 chassis. Am I asking too much?

I think the p46 curve flip12 suggested is the easiest option to try since you can readily find it at retail.  if you are willing to pay for custom then the Warrior Smyth or Gionta are also worth considering.  I won't go into further detail on those two as they've been discussed at length in plenty of other threads here over the years. 

I have had gametime success with all of the curves listed above.  There is something that each one had to offer that I really liked I am just trying to find something that does it all and it may not exist for me.  I take all types of shots and I do move my hands for one timers slapshots etc. I like a lower lie  at five or 5.5  because it puts the most blade on the ice for me. 

I love how easy it is to catch and send passes on the backhand w the PM9 and p88, love the velocity that I get with the P 28   And I like the size of the P 92 blade . I have never used a P 14 or P46 though. Ironically I am not having significant problems with my game pertaining to scoring with the P 28 there are just some aspects of the game that I am not totally comfortable with using it

7 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Ironically I am not having significant problems with my game pertaining to scoring with the P 28 there are just some aspects of the game that I am not totally comfortable with using it

Such as? (just the passes issue and backdoor one-T? or more?) I'm just curious of what I am getting myself into.

10 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Such as? (just the passes issue and backdoor one-T? or more?) I'm just curious of what I am getting myself into.

Backhand shots, catching passes on the backhand, shot set up time,But in its defense it's also been very versatile for me considering the toe and the lie help me protect the puck and send a mean no look pass Shot placement considering almost all my shots are going top left top right. But in its defense it's also been very versatile for me considering the toe and the lie help me protect the puck and send a mean no look pass

1 hour ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Backhand shots, catching passes on the backhand, shot set up time,But in its defense it's also been very versatile for me considering the toe and the lie help me protect the puck and send a mean no look pass Shot placement considering almost all my shots are going top left top right. But in its defense it's also been very versatile for me considering the toe and the lie help me protect the puck and send a mean no look pass

You are selling me on the X28- catching passes on the backhand is a concern, a skill that I feel barely competent in, with the easiest curve to catch backhand passes with (X88), but the possibility of sniping areas that I tend not to waste my time even bothering to look at, is a nice thought.

Sounds like the Warrior W10 (Gionta) may be right up your alley.  Lie is a Warrior 4.  Not my pics.  They were the best pics I could find on a Google search.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/booyaagrandma/Brad Richardson pro stock sticks/022.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/booyaagrandma/Brad Richardson pro stock sticks/020.jpg

40 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

Sounds like the Warrior W10 (Gionta) may be right up your alley.  Lie is a Warrior 4.  Not my pics.  They were the best pics I could find on a Google search.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/booyaagrandma/Brad Richardson pro stock sticks/022.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/booyaagrandma/Brad Richardson pro stock sticks/020.jpg

Is the Gionta W10 only available through the customizer? It looks like a less flipped under lower lie W28?

4 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

I have had gametime success with all of the curves listed above.  There is something that each one had to offer that I really liked I am just trying to find something that does it all and it may not exist for me.  I take all types of shots and I do move my hands for one timers slapshots etc. I like a lower lie  at five or 5.5  because it puts the most blade on the ice for me. 

I love how easy it is to catch and send passes on the backhand w the PM9 and p88, love the velocity that I get with the P 28   And I like the size of the P 92 blade . I have never used a P 14 or P46 though. Ironically I am not having significant problems with my game pertaining to scoring with the P 28 there are just some aspects of the game that I am not totally comfortable with using it

I should have been more clear, I meant the P14 in CCM which is the same as the PM9, not like the W14 or Bauer's P14. W10 is probably closer to the P88 or P28 lie, but I haven't compared those side by side. It is noticeably higher than the PM9/CCM-P14 and flatter on the last 2/3 of the blade up to the toe.

4 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Is the Gionta W10 only available through the customizer? It looks like a less flipped under lower lie W28?

Yes, the Gionta W10 is only available through the customizer as it was discontinued at the retail level several years ago. Sherwood had the PP01 Smith curve that was almost identical, but alas it was also discontinued after the EK15 stick and is very hard to find now (trust me, I've tried). It has a similar lie as the W28, but it's far less open then the W28. If you want something with a lower lie then the Warrior Smyth W06 - it's more of a mid-toe than true toe, but is the lowest lie of those three curves and is also the least open. Unfortunately, the W06 Smyth is also only available through the customizer. The closest readily available retail curve is the CCM P46.

How about P92 Lie 5? I am a little hesitant about falling in love with a rare curve. I love the P28 there are Just some things missing. If I were in front of an empty net with a P92 for example I could pick any spot to hit. I have in fact hit the crossbar from the blue line on command. Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist and it's the Indian that is the issue not the arrow or the bow

Tough to tell. You know yourself the best. Sometimes what you're looking for is right in front of you, and regardless of whether it's common or rare, if it's what fits, you can't deny it. Just sayin' P46 fits the bill you posted. The worst that could happen is you try it, love it and have to hunt for it. The P92-5 will be around, but you're accustomed to getting custom sticks somewhat from what I've gathered from your previous posts, so if it's your ideal pattern, you just get some customs made then--bam, you're set. If you don't love it, sell it and keep up the rotation.

11 hours ago, flip12 said:

Tough to tell. You know yourself the best. Sometimes what you're looking for is right in front of you, and regardless of whether it's common or rare, if it's what fits, you can't deny it. Just sayin' P46 fits the bill you posted. The worst that could happen is you try it, love it and have to hunt for it. The P92-5 will be around, but you're accustomed to getting custom sticks somewhat from what I've gathered from your previous posts, so if it's your ideal pattern, you just get some customs made then--bam, you're set. If you don't love it, sell it and keep up the rotation.

True makes the TC2.5 which is the P92 with a lie of 5 instead of 6 like the regular p92. If you're liking that curve and looking for a lower lie, this is the one. It's readily available from them in both the A-serires and Xcore lines.

32 minutes ago, darkhors said:

True makes the TC2.5 which is the P92 with a lie of 5 instead of 6 like the regular p92. If you're liking that curve and looking for a lower lie, this is the one. It's readily available from them in both the A-serires and Xcore lines.

I took a quick look at one of those and it actually looked higher than their MC (P88).

5 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I took a quick look at one of those and it actually looked higher than their MC (P88).

It may be just a hair higher, but it's as close as you can get without custom ordering a lie 5 P92. I switched to that from the MC and I've had much better luck with that. The only learning curve :) I had was that my shots starting going a little too high. After about 2 or 3 skates, I had brought it down to a good level though.